Peeling free-range eggs?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome Bruce :frow

I've tried nearly all the suggested methods and still destroyed eggs, so I started boiling them, once they were cooked, I removed them from the water, cracked them all over with a spoon, making sure to damage the membrane under the shell, before dropping them into cold water. After a few minutes I remove them from the water and peel the shells off easily. I only destroy about 10% of the eggs now :p

That's what I do too.

Howdy @Bruce !! Good to see you here!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've tried the salt and vinegar methods didn't see a change in how a fresh free range eggs peeled. I love to do deviled eggs but don't like the fact that I have to boil more eggs. I've also tried to only cooling them down to where I was able to put my hand in the water- had a little bit better time of peeling and not taking so much white off.
I have found that once I cool hard boiled eggs I put them in a tall bowl ( three pound butter tub) with water in the fridge overnight then bring them and water up to room temp before I begin to peel the shells come off a little bit better and easier. I also crack them in several places before I start to peel and I don't ruin too many eggs so I get a good turnout of smooth deviled eggs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Because they're fresh!!

I always use the oldest eggs for hard boiling. I run them under cold water right after boiling and they usually peel ok. Someone said add vinegar to the water maybe? Hmm I'll go try to find where I read something like that...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Salt in the boiling water and ice water bath. Search the forum, I think there was a thread.

I the freshest eggs are best for hard boiled eggs!

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
There is, I can't seem to post the link via my phone

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is the answer I got a few years back when I had the same question. You can peel fresh hard boiled eggs if you cook them like this. Bring enough water to cover your eggs to a boil. Gently use a large spoon to place each egg in the boiling water. Boil 14 minutes. Remove from boiling water and submerge in enough cold water with ice cubes (needs to be very cold). Wait until the eggs have cooled down, crack all around and peel. Shell should come off without ripping the white.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have tried fresh eggs and month-old eggs. Couldn't tell a difference.

I have not tried putting eggs into water that is already boiling. And I've always cheated and used cold tap water (well water), but never ice cubes.

I haven't tried salt or vinegar in the boiling water. Vinegar makes sense, as it would start to decalcify the shell.

I've been poaching eggs for egg salad, but my kids love deviled eggs and I've always wanted to try the hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage. Scottish egg?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the method I wrote above, but once in a while I get a stubborn one. I'm going to try your method next time.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to put to put a hole in the egg with a safety pin and then boil.

The trouble with our farm fresh eggs is the shell is really thick and fresh making them harder to peel.

The method above makes it easy to peel after sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of days or when first boiled and set in cold water.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Smiley-Welcome-82399.gif

Good to have you with us, Bruce, and a good egg story!