Pj homestead

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
awesome video.

i love it when people take time to try things and study nature to try to work with it instead of destroying it, but i also admit that i have certain issues here which are frustrating and i'm working on. i'll cover those in a separate thread somewhere eventually... a lot to talk about! :)

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So how tough was that (cement floor)? I need to do the same for my chicken coop to start fighting back on rodent problem. I have a hired man on an hourly basis but hoping it’s not tricky work.
I did the floor by myself. I framed out the area after leveling the ground. I picked out large rocks around the size of a football and smaller from the area I had grubed and lined the floor with them then covered it all with crushed stone. I mixed all the cement in a wheelbarrow took me the best part of the day mixing and spreading. The area I did was 8x14 feet and i poured it 4 inches thick. Looking back i should have rented a cement mixer would have been faster and easier on my back but good exercise lol. I would have liked to put in a wire mesh but couldn't scrounge one up.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
there are methods for getting them to not block culverts but i can't find the video on youtube. some guy was doing research on this kind of thing and it was interesting to see what he was doing. unfortunately i can't describe it - it was years ago now, but if you search you may find something useful there.

ok, after looking more here is one vid with some techniques that may work...

Thanks. I might have to try this. I have cleared the culvert 3 times so far and they keep blocking it. Wildlife has put live traps out hopefully they can catch them and relocate them. I have scrounged some chain link fence I am thinking about placing some across the culvert once I clear it again. It wont stop them but make it easier for me to clear it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've seen several posts about your little sheep that you think may still be struggling with parasites. If the vet just gave you one dose of Safeguard wormer and didn't recommend a follow-up then you are probably correct. I'm posting something that you might want to look over. The article is more directly about goats - but goats and sheep they are very similar in the parasites that harm them and in the medication/dosing that they need.

I would definitely take a fecal sample in to be tested again. Safeguard wormer DOES work in some areas - not in others.

Some supportive therapy in the form of probiotics and Red Cell wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've seen several posts about your little sheep that you think may still be struggling with parasites. If the vet just gave you one dose of Safeguard wormer and didn't recommend a follow-up then you are probably correct. I'm posting something that you might want to look over. The article is more directly about goats - but goats and sheep they are very similar in the parasites that harm them and in the medication/dosing that they need.

I would definitely take a fecal sample in to be tested again. Safeguard wormer DOES work in some areas - not in others.

Some supportive therapy in the form of probiotics and Red Cell wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Thanks. The vet said to work him again in December but I'm wondering if it should be done sooner

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When he got Safeguard was it just one dose? Generally Safeguard is given three days in a row and repeated 10 days later. There are other wormers that may work better for him. Safeguard is generally a good wormer - it's gotten a bad reputation because a lot of times it's not used correctly. However, I won't argue that in some areas the parasites have become resistant. Again, usually because it's been used incorrectly. You might consider trying an Ivermectin product. Most livestock/feed stores carry Ivermectin paste that's made for horses. It's easy to use and generally effective. You could give him a dose, repeat in 10 days and again in 10 more days and again 10 days after that. That is a total of 4 wormings in 30 days. That protocol has worked very well for me when I've had really bad parasite years. It does sound like overkill - but repeated dosing gets the newly hatched parasites. Again, it is a very safe wormer and many people have used it successfully. Young animals are much more prone to problems from parasites than older animals. Older animals can build up a tolerance as they age.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. I might have to try this. I have cleared the culvert 3 times so far and they keep blocking it. Wildlife has put live traps out hopefully they can catch them and relocate them. I have scrounged some chain link fence I am thinking about placing some across the culvert once I clear it again. It wont stop them but make it easier for me to clear it.

look for other videos too, i'm sure there are some others well worth watching that i recall seeing before, i just can't find them at the moment... keep looking/studying. :) maybe also try a more general google search (not youtube) so you may pick up some sites that are more general or broader in the topic or can point you to places to keep reading/learning. :)