Please don't think I'm a nutso!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any one living in the neighborhood where I grew up saw UFO's frequently: My brother and his friends spent HOURS manufacturing UFO's to "alarm the masses" Radio control planes, hot air balloons, recordings of odd sounds that they would play at night. Then, there was the time they spent laying a wallet in the middle of the road, attached to a fishing line. They'd hide in the ditch, and reel it in when someone stopped to pick it up.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies. Actually one of the oldest breeds we have today. I've been telling people they are aliens for the last few years. They just don't act like the other breeds. They can have vaulted skulls and the brain is exposed sometimes.

Skull_06_Crop_HR.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! We had a silkie, a friend wanted us to hatch some eggs for him and then ended up dumping the chicks on us. One was a silkie roo. He was insane, and kept starting fights with my MUCH bigger Dominique roo. That poor guy got throttled daily until we butchered him. I couldn't eat the black meat either, freaked me out. They are weird birds.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies. Actually one of the oldest breeds we have today. I've been telling people they are aliens for the last few years. They just don't act like the other breeds. They can have vaulted skulls and the brain is exposed sometimes.

View attachment 9485

Exposed brain? And the live like that?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! We had a silkie, a friend wanted us to hatch some eggs for him and then ended up dumping the chicks on us. One was a silkie roo. He was insane, and kept starting fights with my MUCH bigger Dominique roo. That poor guy got throttled daily until we butchered him. I couldn't eat the black meat either, freaked me out. They are weird birds.

So they have black skin?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Several years ago I was about to purchase a devil chicken split/fork comb. I don't even recall the breed now but my wife talked me out of it. I found the picture on my cell phone though. I wanted it for nothing less than a novelty.
700.jpeg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes. Black skin, meat, bones.

Swedish Black Hens and Ayam Cemani are both even darker black.

Yes the brain can be unprotected. This is one of the reason that silkies shouldn't be kept with other breeds. Easily injured if pecked in the head. I had an ameraucana hen blind a silkie rooster with a good head peck.

There are a few breeds with a V comb. Polish are fairly easy to get ahold of. They can't see very well so are one of the few breeds that do well with silkies. Of course the reason silkies started having such huge crests was from crossing polish in back in the middle of the 20th century.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@JanetMarie
No ETs around here yet. