Planning for Bird Flu/Swine Flu

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Vitamin C is pretty amazing.
this site will tell you what researchers have found. There's a ton of info here.

www.vitamincfoundation.org

The biggest thing to understand about vitamin c to understand is about the amount you need to take to effect a cure in an acute disease. Most people just don't get it. You really have to take a lot.

You can look at a chart on this page.
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm

and here:
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/nonrate.htm

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Mackay--thanks for a great list on herbal treatments!! I've been drinking oregano oil tea all week to ward off the flu that has run through my sister's family and that I started feeling symptoms of... Seems to be working (or something else is) :)

When I first saw this title, I thought, 'Huh?' But, I can now appreciate some of the ways a person could prepare for a health disaster.

In general, we try to eat REALLY well. In fact, food is our first line of defense when we think we might be coming down with something. The only times in my life I have been really sick is when I was not eating well or exposed to tons of toxins (when we first built our home). I think I might also get an extra bottle or 2 of some of the essential oils. Any knowledge of their storage life?

Regarding bird flu specifically, could our birds be carriers without showing symptoms? We also work to keep our birds really healthy--as much good food as we can provide them, which is easier when the summer gardens are producing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The biggest thing to understand about vitamin c to understand is about the amount you need to take to effect a cure in an acute disease.
One other thing to remember about vitamin C is that it competes with glucose in the body for the same pathways. The more carbohydrates and sugars you eat, the more vitamin C you need.

"The vitamin C molecule is similar in configuration to glucose and other sugars in the body....glucose and vitamin C compete...like strangers trying to flag down the same taxicab simultaneously. Because glucose is greatly favored in the contest, the uptake of vitamin C by cells is "globally inhibited" when blood sugar levels are elevated." - Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes (page 325).

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I just take vitamin C on an empty stomach, and I avoid taking it after I eat something sweet. Actually, if I feel sick I avoid sweets, caffeine, and pretty much anything fun. :p It seems to work for me.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh, as long as we are talking about vitamins, has anyone else heard rumors that the gov't is proposing to ban vitamins and herbal supplements?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The FDA has been grumbling about labeling requirements for herbs for a long time. Is this new?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Look up Codex Alimentarius. It is a bit of a fringe topic and I haven't kept up on it, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Just seeing if anyone has heard about it recently.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Oh, as long as we are talking about vitamins, has anyone else heard rumors that the gov't is proposing to ban vitamins and herbal supplements?
You can't expect the FDA or our government to be too keen on herbal remedies since their pockets are lined with the money from pharmaceutical companies but if the new law in NM (which protects those practicing herbal or naturalist medicines) is any indication the people of America are starting to come around.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thought I would bring this thread up considering that the swine flu is looking like a possibility that is really happening. Just how bad it will get is unclear at this point.

Time to stock up on vitamin C and this thread will tell you how to use it correctly for serious disease.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1929