Plants--easy money for some!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Neko-chan. I am not sure what the price for starter plants in your area, but this year in the US the plants are puny and pathetic AND expensive. If you can offer quality plants at a reasonable price, it wont be mean, you will be doing the public a big favor.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have been making quite a bit of extra cash by offering some of my extra bulbs on a you dig it basis on Craigslist lately. Pretty easy money if you ask me. :D :p

feather and mountain man

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have offered potted bulbs for sale with our veggie plants and eggs at the farmers market for years. I am one who loves to paint and I buy plastic terra cotta colored pots and paint them and offer them for sale and some are already planted with bulbs like miniature irises and other many bulb plants.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a lady in a town just south of me who has a gazillion types of daylillies that she sells on a "you dig them" basis (she'll also mail them if you know what types you'd like) who I think does a fair amount of business every year on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist).

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know a gal that sells iris every July 4th weekend. They have tons of raised beds with pictures of each variety staked in the bed. When you want some, they dig out a start, put it in a little paper sack and staple a copy of the pic and variety name on it.

There's also a retired attorney that has peony fields. Must have been a hobby of his from a long time ago. But he sells the starts from them too. I bet it's gorgeous when they're blooming.

A friend of mine drove 40 miles to get to a pick your own asparagus farm. They sold it by the pound.

Too bad I couldn't sell dandelions and bindweed. So far that's the only stuff that seems to thrive out here. Oh, and thistle, too. :/

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Too bad I couldn't sell dandelions and bindweed. So far that's the only stuff that seems to thrive out here. Oh, and thistle, too. :/
How about drying the thistle to sell the seeds for birders? We gather it to feed our wild birds because I can't afford to buy the gourmet seeds in the store.

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Oh yeah, I had a long and involved dream last night that included bunching and selling fresh herbs. :p
Great idea. I dearly love using fresh; and also love using the food dryer to dry for my cupboard. I see in the store how expensive sprigs of this and that are. I am thinking about pots of different herbs in the few bare spots I have left to put something to preserve.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
"Too bad I couldn't sell dandelions and bindweed."

Thanks that jogged my memory

Another thing that I just remembered doing is to make wreaths for sale from my grapevine (I have even used wild clematis vines as well) prunings.

Often you can just sell the wreaths plain. Lots of people like to decorate them themselves.

In addition fruit tree prunings can be sized down so as to make good smoker or barbeque chips. I see these advertised on our Craigslist from time to time.

Not quite selling weeds ... but still making use (and money) from a normal waste item. ;)