Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmmmm....might be time for you to dole out some tough love here, Pink. Why in the world are you building desks and moving the bed in your brothers room????? He's able bodied, right? (if not, I apologize in advance...) Does he have an outside job? Is there some reason why he can't do these things himself? Just seems like you are taking on an inordinate amount of the work and not getting much appreciation for all your efforts.

Maybe you SHOULD throw an all out, girly, crying fit right in front of all of them!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well some good news and some crazy aniety stuff, but we'll forget the crazy anxiety stuff and focus on the goo news.
got someone who wants all 4 baby angora girls and their momma!
shes supposed ot be sending me 1/3rd the price via paypal to hold and deliver (its an hour rive to deliver but shes paying extra for gas and time) so once that comes and we set a pickup day/time ill be happy, its 4 buns I don't have to butcher, 5 mouths I don't have to feed right now and a cage opening up.
even if I don't sell the whole herd, 1 less doe is 1 less doe and the REW seem the hardest to sell here...
id like to move at least 1 more angora doe to free up space and minimize myself to 3 angora...that should be a lot more manageable...

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
body isn't co-operating quite as much as I like...BUT the t-post for the piggy fencing are in...the door is hung on the piggy house and the trim is up.

im REALY proud of how this has turned out.
I still need some white paint to paint the trim out and finnish it up, and that square frame on the side, I want to paint that...my plan is to paint my own version of an Amish Barn Quilt in there :D

10665716_1480290755578863_4745250331926800968_n.jpg

we pointed the door of the hosue towards the wall of the main house to be able to keep some open for ventiliation while avoiding the drafts which tend to come in towards the back of the pig house...hoping itll help keep the inside warmer and prevent snow buildup in that space between the house and the piggy house.

so tomorrow the fence goes up and I need to clear the main fenceline so I can put in the lower line of electric fence in, once that's all done its just a case of bedding it down, stuffing the walls full of straw and tada, piggies have their own house :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
id like you all to meet Bentley
10702143_1481266968814575_4026623030459544743_n.jpg

he looks a lot bigger in that picture than he actually is...hes itty bitty about 2 hands full lol.
hes probably going to mature around the 20lb range given his parents sizes.
hes a little freeked out right now, hasn't been away from his mother before...and is stinky...and needs a bath (which im going to do after I get a cup of coffee in me) but hes adorable and funny and just ate a little piggy food mashed up with milk since he wasn't interested in the straight milk...he ate some, rolled in some...you know, did the pig thing.
gonna go get the heatlamp form up at the barn soon as hes a little shivery (and once I give him a bath hell need warming through obviously) and hes talking to the girls so are huge compared to him LOL!. hes crated for his safety, they can see eachother and communicate but the girls cant get to him.

the drive was long...the drive home was longer, and im exhausted, but the days not over yet...still got plenty I ned to get done today...tylanol and coffee is going to have ot see me through.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
honestly rabbit meat is rabbit meat no matter what the breed.
cals, and Nzs are commercial brees, they took over popularity because they are pretty much the fastest growing of the bunch, have good meat to bone ratio and typically produce good sized litters.
I have 3 cal x nz mixes in my rabbitry (with a little flemmish thrown in apparently) that I breed to my rex specifically for butcher as my rex just sell much too well to put enough back in the freezer lol)
but I must say I don't like their personality nearly as much as my rex and well if your taking to fur too theres nothing more luxurious than a rex pelt lol...
if you don't mind waiting an extra 2 weeks to butcher, some of the heritidge breeds like rex, silver fox and chinchilla are wonderful, they tend to have been bred focusing more on maintaining a "pet" temperament as opposed to soley meat and forgetting temperament which ive found happens in the nz's and calis.

flemmish on their own NOT a good choice, despite being huger they are high in bone and grow SLOWLY, but mixing in with something else they are great
you could always do a flemmish doe with a cali nz rex champagne,silver fox whatever buck (always go for the buck being smaller than the doe) to get a slightly larger meat kit.

if your raising strictly for meat and pelt then id suggest going for some kind of mix in your favorite colors lol.
the meat tastes the same no matter what, look or something with a round body type (looks like a ball from above) ie rex, champagne, chinchilla, florida white, ect) that matures out around 9lbs by 8-10 months and youll typically have a good meat choice. :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, some of the stuff i find super easy...and other stuff just goes over my head, i have a super hard time with the chinchilla (c locust) genes,

but to keep it super easy pair a red rabbit with a tri-color and a broken red rabbit with a harlequin to get your calicos (tri-colors)
add in the chinchilla gene to get magpies (the harlequin/tricolors without the orange) but im not quite at that point yet, trying to work with my tri rex's first lol.

should be doing stuff today, but not feeling it...

moving the cages into the barn this week so realy need to figure out the game plan...
i realy want to sell some buns to make this easier and make a little room (and expand my best sellers later) but no bites on the adds :/
ive got 2 baby angora going home next weekend though so that's good.
but ive got 2 more that need to go from that litter, 2 young English lop boys that need to go, and id like to send 3-4 adult angora and my 2 ault e-lops to new homes, mabe even 1 of my calixnz girls...

right now the biggest issue is, in order to fit everyone in ill have to stack...my cages don't have trays...so ive got to figure out the easiest cheapest way to stop poop and urine falling into the lower cages.
im going to have to stack my rex and angora bank and probably the bosy cages ontop, the boys cages have trays so that's easy...the rex and angora cages don't however.
then i also have my 30x30's with my lops and meaty girls in that also don't have trays and will also have to be stacked. so ime to scour home depot.
thinking under bed boxes would work on the floor for poop collection, but not sure about upper levels...thinking mabe fashion some kind of sloping system...gah!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive ound peace lilly need water...LOTS of water, ive got one large one in a pot and ive found if I let it go even the least little bit dry it just keals over on me...yet the ones with no dirt just hanging out in my tanks are quite content to just sit there and do their thing, makes me wonder if they are actually a bog/water ways plant
ive also found they realy like soft slightly acidic water, something in the 6.0 ph range...they don't do well with hard mineral.

your right on the pothos though, I swear that stuff could grow in a cave. and it LOVES being suspended in the tanks, the root development on the bunch I planed in the filter in the very beginning is impressive.

this is the 10 gallon

10927179_10206207866818627_2877772887994903303_o.jpg

and then THIS is problem child bertha...still fighting her to get those nitrates under control!
10374497_10206207898459418_1605052310170310101_n.jpg

did a 50% water change again this morning, will just keep doing that every day until I get her under control. hoping the live plants will realy get a hold and help me out on this one.

other plans for today include finishing my cup of tea, cleaning my room, rebidding the brooder, an then cleaning the rabbitry, ive got a bunch of buns coming this weekend so gotta get that clean prepped, everyone moved that needs moving ect so I can fit everyone else in...
theres a couple of cages I want to move around a little, see if a bit of a reconfigure helps make the space more efficient too...itll be march before I can get the new rabbitry up and anchored as I need to wait for the ground to thaw...so itll be the barn for now. and theres 8, mabe 10 new buns coming in.

and yes...you heard me right.
Brooder!
we got 5 narraggansett turkey poults last weekend :D they are so cute!
1661336_1541251002816171_6036089992461879465_n.jpg

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your doing a great job! Just take a moment to breath.... Your a lot stronger than you think and you will make it through this!:hugs:hugs:hugs