Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
How did ya fare sis? We had a LOT of wind here, but everything seems fine this morning. Hope the greenhouse stayed put!!!!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well it didnt end up in ozz, but it did take a trip across the side yard...
THANKFULLY the strings id used to tie it to the fence snapped, other than loosing the dirt and seeds i started yesterday because judging by the mess it made of the fence posts (it almost ipped the heavy duty t-posts out) if it hadnt have broken loose it would have completly torn the thing apart.
ive got one small hole in the plstic that is barely noticable and should be easily fixed, and i had to rebuild it,
will have to start over with fresh dirt (because the seeded post all dumped into one big pile so id never know whatwas groing if anything did lol) and start over on all but the carrots, but nothing thats the end of the world, had some branches down and the goose pool (which was full of water) aparently also whent for a wander...it looks like someone ust dragged it across the yard full lol, so least i didnt have to fill that up this morning.
i think considering how bad it SOUNDED outside last night, i fared well...

in terms of the tie downs, my dad taught me a way to put in tent pegs that woudl hold down a tent even in the worst weather but come out easily is you pulled, its all about the angle you hammer them in in relation to the item your trying to keep from flying away (camping in the huge open feilds of the welsh moores makes for some very windy nights, we saw one tent et carried half way across the feild WITH people sleeping in it!!!

but honeslty right now im wondering if trying to tie it down is even a good idea...as i said, if it hadnt decided to go for a wander ive got a feeling it would have torn the plastic clear off with the strain...

not happy about loosing eveything i did yesterday (or all that dirt, which is going to get shoveld up and stuck in what wil eventually be compost pile where if they do germinate and grow its not that big of a problem lol.) but i can start over.

glad you guys fred ok WBF, probably a good thing you whacked own that bad tree huh?! lol

in terms of the garb, the only way to remake it would be to completly cut it up, its got 12 peices of 1/2 inch flat steel boning and LOTS of gromets lol. its adjustable form 36-46" and then with a special kind of lacing i can get it to 34"...but i now need a 30-32ish instead...

if it doesnt sell son though i might use it for drafting a pattern...never made a bodice/corset before, but i can try lol

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow, glad that was all the damage sis! Hpe it calms down tonight. That wind was bone chilling when we were coming out of the bank earlier!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you saved the green house with minimal damage. We're really windy here too. We've had gusts between 35 and 40 all day.... sheesh. Talk about a bad hair day, lol! And a bad driving day, and a bad day to put out hay cuz it just blows away and a bad day to bring in a handful of mail that ries to get away from you... and I'm sure there are lots of other things too!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We're supposed to get the rain overnight. We have some wind now, but not bad. But, it's supposed to pick up overnight. :(

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
was looking at the radar for my dad and yup theres a big patch of wetness heading their way lol. gusts up to 60mph which for them is alot! lol

its flat out COLD this evening, stillwindy so i didnt put the plastic back on the greenhouse yet, and the air is damp...but tomorrows a new day and quite honestly its time for me to go keep my bed company untill it gets here. im exhausted.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this yesterday i was down my tiny harli mini x rex cross baby girl bunny fiver...
i was sure something must have gotten her but no sighns of trouble...
this evening im puting everyone to bed and there she is sat on th bck deck. turns out shes figured out she can fit hrough the fencing wire...
going to have to pick up some mesh of some kind to put over the outside to prevent scapage, shes curretly in a hutch, the others are too big but once babies start ariving and moving around it could be an issue lol.
she knew where ot come to to find security it seems becue ot get to the house she had to cross the gap between the pen, climb through the back yard fence, up the steps (or over the concrete and round the back of the house...the entire area smells like cats and dogs because they go out that way...but she must have associated that entire zone with people too becaus there he ws justlooking at the door aiting for supper lol.
guess that the huge bonus of handling your buns regularly...
even in the pen, sucks because i have to watch where im putting my feet, BUT i dont have to worry too much about catching them theyll come right up to me for scritches lol.

got more dirt to re-start the greenhouse...so thats on tomorrows plan...

otherwise...no news is good news :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
you've got some pretty smart buns there, Pink! You're right, it does pay to handle them.

Edited to say: Bunnies - smart bunnies! (cuz 'buns' sounded kinda strange) LOL

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
theres this odd fluffy white stuff all abouts the place...
people keep calling it snow, but its not deep enough to be that horrible stuff! LOL!
its so pretty, this i cn handle, the little dusting here and there. grounds hard as a rock on the surface this morning though.

its COLD out though...
waiting for the sun to get a little higher then im going to go attempt to put the greenhouse plastic back on.
picked up dirt yesterday so would realy like to try and get everything re-started, and hoping this cold didnt destroy the carrot seeds in the only planter that survived LOL!
though im told a cold snap wouldprobaby do them some good. got a friend who puts her seeds in the freezer for 24 hours before planting and has great sucess so...*fingers crossed*
i only planted 1 crate as carrots are so cheap and i dont use that many, theseare mostly for the rabbits.

ducks are on hiatus agin...
its a good job i love those eggs becaue the runners are laying in waves...
i go form 3-4 (out of 5) eggs per day for 2-3 weeks then NOTHING for 2-3 weeks...
i think come spring ill add a little flock ofkahakis who supposedly outlay the runners...
just 6 more ducks.

im also planning a little chicken flock to fill in ducky gaps, so im depating between salmon faverolles, speckled sussex, leg/rhode bars or brown leghorns, jus a little flock, i know the leghorns will out lay them all but i want easy to keep home "lazy" chickens wholl e happy to wander around the feild but not try to go on vacation in the neighbors yards all too much...somehting that wont need 6ft fencing to keep home lol.

im definatly going to eb doing some chochin hens as broodies (save some money running the incubator lol) and because they are adorable) but i also want a little flock of good layers.
i know faves are very mellow, but i cant help but drool over the leg and rhode bars! lol

otherwise nothing going on...its chilly, going to hve to turn the heat up a little i think as it seems to have suddenly gotten even colder lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Snow?! Ugh! It is pretty, but oh what a mess. (not that I have tons of experience with it, lol)

I'm spending time in the garden today and had to change to short sleeves! It's a truly beautiful day.

I don't think you'll regreat getting some chicks. I have both Salmon Faverolles and Light and Coronation Sussex along with several other breeds. My Sussex are hands down my favorite birds. They get BIG, are soooo very laid back, lay well, will go broody, and the roo's get plenty big enough to eat. I love the breed and have eggs in the incubator right now. I've never had Speckled Sussex, but I'll bet they have the same qualities. Good luck on whatever breed you decide on.