Planning for Bird Flu/Swine Flu

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I see daily the denial that people go through that this or any health issue could happen to them. And then when it does happen they come a running to the hospital, the clinic, fearful, anxious and not knowing any answers. It leaves them in a very vulnerable position and forced to make decisions on the spur of the moment and at the whims and judgments of others which are not always so hot.
:thumbsup

Scared people do really dumb things. The more knowledge you have going in to a situation, the better off you are.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
You can't expect the FDA or our government to be too keen on herbal remedies since their pockets are lined with the money from pharmaceutical companies but if the new law in NM (which protects those practicing herbal or naturalist medicines) is any indication the people of America are starting to come around.
Hey Farmerlor.

Can you tell me a little bit about this law? Has it passed?
Do you know its name? Looking for clues on how to do a search on it.

Idaho has a great law to protect natural health practitioners. Keeps those pocket picken doctors and lawyers in their place.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In fact, I am speculating if this thing turns into a pandemic, I would be better off getting it now and "maybe" gaining some immunity if/when another and more deadly wave strikes or if the virus mutates into something more virulent. Keep in mind, that is just a theory...
I made the above comment in an earlier post, just thinking out loud. Apparently, there are others that have had similar thoughts as well. Although purposely exposing other people (especially children) to the H1N1 virus seems reckless and irresponsible in my opinion, I might consider something like this "just" for myself. Instead of being vigilant about protecting oneself, the opposite would apply. Last I checked, we have 29 confirmed cases in my state. Is this a crazy idea?

Debating the Wisdom of Swine Flu Parties

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's not such a crazy idea, considering the strain is still weak...apperently during the 1918 flu, the weaker strain that was the beginning of it immunized those who caught it before the bigger and more dangerous strain came out. I have kind of been thinking the same thing...one thing I do know for sure, it that I am ordering some heritage seeds to plant for next year because IF this thing gets bigger than life food is going to be in short supply with everyone staying home and trying to protect themselves from it.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We now have 27 cases in Utah. None have had to go to the hospital.

I would consider attending a swine flu party if I didn't work with chronically ill people.

But yes, if this is gonna rip through the population you might as well get it and be done with it.
Infections that you can resolve yourself without drugs will boost your natural defenses.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The one plus to the Swine Flu "panic" is that I have realized that I'm not prepared for any sort of disaster. No water, or instant food, or extra vitamins. I'd better get on it. Living here in the 'burbs is kinda awful. Back at the house I grew up in, we could deal with lots. Wood burning stove, small garden, chickens, well water. Now if the power goes out, I have nadda. When we had our snow storm this year (yes, in Washington State!) we had over a foot of snow. I had to get rides to work for a week, and give my grocery list to a friend for her to pick up. I hate that feeling.

So water, freeze dried food, vitamins... Am I forgetting anything? Oh, and Washington state has 83 confirmed cases, but only one is in the county I live in. I work with the public, so although I'm fairly healthy, I do know that I'm not invincible. Especially coming into contact with so many people each day! Again, not panic, just a realization that I'm woefully unprepared for anything, even a wind storm or earthquake. (If anyone's going to get it, I bet it will be me, Miss Healthy "I Never Get Sick" Diva, LOL)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW. 3,400 cases out of 6,700,000 people.

Better get ready!:lol:

If we increase by 1000 cases a day it may take 6,000 days to find me!

:fl

I picked up some Oscillococcinum at the health food store today. Its a homeopathic remedy. Think I will try that.

I will take one vial and put it in a one ounce dropper bottle with spring or distilled water 3/4 way filled
and fill the rest with brandy or everclear...this will keep it clean for a very very long time.

If you don't want to make a liquid dosing bottle all you really need is one small granule from the vial. One of homeopathy's dirty little secrets is that only one granule is needed for treatment, but hey, they are just trying to
make a living and keep their pharmacy going... but all homeopaths know the truth.

Now, with this liquid bottle I have enough to dose many people. Just a couple of drops under the tongue will do it.

Oscillococcinum is known to reduce the symptoms of H1N1 flu. You can take it early to prevent a serious
case or you can take it when you actually get the flu, but best reports are in the actual treatment of the disease rather than prevention, in which case you would take it 3 times a day at least,
more if need be.

http://www.hollywoodsurvivalkit.com/index.php/br/an

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know it sounds so minute...and they are seemingly so worried about this one...it really is hard to make sense of it all. Some say it is to divert peoples attention away from the bigger things that are going on right now, others say it is a small spark that will ignite into a huge fire as soon as it has smouldered enough to get started....who really knows:>)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Just two comments: the normal trajectory of a disease (new or otherwise) is to get LESS virulent with time, not more. Obviously the rare "bad" mutation can happen any time, and create a much more severe strain, but that would be just plain bad luck and I know of no reason to expect it likelier to occur with this swine flu than with any of the other three bizillion diseases circulating around the human race. So it is not like there is any particular reason to *predict* that a more severe version would arise -- and that is the opposite of how diseases normally change as they go thru a population.

Also, I do not think you can place any intelligent interpretation WHATSOEVER on reported # of cases. It has far, far more to do with how many people are being *tested* than anything else. Which is capricious, random, changeable, dependant on all sorts of complicated factors in different countries and jurisdictions.

I could predict, based on the progression of the water level in my backyard today, that by tomorrow noon the chimney will be underwater... but I do not think that would be an especially dependable prediction :p

JMHO,

Pat