Peep Peep Peep! (Bert & Betty Lou go to the farm)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congratulations on all the girls!!! :D

I moved my quad of Welsh out of their pen yesterday into the bigger waterfowl pen - they now have all of the teenage ducks for company and a big blue kiddie pool. They're loving that kiddie pool!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Countess Darling von Darling spent the night in a hospital brooder. While her feet have totally straightened out, her eyes had crusted shut and the poor thing couldn't see the food and water.

Just like I had to do with Uno, I made a weak saline solution and swabbed her eyes until they opened. I had to do it several times throughout the day. By night they appeared like they were trying to stay open on their own.

She drank water right away after the first treatment, but we didn't see her eat until much later in the afternoon. She had me worried for a while but hubby witnessed her scarfing down food like mad. I did put a little ACV in the water and that really perked her up. Then she pooped everywhere so we figured she was on the mend.

This morning her eyes were fine, so I took her back out to mom and the siblings. Everyone piled in to the igloo for a group snuggle and all is well.

She was not the last duck to hatch but she is by far the smallest duck. We will have to keep a close eye on her.

On the general flock management front, our new drake arrived yesterday. He is from McMurray so we will have good genetic diversity in our small flock. He is HUGE and only 10 weeks. The girls have already decided he is cool and they are getting along fine. In keeping with our naming theme on the adult ducks (South Park) we have named him Cartman. He isn't fat, he's big boned! Really! :D

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Cartman. Too funny!

I can't believe how fast they grow - I thought chickens grew fast, but these ducks are like weeds!
I have a runt too, she's a spunky little pig. Glad to hear Countess is OK so far.
It looks like I got an even split of golds and silvers from Metzer. And I have a gold drake and a silver drake from Holderread's. We will wait until after the fair in July to pick the ones we are keeping.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Hubby borrowed my camera hence the lack of pictures but I will fix that later today. Anywho...

Cartman is a Silver. 2 of the adult hens I have are golds - 1 from Holderreads (Lexus), 1 from Metzer (Wendy). Shelley is my only Silver hen. Out of my last batch of ducklings I have 1 gold drake who needs a new home. Out of my newest batch, it looks like the Countess is the only gold. All the rest are silver.

Speaking of Spunky runts, when I brought Countess back, Prairie Dawn came up to check her out and Countess pecked at her. What a brat! LOL

Wifezilla

Reaction score
585_100_4120.jpg

Here is the Countess :love

Wifezilla

Reaction score
She looks even cuter now that her eye can open all the way. You can see it was a little goopy still when I took this.

Her snuggle toy in the brooder with her is a small scarf sampler.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
She's back in the hospital brooder : sigh :

Her eyes crusted up again. I also brought in the last baby that hatched (another girl! LOL) to keep her company but Betty Lou wanted nothing to do with big sis and peeped her fool head off. So Betty Lou went back to the pen with mom and the rest and the Countess is recovering on her own.

Eyes have been swabbed and she did drink. I haven't seen her eat yet. Hopefully she makes it. Poor thing is having a rough start.

Here is a group shot...
585_100_4123.jpg

From left to right: Countess, Bert, Betty Lou (back), Abby Cadabby (front), Zoe and Prairie Dawn

There was one last egg on the nest. It was a boy that tried to hatch but didn't make it. This whole hatch was seriously messed up so I am thankful I got any live healthy ducks. I will let her try again next Spring. Hopefully Lexi will have more of a clue :p

Well crap! The Countess didn't make it. I am bummed.