Plants--easy money for some!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I grew up in Texas about 20 miles from the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory. We sold two to three trash cans full of pecans from our orchard (is that what you call a gathering of nut bearing trees...not sure...someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Blue Bell would take about 5-6 pecans per can crack em open so they could see the % of good per bad and pay you according to how your pecans' average measured up.

I don't know if they buy from locals anymore. Pecan trees can sure produce lots of pecans! We had about 4-5 trees on our property and that was our job as kids during the fall harvests...pickin' pecans! I was not kidding about filling large garbage cans full either!! My father never wasted anything so it was unthinkable to not gather these things up. Our relatives from Wisconsin all got a big box for Christmas. (We got cheese in return!) :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way...

I never saw anyone shoot down mistle toe, what a funny sight!!

However, I've seen and heard about fellow Texans shoot just about everything else!!

We were originally from Wisconsin and I think we were the only people in my little town that didn't own guns!

We were vegetraians too, boy did we stick out!!!:lol:

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Regarding living in Texas...

big brown horse said:
We were originally from Wisconsin and I think we were the only people in my little town that didn't own guns!

I have a good friend who was raised in Texas...she's a Catholic Cajun who ran away from home, became an artist, also vegetarian and is currently Buddhist...something tells me she didn't quite fit in either! :lol:

Welcome to the board, Big Brown Horse!

Leanne

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Oh, and by the way...

However, I've seen and heard about fellow Texans shoot just about everything else!!

Boy, do I hear you :) I LOVE WI, but in some areas a person could stand out like a sore thumb. I live in a rural area but only about 45 min from Madison, so that's where I can get my fix :) Welcome, by the way, to SS!

Wish I could swap cheese for pecans!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
big brown horse said:
Oh, and by the way...

Boy, do I hear you :) I LOVE WI, but in some areas a person could stand out like a sore thumb. I live in a rural area but only about 45 min from Madison, so that's where I can get my fix :) Welcome, by the way, to SS!

Wish I could swap cheese for pecans!
Look me up in the fall, I still have connections!

Thanks for such a warm welcome y'all!!

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
OK, I want to see some pictures posted with all you mistletoe hunters standing next to your hanging mistletoe, with gun in one hand, and a proud look on your faces! Caption to read: This year's mistletoe...what a beauty!
Oh so quietly, as the sun came up, coffee steaming from mugs, the clever hunters stalked their prey up the rugged oak. huh huh huh.. be vewy vewy quiet.. I'm hunting missletoe.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We used to shoot mistletoe when I was a kid....one of the first times I ever shot a pistol :lol: I think i was like....8 or something.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no it is not mean...charge good for good product...and make money in these hard times! go for it!