Plants--easy money for some!

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Great idea about the sapling trees! We have a bunch of peach trees growing from where we dumped peelings a few years ago. Wonder how much I can get for 2 year old peach trees?? :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd give you $15 each for them, if I had the conditions for peaches. :p I like knowing that the plants I put in my garden are local, so I know they will survive here. You might get more, depending on where you are and how big they are.

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The peach trees are about 12 inches tall. I am in the upstate of South Carolina and these more than likely came from peaches from THE PEACH TREE, between York and Clover, since that is where I get all my peaches. They have such an awesome variety that it's hard telling which kind these are!
My husband wants to dig them up and transplant in an orchard, but not sure how/when to do that. They are currently growing on a side of a hill near the house, where I had dumped the peelings/pits a couple of years back..

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Speaking of plants...I have a BUNCH of prickley pear plants (yellow blooms) that I would love to sell...How much do you think I could get for those? I currently have them advertised on cl for $10 a 5 gallon bucket...
Is that fair or reasonable?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started tomatoes, peppers, herbs and a few other veggies and melons in my basement to sell. I'm very good at growing things so this is easy, easy money.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Farmerlor--I'd love to hear about your planting method. I've used eggshells, but this year has not gone so well. I just ordered one of those soil blockers and have really high hopes for very healthy plants for my mid-summer and fall plantings.

Hope to sell heirloom tomato plants at market this year. Unfortunately, a lot of the seeds I got in a seed swap are not coming up :(

Flowering baskets go very well at our spring market, mums at the fall market.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
If it is illegal to pick mistletoe in Ca, the folks I know don't know that. We pick it out of our trees all the time and sell it.
Maybe it's like california poppy, you cannot pick it at a roadside or public park or such, but if it grows on your property you can do what you want. I have to pull it out all the time, it grows like a weed. No government agency is going to tell me, that I cannot pull out or pick the ca poppy or mistletoe infesting my place.
I like the california poppy and let it grow in many places, but I don't want it everywhere!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Farmerlor--I'd love to hear about your planting method. I've used eggshells, but this year has not gone so well. I just ordered one of those soil blockers and have really high hopes for very healthy plants for my mid-summer and fall plantings.

Hope to sell heirloom tomato plants at market this year. Unfortunately, a lot of the seeds I got in a seed swap are not coming up :(

Flowering baskets go very well at our spring market, mums at the fall market.
Oohh, sorry about the seeds not germinating. That's a bummer but sometimes they just aren't collected or stored properly when people seed save themselves. I had some pepper seeds that I got from our seed bank that didn't grow-not one and that tells me that whoever gathered them did something with them to kill them but how you manage to kill pepper seeds I do not know.
I have a little grow room in the basement that Greg built me. We have a heater in there to keep the temp about 80 and lights set on timers. I prepare the soil by putting regular potting soil in the bottom of the container and I use coir in the upper layer. So the seed germinates in a neutral environment but when the roots get long enough they find some nourishment in the bottom. I don't use plastic covers just keep the humidity in the room pretty high and the temp warm.

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that you can sell plants on Craigs List and eBay...actually, a lot of folks sell plant cuttings on eBay...sometimes not even rooted.

Leanne :cool:

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cybercat said:
Just wanted to mention that you can sell plants on Craigs List and eBay...actually, a lot of folks sell plant cuttings on eBay...sometimes not even rooted.

Leanne :cool:
That's the only advertising I do for my tomato plants. I've also sold or given houseplant cuttings that way. Several years ago my son gave me one of those little Lucky Bamboo plants that is now about 6 foot tall so I keep taking cuttings off of it and selling it. Now's the time of year when I generally repot all the house plants so I'll have a whole lot of babies to root and get out of here.