Planning for Bird Flu/Swine Flu

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not that this really changes anything, but it appears the WHO might actually declare a full pandemic after all. About a month ago, I read similar articles where WHO was on the verge of announcing a full blown pandemic, then nothing happened. So I am guessing some people in high places were putting pressure on the WHO. Apparently, many people were concerned that declaring a full pandemic would cause a panic; as a result, that might hurt many already struggling economies around the world. At this point, I am thinking most people are too complacent to panic. Unless they witness folks on the streets dropping like flies, business will be as usual.

WHO getting close to declaring H1N1 pandemic

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"So I am guessing some people in high places were putting pressure on the WHO"

I think the next question was did these higher powers want to cause or not cause the Pandemic chaos.

If that makes sense.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:

I think the next question was did these higher powers want to cause or not cause the Pandemic chaos.

If that makes sense.
Your guess is as good as mine on that one, but I did get the impression awhile back that WHO was all prepared to officially declare a pandemic, and it almost seemed as if they were silenced or something. According to the WHO's definition of a pandemic, it appears that we are technically already there. Some people are calling for WHO to also add "degrees of severity" to the phase levels as well, not just geographical location. If they do if fact want to really cause a panic, perhaps that would be the way to go about it in my opinion. The last thing I need; some organization telling me when it is officially time to panic.

:gig

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
TanksHill said:

If that makes sense.
Your guess is as good as mine on that one, but I did get the impression awhile back that WHO was all prepared to officially declare a pandemic, and it almost seemed as if they were silenced or something. According to the WHO's definition of a pandemic, it appears that we are technically already there. Some people are calling for WHO to also add "degrees of severity" to the phase levels as well, not just geographical location. If they do if fact want to really cause a panic, perhaps that would be the way to go about it in my opinion. The last thing I need; some organization telling me when it is officially time to panic.

:gig
I agree with the idea that technically I we are already at Pandemic level....the trouble is that there was such a media overload at the onset of this and it never lived up to the hype, so people got bored with H1N1. I think it is something to be concerned about, but that is just me :)

I think the CDC are concerned about how this fall will shake out....it could get ugly as in years past, or it could be mild. I guess we won't know till we cross that bridge but I do agree that the officials in charge have backed wayyyyy off on this one, perhaps prematurely. Then again as Pat says maybe it is nothing!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've been keeping up to date on this as well, and I am surprised they haven't already declared a pandemic by thier definition. And yes, it did get really quiet for a time, and quite suddenly didn't it. The only way to get info now is on WHO's page, or healthmap.

From what I am reading, the natives here in Canada are really getting hit with it. What is it about this virus and red skins?? Mexicans, Canadian Natives...and the Unuit.

I'm not really worried about it yet, but am keeping my eye on it. Fall can bring some surprises, but perhaps not. It is definitely something to keep yourself aware of.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have over 1,000 cases of swine flu in Victoria, I would rather get it now while it's mild, and it is mild compared to the regular flu that makes you feel nearly dead. I know of 2 people personally that have had it recently and they were barely sick.

I think the media's done a good job of over rating the whole thing.
Having said that I will be annoyed if I do get it as for the first time I did have the flu vaccination, while I realise it doesn't cover me for swine flu I'd rather not get any flu this year!

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I strongly suggest that people fully prep their pantries for at least three months worth of food...if the flu does become as bad as expected in the fall, you may be staying home much longer than you anticipate to avoid becoming infected.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well the more I look at this thing, the more I am thinking that we better all prepare for the worst, seriously. Like Cybercat says, stock up your pantry, make sure you get some breathe easy teas on hand...they work wonders...and hope for the best. I think this could be the big one guys...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Morel and Cyber...I am right there with you on this one.

It will be interesting to see what H1N1 does down under where Lovechooks is...I read that it has mutated but they can not yet confirm whether it will become more deadly or not.

We are such an 'instant' society, we want it now, we want answer now we want to know what the outcome will be, yesterday. I think this is why H1N1 was pushed out of the media...it is taking too long for people to consider it a real threat.
I hate seeing it compared to the traditional flu...makes me crazy.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have the swine flu here. Lots of folks testing positive and I think my husband had it (but he didn't get tested) and he still has a lingering cough for which he is going to take MMS tonight. Lingering cough seems to be fairly common.

We did lots of vitamin c..to bowel tolerance and oscillococinum, which knocked the worst of it out in about 36 hours.

I know someone else who did the same. She knocked it out better than my husband and faster and she has no lingering cough while he does, but he's a smoker so that may have something to do with it.

Anyway. he gets a dose of MMS tonight and in the am and we shall see what we shall see.