Pj homestead

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When he got Safeguard was it just one dose? Generally Safeguard is given three days in a row and repeated 10 days later. There are other wormers that may work better for him. Safeguard is generally a good wormer - it's gotten a bad reputation because a lot of times it's not used correctly. However, I won't argue that in some areas the parasites have become resistant. Again, usually because it's been used incorrectly. You might consider trying an Ivermectin product. Most livestock/feed stores carry Ivermectin paste that's made for horses. It's easy to use and generally effective. You could give him a dose, repeat in 10 days and again in 10 more days and again 10 days after that. That is a total of 4 wormings in 30 days. That protocol has worked very well for me when I've had really bad parasite years. It does sound like overkill - but repeated dosing gets the newly hatched parasites. Again, it is a very safe wormer and many people have used it successfully. Young animals are much more prone to problems from parasites than older animals. Older animals can build up a tolerance as they age.
He was only wormed once

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just checked the culvert and there is no blockages. Not sure if wildlife got him or if he got feed up with me and moved on. I'll check it again tomorrow.

In the meantime does anyone have any tips for helping a turkey with splayed leg. She is almost 3 months old and it only started a few days ago. It seems like it is her hip. I think the only thing that might help is if I put her in a sling but any suggestions would be appreciated

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a difference a day makes. The last 2 days have been to windy to stand up and today it's a beautiful day great day to get some work done.
20191030_150721.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can wrap her with vet wrap? It sounds like she injured herself. How do you put a turkey in a sling? I have a funny mental picture of a very unhappy turkey swinging in a sling. LOL I hope she gets better.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe you can wrap her with vet wrap? It sounds like she injured herself. How do you put a turkey in a sling? I have a funny mental picture of a very unhappy turkey swinging in a sling. LOL I hope she gets better.
I have the same mental picture lol. I already tried the vet wrap but she manages to get out of it.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So the goats new house is just about finished. Just have to inclose the eaves and make a door and it will be weather tight. Then just have to do some wiring for lights and make a few stalls. I have to get the fencing done before they can move in so I'm thinking of moving the turkeys in there until then as they are outgrowing there current incloser and will be slaughtered in a few weeks. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks like a lot of turkeys! Are you stocking the freezer?