Permaculture for when the SHTF

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been listening to a lot of people talking about the right of the government to go into your home and taking your foodstores. Of course this has been the case since the Civil War when so many Southerners almost starved to death because of this.

SHTF or not we should be able to feed our families whether we have foodstores or not. I like the idea of growing plants that look like common weeds in or near the fences, woods around ponds that don't scream groceries.

Some ideas I have thought planting is herbs, multiplying onions, Jerusalem Artichokes . Of course foraging wild berries, fruits, mushrooms, common weeds like dock, poke salad, sorrel, hickory nuts.

I love to hear other ideas on this subject.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have several wild edibles right in our back yard. Not sure I'd wanna eat 'em unless I could keep the chickens and dogs off, lol. But, we've got chickweed, dandelions, purslane, and plantain. I'm not real sure what to do with plantain... maybe it's more medicinal? But, we've also got tons of black berries and a southern favorite - dewberries. Not sure that'd be more than subsistence living, but that's better than nothing!

I've always been curious about Jerusalem Artichokes, but I've heard they can be invasive. However - what better type of plant to have if your hungry, right? LOL

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes I've heard they are invasive too, but if you were eating them that might be a good thing. Also, people with diabetes that have a tough time with potatoes can eat them as a starch vegetable in the same way as potatoes. Plantain is edible but makes an excellent medicinal plant for skin irritations, infections.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plantain is edible, but you need to get the leaves when they are small as the veins can be tough. The seeds are edible too... you've heard of psyllium seed, right?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another thing to do if you have stored food is to NOT store it all in the same place/area. Most folks store there food (canned goods, emergency supplies, etc.) in the basement. It is best to scatter your food supply around, including putting some in any other buildings/hiding spots you may have on your property). You want to have one "expendable" and "obvious" storage area so if the government or invaders come in during a SHTF episode, they find it easily and think they got all your food and supplies....but the majority you actually have hidden.

I was reading an article a while back about the biggest mistakes people will make if there is a SHTF episode at some point, and this was one of the tips. Another, which I never thought of is to not make your house and property into a fortress, because any fortress can be breached...but to make your place look like it has already been ransacked. i.e. scatter unneeded furniture, household items, etc. outside, so it looks like the marauders have already ransacked your place.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another thing to do if you have stored food is to NOT store it all in the same place/area. Most folks store there food (canned goods, emergency supplies, etc.) in the basement. It is best to scatter your food supply around, including putting some in any other buildings/hiding spots you may have on your property). You want to have one "expendable" and "obvious" storage area so if the government or invaders come in during a SHTF episode, they find it easily and think they got all your food and supplies....but the majority you actually have hidden.

I was reading an article a while back about the biggest mistakes people will make if there is a SHTF episode at some point, and this was one of the tips. Another, which I never thought of is to not make your house and property into a fortress, because any fortress can be breached...but to make your place look like it has already been ransacked. i.e. scatter unneeded furniture, household items, etc. outside, so it looks like the marauders have already ransacked your place.

Cool idea!

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jerusalem artichokes (I call them sunroot, since they are not from Jerusalem nor are they artichokes . . . no big deal, the story of their name is fascinating).....I have grown them here in New England for many years and they stay pretty much where I plant them. If I miss a tuber, then I have a plant there next year.

Apios americana is a good plant to have - beautiful, looks a little like wisteria. Produces edible tubers - I boil them and scoop out the creamy flesh.

Speaking of invasive, if you know of a patch of Japanese knotweed that does not get sprayed, I am told the early shoots are tasty.

There are entire books on these things. Another tip I came across for hiding pantry items was to dip metal parts (lids or entire cans) in wax before placing in a hideaway place to avoid rusting.

Violet leaves and flowers are yummy and can be dehydrated and stored as well.

So many folks would not recognize a food plant, that having a good number of perennial vegetables around is probably overall the best strategy. Another weed I like that you can look up is lamb's quarter. Young leaves are nice, the seeds can be used to make porridge. And don't forget stinging nettle. Very nutritious, and excellent as a tea, or cooked like spinach - one could make saag or a spinach-like cream soup from it.

A number of cultures use ceramic crocks for fermentation, and bury the crocks underground while they ferment...might be difficult to find them, and someone might not be sure the contents are edible XD