Paddling....

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
This is not to anyone in particular- just My opinions.
I know all you parents are trying to do things the best you can.

I believe that parents need to make children take them seriously when very young. Then they have a habit of listening and mostly obeying before they get big. Be consistent about the rules. Make them know some things are off limits at their age, and other things are never acceptable. Let them know that bad actions have consequences they wont like. Different punishments still work better for different kids. Talk to them about cause and effect in ways they can understand. Example - comparing jail to being on restriction for years- because a grown up did something really bad. It's good for them to know every body has rules they are supposed to follow and can get in trouble if they don't. Kids hear enough news to find a good example. Many kids respond to you asking leading questions that lead to "was that being nice or fair".

I grew up babysitting and one family told me I had permission to spank if needed. In 7 years with their 4 kids- I only spanked once. Toddler with a hand in the knife drawer. One swat stopped the action and then I talked to them about it. It never happened again. I told them the only reason I did it was because that was dangerous and that I still loved them all and wanted them to be safe.

Same kid liked to bully. I'd tell him to stop or he was going to be in trouble. If he continued I made him go to his room. He hated that, but that's why it worked. Once he quieted down in there, I'd go say good night and tuck him in if he was sleepy. If he was wide awake but calmer- I'd ask if he was ready to be nice to his little brother. He normally said yes. I'd tell him, "you remember that or you'll be by yourself again and everybody else will still be playing". He behaved better for me than for other people. He knew I would be fun, and fair, but I would NOT back down.

I was hit alot growing up and most of it was due to the parent not handling stress well. ( Came home in a bad mood from work and took it out on me. ) I realized quickly that it was not my fault and that I needed to escape fast when there was a certain attitude. The neighbors should have reported it , but never did. Court ordered family counseling, anger management, and parenting classes would have been a big help.

I will only give a quick spank over something that is dangerous. Other than that, whatever works - use it.
Good luck everybody. :)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Hey, Laurel the good witch - i agree except for the part about burying the head of the parents on a dirt crossroads with hickory handled knives while dancing about with cloven hooves.

Seriously I have two boys and neither got a wallop like I got for 15 years straight, my dad came home tired and mean - my brothers and me got the belt for just being kids. A swat works good on kids less than 5 because they can not understand reasoning or when the danger is great, but any older is just taking your anger out.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Dad came home extremely tired---but smiling.

WOW it sure comes down to personality in parents in the end.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
My Dad came home extremely tired---but smiling.
WOW it sure comes down to personality in parents in the end.
some parents are bueno for crap [sic].

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
What a healthy or vicious cycle parents begin when they parent their children. It is SO hard for badly parented people to break the cycle and start a new one.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Hey XPC,
I'm not sure what to say to that.
Yes, I'm, Pagan. Was that you, dancing with me? :lol: That mental image is funny- but we don't want to scare anybody. :hide Besides, digging while dancing would be hard work. The closest I have to cloven hooves is high heels. I could pole dance (a little) with my hickory walking stick. Will that work? :bun

Seriously:

If my Mom and Dad had a song, it would have been Paradise By the Dashboard Light. Teenage hormones got the better of them, they married straight out of high school, not grown up yet, and hated it. :rant :somad Thank goodness they Divorced.

My Mom is alive in Florida and we have made friends. We have certain things we will never agree about, but care about each other. She visited this summer and it went well.
My Dad is alive but if they stayed together, they might have killed each other. They did not get along. He did not raise me. I got his personality anyway. :tongue She couldn't escape it. :rolleyes: Mom and him were totally incompatible and divorced when I was a toddler. I got to know him well when I was 29. He turned into a really good guy. Just needed more time to grow up, and a wife that he had more in common with. They've been together about 30 years. :thumbsup

Raised with stepfathers. She thought we should be raised with a father but that didn't turn out well.
One died after we left. She was in another part of the country.
Another (mean S.O.B.) probably died of old age by now. I could dance on that grave. He was a violent, perverted, controlling type that made sure the family seemed fine to the outside world.
I broke the cycle. Partially by not making kids. I love them but didn't have any.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Do people seriously have paddles for their children? :lol:

That sounds nice compared to being beaten with a stick! LOL.
My dad always had a 1x1 4-5 foot long stick that he would use when we were little. Then as we turned older it turned to shovels.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had paddles! :) And, occasionally, switches...but they were small and light. I found that a lightweight utensil like this was less forceful than using my hand. Stings but doesn't create any damage to deeper tissue.

My dad used to hit us with his hand when we were real little and my sister used to squirt pee when he did this! Too jarring for a little person to have the force of all that bone, muscle and sinew swung at them.

BB, I am so very sorry! :(

Reaction score
BB that is horrible. My Dad had a canoe paddle he threatened us with, but he never used it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Geez--this thread is so depressing.

Here's a question I would like to ask: Was discipline of past generations truly abusive? Back in the day, everyone was getting beaten with a switch or other tool.

Today, that would cause a child to be sent to foster care. So, is this just parenting mores and societal views changing, or was it always abuse?

Also, did almost all parents discipline this way in the good ol' days?