1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plastic up the porch - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

pillow case skirts

Discussion in 'Everything Else Homestead Living' started by milkmansdaughter, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Sep 7, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

I sew like I do most things, impulsively and without a real plan, certainly without a pattern. But these are super easy so I thought I'd share.
    There's a little girl in our church who just started school. She's 5, and tall for her age, but skinny. Her mom has had trouble finding dresses for her that are long enough without being too big around the waist. Sooo, I'm making some (to her mom's delight.)

I went to a thrift shop looking for ideas, and found some cute pillow cases. Since most of the hems are already done, it's way less work for me. We measured her waist size, and the length wanted. Then I lay a pillow case down, measure length from the open end. (Add about 1 1/2 inches for a hem.) Cut to length. Hem. Cut a piece of elastic to the size of her waist. Put inside hem and you now have a little girls skirt. Works probably up to age 6 or 7.
    Embroidered pillow cases are cute, and colored cotton works great. Here are a few of the first ones I finished.

Attached Files:

baymule, Beekissed and TexasLisa like this.
  2. Sep 7, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

Btw, i have extra material for each pillowcase, and was thinking of making matching hairbands. Any easy ideas on how to make some?

3. Sep 7, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Cute skirts! And easy. I used to sew a LOT...after everyone grew up, did prom, did weddings, I got away from it. Now that I am serious about "retiring", would love to get back into sewing again. Have everything. Including fabrics. You know "the one who dies with the most fabric is the winner". :lol:

There was a time when I made my entire wardrobe & kids, too.
    Now, I'd probably sew for self -- then do kids and donate to a church group, shelter, etc. It's a fun hobby. You seem to have found an outlet, kudos!

It's hard to find a GOOD fabric store now.

ETA: used to make doll clothes with extra cuts from the DGD dresses

milkmansdaughter and TexasLisa like this.
  4. Sep 7, 2018
    TexasLisa

TexasLisa Almost Self-Reliant

Beekissed likes this.
  5. Sep 7, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

@Mini Horses, I've done lots of simple things over the years: hems, buttons, jumpers and skirts when my daughter was small, but never anything like pants, or shirts. I can't even imagine doing something like wedding or prom items, but i have two friends who did. I did help at the school costume department sporadically over the years with things like school plays. I've had almost no lessons ever so its mostly just looking at something and figuring it out by eye. But even I can make these!

6. Sep 7, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

@TexasLisa Those are really cute, and perfect for what I had in mind! I don't know any of the sewing terms, but they look easy enough, and I have plenty of scrap to practise on. Thanks!

7. Sep 7, 2018
    TexasLisa

TexasLisa Almost Self-Reliant

:) I had a feeling once you looked at the pictures, you could do it! Don't forget to post pictures!

sumi and milkmansdaughter like this.
  8. Sep 7, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

9. Sep 7, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I was thinking too, that you could just sew the fabric into a pocket/sleeve for a piece of wide elastic, then stretch it and sew it much like you would make a waste band so that when released it had gathers. Then you could even make little fabric flowers to sew onto the finished band at the seam where you connected the two ends.

Sort of like the back band of these but make the scrunchie looking piece for the whole headband....sort of like a very large scrunchie.

[​IMG]

And I really like the looks of this one, with the patchwork look.....

[​IMG]

I love, love, love those little skirts, MMD!!! So easy, so simple and so sweet on a little girl. I'd probably incorporate tiny side slits so they could squat and move easier when they play. I bet you could make some mighty cute little pinafores or aprons for little girls out of pillow cases as well.

I may have to look for ideas for that for my two so they have little aprons they can put on in the playhouse. Aliza has one already I found at GW but it's adjustable and hard for her to put on by herself.

10. Sep 7, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

Oh, Bee. Those are really cute! And thanks for the ideas. The girls LOVE aprons. Here's one I just finished using an old scarf instead of elastic in the waistband. 20180907_104824.jpg

Mini Horses, TexasLisa and Beekissed like this.