Pj homestead

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our thoughts: For sure, we will build a stand for it. I'm trying to think about designing an extension on the lever that would be hinged or have an arc to it so that you could push that down, with the end of the extension engaging the button. I think the ergonomics of this thing are just about as horrid as they can be. When the unit is on the ground, as you bend over to engage the lever and button, that places your face directly over the log as it travels down the trough. How stupid is that? Then, there's the whole bending over part. And I get that... even with a large gas powered splitter, there's the bend over/stress the back factor. Not as much of an issue for me, since I'm vertically challenged. But, I couldn't even use it for half an hour without paying for it severely with joint pain.

Given that hubby has had 2 back surgeries, and now has a shoulder that severely limits him, and that I've had shoulder surgery, neither one of us are able to split wood with axe or maul now. Even in my best younger years, trying to split with axe or maul would have resulted in loss of toes! Coordination is not my strong suit. So, we'll continue to work with this splitter to figure out how best to manage it.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our thoughts: For sure, we will build a stand for it. I'm trying to think about designing an extension on the lever that would be hinged or have an arc to it so that you could push that down, with the end of the extension engaging the button. I think the ergonomics of this thing are just about as horrid as they can be. When the unit is on the ground, as you bend over to engage the lever and button, that places your face directly over the log as it travels down the trough. How stupid is that? Then, there's the whole bending over part. And I get that... even with a large gas powered splitter, there's the bend over/stress the back factor. Not as much of an issue for me, since I'm vertically challenged. But, I couldn't even use it for half an hour without paying for it severely with joint pain.

Given that hubby has had 2 back surgeries, and now has a shoulder that severely limits him, and that I've had shoulder surgery, neither one of us are able to split wood with axe or maul now. Even in my best younger years, trying to split with axe or maul would have resulted in loss of toes! Coordination is not my strong suit. So, we'll continue to work with this splitter to figure out how best to manage it.
Yes the ergonomics are horrible. My other brother has his on a shorter stand and sits in a chair when he uses it.

I also find the ram doesn't go up far enough. I have a junk of wood that I use when splitting shorter junks I attach it to the ram with a bungee so I dont have to keep moving it back. I also like to have a table or the wheelbarrow next to the splitter so I have somewhere to lay the wood as I'm splitting in stead of having to keep bending down to get wood off the ground.
I also bought the 4 way splitter attachment it works good but i find with green wood it tends to jam up. I also find the 2 side cutters sit to low. I usually put something under it to raise it up a bit. I'm thinking about drilling a whole in the top plate and threading it so I can put a bolt in it to adjust the hight. This is the one I have

Another tip if your junk of wood is not cut straight across and if the angled end is towards the ram make sure the pointer end is facing down not up because if its facing up the junk of wood has a tendency to pop up and if u are leaning over it it could be dangerous. Also don't let anyone stand behind the splitting wedge when splitting hard wood as they can pop really easy and the junks will fly past the wedge like they were shot out of a gun.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think the 4 way attachment is available for our splitter. Looks like your model is a bit more rugged, and better design than ours.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been begging for 4 years. Can't even get them dumped here when they are trimming ON MY ROAD! And, I have easy access.

Had a landscaper offer to dump them at $20/cu.yd. Crazy.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Should be a fun day
Screenshot_20191210-081431_Weather Network.jpg

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not everything but working on it. Have to put away some leftover siding then take another look around to make sure there's nothing else around that I missed.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just discovered that one of the roof panels in the greenhouse was damaged in the high winds we had the other day. I will put a peice of plywood over it for now as I will have to go to town for a new panel