Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well...
i planned my tn trip today...

if i make a road trip out of it, im looking at putting about 2200 miles on my car.
aside from the cost of gas im actually quite excited about the whole thing.

if i go the camping route itll be a 14 day trip with a mix of free "primitive" camping for the first 5 days, then about 5 days in a motel 6 (because camping in gatlinburg is expensive) then the last 4 days will be primitive camping again.

i figure to do this trip, assuming gas doesnt break $4 a gal before the end of may (im planning to do this sometime between mid april and mid may) ill need about $700.
that would cover gas to get there, back and should be all the running around i need to do...
it will cover a week at the motel 6 in pigeon forge
and will cover admissions into knoxville zoo, the aquarium of the smokies, dollywood (cause lets face it, if im going to be in the area i have to go ride the rolly coasters) and a 1 hour horseback trail ride in the great smokey mountains national park...(this bit is my congratulations for loosing as much weight as i have, i promised myself id get back on a horse once i lost my first 100lbs)
it should also cover food (since surgery i dont eat alot) along the way as needed.

and $700 is an over estimate, so i should have money to go back in the bank.

of course ill also have my emergency credit card with me thats currently got nothing on it...but im realy hoping to not have to use it...

now if i compare that with the cost of flights, renting a car and staying in cheap motels it will cost about $650 for a 1 week stay in TN with all the additioanl fun stuff i want to do...

so for an extra $50 i get the experience of my first real road trip, a combination of camping and "hotel" and an extra 7 days out of the whole thing.

i think im going to go with the camping option, it just seems more adventurous for me and what a way to see some of the beauty that is virginia and eastern TN.
i have decided that this trip i will NOT be going through North Carolina...i figure 2200 miles and 14 days is plenty far enough for my first real road trip lol.

im very excited about all this.
ive got to make a definat decsision soon because ill need to order my new hammock tent (i have one i got from a friend but its falling apart, it was home made by his dad then he used it as a scout and ive used it a few times...)
and i need a new sleeping bag because the Ex kept mine...he paid for it...but still lol.
and then i need to make inventory of exactly what camping gear weve got in the garage and shed and see what i need to replace.

the places im looking at for camping all have fire rings, some with grills some not so im not sure if ill need to pack the camp stove...i probably should in case of rain...and whatnot, but the one we have is a 4 burner and bulky...

oh all the thngs that go into preparing for a back country trip LOL!
craigslist and freecycle, here i come! :p

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OWIES!

so this morning i whent out to let the chickens out...
put my heavy boots on due to ice, got to the coop, let them out blah blah blah, NO problem, icey but not realy slick ice and my boots had good grip...
so then im heading back to the house and uh oh...
yup you guessed it, BOTH my feet managed to find the one small patch of glass slick ice along the path and everything turned slow motion, down i whent onto my none existent butt...

now let me say this...im a big girl...however i have NO butt...no padding whatsoever on a good day and since loosing almost 100lbs so far, what little padding i did have is now even more none existant.

i managed to land on my tail bone and then roll onto the 'sit bones" with a loud crunch thud sound...OWWWW!

and to top it all off i dont know how but i also must have found the only patch of razor ice in the world as my hand whent down behind me (in an attempt to break my wrist trying to cushion the fall lol) and as i lifted my hand off what looKS like slick ice theres some small but very deep gashes in the palm of my hand and blood on the ice...wtf...it looks like i put my hand in a small tub of glass shards!

and then i fell twice more trying to get back onto my feet thankfully my knees landed in the pile of only semi frozen solid snow along the edge of the path we dug through to get to the chicken coop...

i dont know what hurts worse, my butt, my hand, or my pride...
i swear the chickens were laughing at me!

*pout* owies!
stupid winter!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
whent a little spring crazy today...
its march first people, that means its almost spring...right?!

we always end up getting seeds started late and planting established plants too late, we never get full yeild off them...so this year im prepared...
picked up seed trays today and a bunch of seed packets, got a bit of everything, weve got way more than we need overall but im planning on freezing any seeds that dont get used so ive got them for next year too...

i cant tell you how excited i am to get the seeds started :D

ive even got sugar baby watermelons to plant this year *grins*
i Love watermelon!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I heard a red winged blackbird today. A hopeful sign for sure! I've got tons of seeds this year too. I need to get organized and figure out what I need to start when, or it will be late, just like you! :barnie

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well, i only plated on weds and today most of the lettuce seeds and some of the beans/peas have started to sprout...wasnt expecting that quick lol, gonna give them aother day or 2 on lockdown before propping the lid.

very excited :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, right now im hoping for early-mid april, but its going to be VERY dependant on gas prices, were at 3.69 in town right now and it was only 3.25 this time last week

so im seriously thinking about trading in my car for a horse, be cheaper to run!

in othernews for my fairly crazy week...
my big fishtank cracked and now im trying to find homes for 3 cichlids (anyone in ct with an african tank?)

i finally reached the 100lbs lost mark!
got another 60 or so lbs to go, but that was my first BIG milestone.
next one comming up in about 18lbs...getting under 200lbs...
i havent been under 200lbs since i was about 14...

my seed trays seem to be happily sprouting, quicker than i thought they would lol...one of these years ill get my timing perfect, but id rather be a little early than late. i can always put them in larger pots untill there ready to go outside...cant magically get them to grow quicker though...

im planning a BIG betta bowl project which im quite excited about for my coffee table...(i need to find the perfect bowl for the project first otherwise ill be turning it into a 1/2 land 1/2 water terrerium using my old 10 gal if i can find it.

trying to keep myself busy inside untill spring gets here lol.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
lol, right now im hoping for early-mid april, but its going to be VERY dependant on gas prices, were at 3.69 in town right now and it was only 3.25 this time last week

so im seriously thinking about trading in my car for a horse, be cheaper to run!

in othernews for my fairly crazy week...
my big fishtank cracked and now im trying to find homes for 3 cichlids (anyone in ct with an african tank?)

i finally reached the 100lbs lost mark!
got another 60 or so lbs to go, but that was my first BIG milestone.
next one comming up in about 18lbs...getting under 200lbs...
i havent been under 200lbs since i was about 14...

my seed trays seem to be happily sprouting, quicker than i thought they would lol...one of these years ill get my timing perfect, but id rather be a little early than late. i can always put them in larger pots untill there ready to go outside...cant magically get them to grow quicker though...

im planning a BIG betta bowl project which im quite excited about for my coffee table...(i need to find the perfect bowl for the project first otherwise ill be turning it into a 1/2 land 1/2 water terrerium using my old 10 gal if i can find it.

trying to keep myself busy inside untill spring gets here lol.
ooooh, is that like one of those fish table tank things? that'd be awesome! :) be eating sushi and look down and there's a fish staring up at you with those big non blinking eyes.... muahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! *ahem* i mean, that sounds interesting, you'll have to post pics :D

And :hugs :thumbsup on the weight loss! I lost mine the hard way, so good for you on doing yours!

Latest posts