Pet peeve of the day

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
People that think shaving a dog is acceptable form a tick control. Hah! A deer tick nymph is 1 - 2 mm in size. A dog's rate of hair growth is 0.42 mm/day. So even if I dip your dog in Nair today and it is totally and completely shiny-pink naked, in 4 days you won't be able to find a tick nymph (and nymphs can spread tick-borne diseases).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pet peeve is people who wake up every morning and decide to be a grouch! Every day is a blessing so spread sunshine not gloom. :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
People that think shaving a dog is acceptable form a tick control. Hah! A deer tick nymph is 1 - 2 mm in size. A dog's rate of hair growth is 0.42 mm/day. So even if I dip your dog in Nair today and it is totally and completely shiny-pink naked, in 4 days you won't be able to find a tick nymph (and nymphs can spread tick-borne diseases).
Never heard of that before! We do have a few that clip [not shave] a dog for heat relief usually the breeds that have two coats. With our short springs It can become hot in a hurry and a dog can really suffer from the heat while he is in the process of shedding. After your people shave a dog do they then search his skin to remove ticks?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
My pet peeve is people who wake up every morning and decide to be a grouch! Every day is a blessing so spread sunshine not gloom. :)
AS a grouch I can tell you it isn't a decision and a lot of it is caused by our failure to get a good night's sleep. In my grouchy opinion is should be legal to take measures to avoid contact with people spreading sunshine.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
~gd said:
FarmerChick said:
I do everything perfect gd. Bless your Heart I'm sure you do!

bear bait :p I have my own word for those idiot drivers in the faster passing lane going the speed limit.
Well I do know some Highway patrolmen that will agree with you about that. My pet is the drivers that zip around me and then slow down until I am right on their 6 and then I have to decide to either zip by them. reset the cruise control, or blow my horn. I drive a junky truck so blowing the horn usually works. If I zip around them they usually will pass me again shortly and slow down again If I set the cruise control slower I get a tail of people that won't pass bit curse me for not driving faster
with that kind of grief, maybe ya should hang up the truck for good :D pedal power!
There is a limit to what I will bare about myself to win a agruement Let me just say that my junky truck is fitted with a full set of Hand controlls. Pedal power is not a option for some......

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Definitely have to disagree with you ~gd. How you approach your life IS a choice.

I wake up every day and decide that despite life's challenges I don't have to be nasty. I miss sleep, I've lost loved ones, I hurt, I ache, I'm tired, I'm stressed - but it's no one else's fault and I'm not going to take it out on a stranger just because it's easy to do on an anonymous forum.

If I tell you that I think you are an intelligent person because I've seen evidence of that here I would hope you would enjoy the compliment. And, on occasion, I've even seen you be nice, so I know it's possible.

I don't care how hard any one tries - you can't make yourself feel better by trying to make someone else feel worse.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Definitely have to disagree with you ~gd. How you approach your life IS a choice.

I wake up every day and decide that despite life's challenges I don't have to be nasty. I miss sleep, I've lost loved ones, I hurt, I ache, I'm tired, I'm stressed - but it's no one else's fault and I'm not going to take it out on a stranger just because it's easy to do on an anonymous forum.

If I tell you that I think you are an intelligent person because I've seen evidence of that here I would hope you would enjoy the compliment. And, on occasion, I've even seen you be nice, so I know it's possible.

I don't care how hard any one tries - you can't make yourself feel better by trying to make someone else feel worse.
**Like** :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gd, you'll just have to get a cow catcher put on that truck. gentle nudge out of the way will suffice. people seeing an older truck with a type of battering ram on it will get ya fast respect :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Reminds me of this:

It is said that Abraham Lincoln, when he was President of the U.S., was advised to include a certain man in his cabinet. When he refused he was asked why he would not accept him. "I don't like his face," the President replied. "But the poor man isn't responsible for his face," responded his advocate. "Every man over forty is responsible for his face" countered Lincoln.
I couldn't find anything on line as to why he said it (got tired of looking), but Lincoln basically went on to say that by the time a person hit 40, everything that he had thought or done was shown by his face.

We all have problems, some physical, some emotional, some in relationships, etc. But, what matters isn't so much the problem, but how we choose to deal w/it. I choose to handle mine w/humor, and looking for the good. Not everyone understands this, and many people probably think I'm either a nut case, or very superficial. I'm neither. It's how I'm able to deal w/life w/out going under or creating a cloud of gloom around me. I don't need to make others feel bad to make myself feel better. I prefer to make others feel better if I can for in doing so, I also make myself feel better. I choose NOT to dwell on the negatives, but instead, on the positives.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

This should be made into a sampler and stuck on every single wall in the world, as well as tattooed onto some people's hands so they can refer to it frequently or more often, and it should be taught in every single school as required knowledge before graduating.

If waking up with a sunny personality were a bad cold virus, I would pray that everyone in the world come down with a huge, irreversible, incurable case of the "sunnies" so that we could all live a better life! I'd go around sneezing on every single surface I could just so that all the grumps and grouches, the mad for no apparent reason and the just wanna make everyone miserable because I am people could catch a big healthy dose of the sunnies. :weee :weee :weee :clap

What a wonderful world it would be!