Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and last but not least...
the nekkid dogs...

Ruby, a 4yr old powderpuff (aka not so nekkid) chinese crested. i keep her in a pony cut as she HATES HATES HATES to be brushed...
shes my angel, she got off to a rough start in life, but now shes just...well...my heart.

ruby.jpg

belive it or not, this was her at about 5 months old
th100_1424.jpg

yup...she USED to be a chestnut top...then she whent white and now shes a loverly soft strawberry blonde lol.
oh and shes 10 1/2 lbs full grown.

and my Very realy nekkid man...
Jasper...

hes now 2 1/2 yrs old, a crazy nut job and my baby lol...
ive never met a dog like jasper before...hes certainly a hand full, but i adore his odd alien nekkid self!
IMG_0165.jpg

he looked a little like an odd hamster alien lifeform when he came home...
hard to belive he fit in my hand
thPictures055.jpg

hes 6lbs full grown.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm glad your journal title caught my attention.

Sorry kitty is in lockdown -- hopefully she'll get over herself soon. Is that Tempi? She's beautiful, and sad that someone could throw her in the garbage. I hate hearing of things like that done to animals. People should be more responsible. :somad

I love Phish's bowl too. I've set up betta bowls before, but yours is so nice! I might have to try that someday.

And I love the stories about JackJack. In another life I was owned by parrots and smaller birds, and raised a few. I never had a mini macaw, but I soooooo wanted one! Never had a linnoleated keet either, had only just heard a bit about them, but they sound wonderful.

So glad to "meet" your furred, feathered, and finned friends! :frow

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, and I hadn't seen the crested pups when I posted. They are ... Umm ... Interesting.

Hehe, no offense intended. I've always thought they were certainly interesting dogs, though not exactly my style. I've wondered what it feels like to pet a hairless dog?

I've always loved your sig though. Hehe, I wonder what other dogs DO think of them!?!? :idunno

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, petting jasper varies on who you ask, my dad things its yicky and will only pet his head lol.

personally i dont mind it, i keep his skin in good condition so it feels like a babies skin, slightly velvety.

they are definatly aquired taste, i never even considered them untill ruby entered my life...now i dont think i could live without a couple! lol. their origins are realy odd, there from africa, we know that much, and the chinese took them aboard the ships because they are wonderfull ratters (even now) and with the lack of coat they dont tend to be prone to fleas, so they were better than cat for the boats. and of course they took them around the word and they became known as chinese cresteds...

but in reality its bleived they are decendants of an african pariah type dog, almost a mix between a sighthound and a terrier...definatly makes sence, they run like the wind (id LOVE to lure course them...) they also have specialized feet, they actually have a functioning knuckle joint (like people) and can grip fully, which makes them excelent diggers and tree climbers...
they are a little cat like in personality though, happy go lucky with their people, but standoffish with strangers by nature and quite aloof.

i get alot of questions about them because most people that know of cresties automatically think "uglisets dog contest" and it brings forth the images of the poor dogs on the contest...most of which are mixed breeds form bad situations...
a well bred crestie, while "odd" due to lack of coat, it a beautiful animal, they remind me a little of ponies lol.

and yes thats my mamma kitty, shes goign to make some beautiful babies thats for sure...im getting excited now, genetics realy intersts me and i have an idea of what to expect depending on which of the 2 stray toms got at her...but itll be interesting to see if we get any variation in what im expecting.
i set her box up this afternoon and sprinkled some cat nip in there to entice her in....she seems to like it and has stopped begging to go out...
for now at least lol.

as a side note...
im inlove witht he mini macaws, and plan to possibly add a hans to the family in a few years :D
the only problem i have with jack jack is he has absolutly NO fear, he chases the dogs and cat...im lucky with tempi....shes partially afraid of him, partially curious, but for whatever reason her prey drive doesnt kick in with him, shell watch him for hours, and when hes out shell sit on his cage, and then hell chase her and shell acoid him untill he gets right up to her, then he pulls her tummy hair and she bopps him on the head, she never uses her claws, untill shes had enough then she bolts...

i have to watch him like a hawk around jasper though, he likes ot try and ride jasper who doesnt apreciate it, and jasper will snap at him when he gets right in his face...but im more worried about jack doing serious damage to jasper than the other way round...
he has a very large beak and very strong feet/claws.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I love that pic of Jack Jack when you first got him. He almost looks like a toy that's been really loved by a child.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great to know some history and detail on the Chinese cresteds. :)

I knew what they were by sight as a child, but I guess they were not a breed that interested me much and I never read up on them. Not that there was probably much info to read. I think most people probably never did hear about them until the ugliest dog contest, and I was appalled at those dogs. I had no idea what kind of representatives they were but ... I think one person said they usually lose their teeth? That seems odd to me. Why breed a dog that can't even effectively eat it's own food? I am glad to hear the health of the breed in general is better than that show leads one to believe.

I always thought genetics was fun too. I used to have fun as a child breeding various kinds of small rodent pets. I never did achieve what I wanted though -- a particular tri-color pattern with a particular coat type. I got close though. You never know -- I THINK a cat can have litters with multiple fathers, so perhaps you'll get a lot of variation. I know zero about cat coat color genetics. :)

Ah, you mentioned Hahn's. That was what I MOST wanted. Talk about big bird personality in a tiny body!

