Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looks like weve got a storm band trying to come through, some rumbling in the distance and the clouds are getting ready to let go... :D
i love a good thunder storm...
but we dont usually get the good ones...while eveyrone else in ct is listening to crash bang flashes...we get one or 2 and its gone lol

they always pass bethel quickly.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well...looks like im placing an offer on another house...
yup im a nut case lol!

its a bank forclosure...
a little under 1000sqft, 2 beds 1 bath on 6 acres.
gas heat and hook up for the stove (i love gas cooking)
well water (my agent triple checked lol)

she whent out today and theres a few things she mentioned.
no central heat or air...not a big deal i knew it was a gas heater from one of the pics i saw prior, its a big ole ugly gas heater...but hey, its a heater and gas is much cheaper than electric. id replace the heater eventually with a gas stove, something alot "prettier", theres at least 1 other gas heater in the house wall mounted, looks to be neer the bedrooms...

newer hot water heater and all new plumbing...*win*

house was owned by an older woman with mobility issues...when she passed away the family stopped paying the mortgage and never bothered trying to sell it...so its in good shape overall but dated, 80's carpet, some of that faux wood panneling in the bedrooms...
its also got some upkeep issues, the bathroom is dingy and needs a good scrub down, same with the kitchen cabinates, and the vanity in the bathroom is that plywood and has a corner on the bottom chipped away...nothing a little elbow greas wont fix.

i will need to buy new apliances...
and it will need a new roof within a year...theres some low spots...

however my agent was there for 2 hours today during a torrential downpoor and no signs of leekage, theres no water stains of cracks ect...so hopefully no serious damage and i can get a few months out of it before having it done
roof would definatly become the first "big job"

windows look good, no soft floors, no leaning walls, not visable rot, no water signs around the windows...

generally just a little 50yr old house that hasnt had any real tlc in a while.

and did i mention...6 acres!
the land is mostly level and open with some wooded along the back property line...id say mabe 1/2 an acre of wooded property total looking at the plat.
the land itself has been left to grow fairly wild over all but about 1/8th of an acre around the house...plenty of longer grass and brush to take care of...but hey, isnt that what goats are for lol!
it also has a large 2 car garage/whatever and a smaller storage building/shed in the back. i think the shed would happily become my storage unit and the garage could easily become a small barn/feed storage.

its 3 miles fomr the small downtown area, where theres a convenience store and a small 'country market', a meican resturaunt and a little cafe by the river...fire, police and post office are all in town 3 miles form the house...i could bicycle into town for basics or just to get out of the house...
major grocery is 30 mins away in savannah...

population of the town as of the last census was 345 :D

gonna talk to my agent tomorrow morning, have her write up a contract and get the offer in contingent on me seeing it...then looks like ill be taking a drive down there on weds, itll take a few days down a few days there and a few days back...but driving will be alot cheaper than flights which are $400 plus the cost of a car plus the cost of gas...
just driving down should cost me about as much as it would cost for the flight alone.
ill camp for the journey too so thatll save money.

oh boy...what am i getting myself into...again...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I say go with the flow.
This is what buying a house entail. You try various avenues until one just works without you having to force it.

I have family that looked for several years, and made numerous offers, and the one that worked has them sitting on 40 acres, with a massive shop, nice house that they will be adding onto, a gravel airstrip, numerous useful outbuildings and smack in front of a huge glacier.
A little slice of heaven.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
its 3 miles fomr the small downtown area, where theres a convenience store and a small 'country market', a meican resturaunt and a little cafe by the river...fire, police and post office are all in town 3 miles form the house...i could bicycle into town for basics or just to get out of the house...
major grocery is 30 mins away in savannah...

population of the town as of the last census was 345 :D
That's sounds like where we live... except around 500 people live in the larger town here... and 40 people live in our 'village' where our house is. I loved it when we moved here four years ago, but now it drives me crazy that the closest grocery (8 miles away in the town) doesn't carry ANYTHING but prepackaged crap and I have to drive 35 minutes to get anything other than milk and bread... Make sure that you are okay with the amenities in the small little town before you move :)

Good luck on the house purchase, it does sound like a great place! Things always seem to work out for the best, maybe that's why you've gone through all this so far.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol im lucky in some respects, fairly severe agoraphobia and a nice dose of OCD and sever social anxiety has made it so once monthly shopping and not venturing out of my house much are the norms...
right now i drive about 15 mins for groceries about once a month for myself and even that feels "too close"
the only reason its good right now is because im playing taie service for mum since her surgery so being close (shes a once to twice a week shopper dpesnign on waht we need) saves on my milage...but its tough for me to go out that often...very emotionally exhausting.
once a month for the "big stuff" is realy more than enough for my brain to compute :D
i have a 45 minute max for "major amenities" (larger grocery, movie theater, hospital or other medical facility) beyond that...
as they say...
im not realy a people person...LOL

I will miss having the YMCA local though.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
poor tempi kitty

dont know quite whats up with her.
she came back one morning last week with gooey eyes and just not herself...
vet said allergies or a kitty cold, shed been out in the rain a few days before and refused to come in...

she spent 2 days lazing inside, not realy interested in gong out then was fine again.

untill this morning. she was fine yesterday, normal talky self, drinking phishes water out of his bowl playing with willow, she slipped out before bed (i try and keep her in overnight but she often has other plans) and this morning shes home and just not herself again.
inner eyelids are swolen, but no gooey eyes...shes just grumpy...willow tred to greet her when she walked in and was greeted by a very unhappy sounding growl...
she mewed for me to fill the food bowl, so i obliged, she took a few mouthfulls then just lay there staring at it (mabe in hopes it would majigally change to filet minion?)
but as soon as jasper whent neer her, whome she usually ignores like its her job, she let out this realy evil sounding deep growl.

and right now shes lay n the sun her tail is twitching like crazy (whihc is typically willows sign to attack) and poor willow is sooo confused because everytime she goes neer her tempi growls realy nastily at her...

poor Tempi...wish i could read their minds...

in othernews...

got jack jack some new nuts yesterday...
i bought a bunch in bulk offline a few months back to make his own yummy mix...
various raw shelled nuts, seeds, dried fruits...yummy yummy...
but hes not a big fan of shelled nuts, he loves to work on peanut shells...but the almonds, hazlenuts and walnuts were just beyond his attention span...his beak can hendle them, but he had no interest in working on them so id always have to go through his bowl and crack them to get them started.

well yesterday we were at the grocery and they had some raw no shell nuts in bulk containeds by the lb for less than id paid online...so i picked him up almonds, pecans, cashew, and walnuts, as well as pumpkin seeds, he loves his pumpkin seeds in shell but ends up waisting alot because there hard for him to hold...
put his bowl in this morning and he goes over to explore his nut bowl and his eyes go big as he pulls out this big walnut...he runs off to his hihest perch going "oooooo" to himself the entire time!
silly bird!

I think im going to go every week and get a couple lbs of each of them to refill his bucket because when i buy them online i end up having to pay shipping as well which bulks the price up because i have nowhere to store 100lbs of seeds and nuts right now (and thats what id need to order for free shipping.

once i get my own place i also plan on growing hip roses so i cna dry some of the hips to add to his food...he loves rose hips and there high in vit-c! cant find them around here :(
none sweetend dried fruit is hard to find too and he loves his narner chips!