Plain Dress

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love fashion....I said when heavier I geared toward more loose uglier clothes cause I didn't want attention. When I lost the weight, I went back to wearing sexier, nicer, and more fitted clothes. (Maybe that is how we chatted about that lol)

thinner for me means I am comfortable in my skin and will wear absolutely more daring clothes. I like people to look a little. But I keep it tasteful but like the comments of someone saying, wow, nice outfit.
Looks good on you! :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have to confess I spend many weekends in long denim skirts and muck boots... modest, yes. Pretty? It's in the eye of the beholder?? :gig

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Weight is not a barrier to good taste. I have seen many plus sized ladies who dress attractively, and just as many who dress hoochie. Same with smaller women. You could be right in saying that cost is a factor though. And the fact that where I live there aren't a lot of choices for ladies. In town there is wal-mart or Fred's. If you want something other than that, and you can't sew, you have to go sixty miles to get it! Even if you can sew, you still have to go sixty miles to get the material!

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Weight is not a barrier to good taste. I have seen many plus sized ladies who dress attractively, and just as many who dress hoochie. Same with smaller women. You could be right in saying that cost is a factor though. And the fact that where I live there aren't a lot of choices for ladies. In town there is wal-mart or Fred's. If you want something other than that, and you can't sew, you have to go sixty miles to get it! Even if you can sew, you still have to go sixty miles to get the material!

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kimlove2 said:
that's an easy fix. Shop online.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I said this before a few times....nothign like the internet..LOL you can find, purchase and return anything in the world :lol:

I bought alot of things out of catalogs. Most things fit, but when they didn't, back they went. In fact I kinda got out of shopping catalogs for some reason...hmm...time to check a few of my old standbys and see what they have to offer :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I avoided this thread for awhile because *modest* dressing smacks of certain religious sects to me, and I wasn't interested in that. But now I have read it, and see what is mostly being referred to is what I would call *dressing appropriately*. I usually wear jeans, because I find them comfortable. But I wouldn't wear them to someone's house for dinner (lunch maybe; depends on which *someone* it is, I guess :p). I don't much like skirts, but there are circumstances when a skirt is the appropriate thing to wear, and so I do. *Appropriate*, to me, is also being aware of how clothes look on you, and avoiding pieces that really don't suit your type; having a certain *fashion sense*, if you will. Many people that I see about town seem to have never learned that skill. (I was looking through a catalogue just today, and saw a cute sundress; I was able to save a lot of money because, although I quite liked the look of it, I don't wear sleeveless dresses/shirts anymore. I don't like the look of the aging me showing quite that much flabby arm :lol:; it wouldn't be *appropriate*. Hmmm, maybe with a light shirt over it? Darn, where did I put that catalogue? :D)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
That's what I like too, about this thread. It hasn't dissolved into badness LOL.

Everyone's differing opinions and somehow most of us end up in skirts and sundresses or jeans LOL!!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
:D I had no idea where this thread would end up.
Thank you all for peaceably discussing.
At the least, I had hoped to discuss with others that have worn plain dress, their experiences.
Certainly I never had a goal of judging those that dress different.
We are all in different places :)

Baby's bio parents are coming over in a bit, and the guys are going to butcher a goat, while I make tacos for dinner.
I will relate my experience tonight, or sometime tomorrow.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
An excerpt from a book I am currently reading, The Life You,ve Always Wanted, Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People by John Ortberg.

We know that as Christians we are called out to "come out and be separate," that our faith and spiritual commitment should make us different somehow. But if we are not marked by greater and greater amounts of love and joy, we will inevitably look for substitute ways of distinguishing ourselves from those who are not Christians. This deep pattern is almost inescapable for religious people: If we do not become changed from the inside-out-- if we don't morph--we will be tempted to find external methods to satisfy our need to feel that we're different from those outside the faith. If we cannot be transformed, we will settle for being informed or conformed.

I just thought it interesting to read that in lieu of this discussion. I don't dress plain, nor do I ever want to. I do dress somewhat modestly, although probably not by alot of your standards. For me, being called to 'come out and be separate' , to me, is purely how I act, and not how I dress. Now, dressing provocatively or sleazy, is defintely not my style. I do believe that what you wear says alot about who you are.