I used to have birds that would interact in various ways with my dogs. I'm glad the dogs were steady, well-trained, and patient. Once I was worried though -- a bird was pulling hairs one by one from a seven-month old pup I had put on stay, and it was a minute before I could get to the pup and bird. The pup was REALLY unsure, but he stayed and did not eat the bird (it was a cockatiel and an 80 pound pup).

I can understand your kitty being afraid of a severe macaw though.

And petting a dog that feels like a baby doesn't sound bad at all. :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the hairless have bad detention, (they tend to loose teeth)
its due to a number of factors...1: being the basis of the breed, while they are not classified as a "paraiah" or "primitive" breed they do have all the characteristics of primitive breeds including shallow roots of the teeth, the coated veriety has better rooting making their teeth less suseptible to loss...

now to go further one must know a little about the crested genes.

EVERY chinese crested has the "space" for 2 codes dictating hair type...
there are the hairless (hl) and the powderpuff (pp) with the hairless gene being dominant (there actually the only hairless breed whos hairlessness is truely dominant)

a dog with 2 copies of the hairless gense is NOT viable, they are reabsorbed in the womb,

so ALL hairless dogs have both the HL and PP
being resessive all powderpuffs have only the PP gene.

so breed a hairless (hl/pp) to a hairless (hl/pp) you will fo course get some pups with a hl/pp, some pups with a pp/pp and some pups with a hl/hl...the hl/hl pups never develop into fetuses, they are simply gone.

the bad teeth is linked to the hl gene...

powderpuff however have good detention normally...

now in the early days of the breed (gypsy rose lee time)
the powderpuff was a MAJOR fault, and were killed at birth...
so of course the only dogs being bred were hailress to hairless which with a limited gene pool to begin with, combined with the existing link to hairlessness, the tooth detention simply got worse.

as time whent on some breeders kept the coated pups, and found that the powderpuffs didnt have the issues with the teeth that the hairless had and realized that they could strengthen the tooth issue in the hairless by including the powderpuff in the breeding program...

unfortunatly however by the time this caught on, there was alot of damage done to a breed with a pre-existing tendency to loose teeth making the tooth loss even more common.

now the powderpuffs are just as important as the hairless and most GOOD breeders are trying to strengthen the teeth in the hairless by using powderpuffs in ther breeding program and using hairless that have good teeth and good tooth history. (ie the grand dam, and dam both having their teeth untill their teens)

ontop of it all like all toy breeds cresties are also prone to plaque build up, which of course in a breed already prone to dental issues, just makes for alot more toothless cresties, especially those that come from mill and neglect cases.

i can ramble about the nekkid ones for hours and hours, i understand there not a breed for everyone, but even so their history and genetics are soooo unique and interesting.

i liek to tell people however that they are actually inteligent beings from another planet come to earth to observe our culture :p

ive had people belive me...

my favorite though was when i got stopped by animal control and the police in a petsmart because someone called in to the authorities that i had an african painted (or wild) dog puppy (jasper is spotted, but since hes DEFINALT not a dalmation, he must be some wild exotic animal...)
it took me almost 2 hours with law enforcment explaining that hes not a wild exotic animal but instead a chinese crested.

the AC officer told me, "that cant be a chinese crested, those dogs are ugly, hes not ugly...you cant have exotic canines in connecticut..." i actually had to have my sister bring his registration papers AND have my vet talk to the guy...
hed never seen a crestie beyond the ugly dog contest and just assumed all chinese creteds look like a mogwi thats been fed after midnight.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
abifae said:
awww! What sweet babies :D

Birds are so funny. My ex had a blue and gold macaw and we taught her the Time Warp.
You corrupted that poor bird! :lol:

I can't believe people would just put a kitten out with the trash. :th

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
worse, they had tied her feet together with fishing line, then put her up to the neck in a blastic bag and tied it round her neck with more fishingline...though it could very well have ben a case of they tied her completly into the bag but fishing line being slick she managed to wiggle her head free but couldnt get it past her shoulders.
then put her in a plastic trashcan and bungee corded it closed behind a bar.

if it wasnt for hearing her meow and me being a crazy nut who is willing to dig through trash she would have ended up in the compactor truck early the next morning.

its quite common to have bungees on the trashcans because of racoons... so they wouldnt have thought anythign of it...and they wear heavy ear protection and never look IN the traschcans, i mean...why would they? they just dump them into the back of the truck, the truck squishes it all and off they go.

i filled a police report but the bars cameras were not angled directly at tthe cans and so nothing was caught on camera, and the bar staff admited the only people that go back there are either going back there to take out the trash at the end of the shift or druggies.

tempi was just lucky that it was busy that night and id had to park around the back for my frineds birthday party, otherwise i would have never heard her and being i was one of the last to leave that night, she very well could have ended up as kitten mush in the back of a compactor truck...

i was very suprised once i got her all untied and cut free, that she was (and is) incredibly friendly to EVERYONE...

my mum said i should name her lucky, but i had a black cat called lucky growing up and it just didnt fit...
she wasnt supposed to stay but when i called the shelter they wanted a large cash donation in order to take her off my hands *rolls eyes* (i did offer to donate over $200 in cat food AND pay for her shots...but they told me that would be lovely, but they still also needed a $100 cash "donation" in order to take her...)
so i planned to find her a home myself and called her "temporary" so i wouldnt get attatched...that was over a year ago LMAO. now her official name is "not so temporary" or Tempi for short.

if i keep one of her kittens its name will be chance...as in "not a chance in hell" exactly what my dad will say if i ask him if i can keep one LMAO!!!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
OMG that is TERRIBLE! I would have dug for her too!!!

:hit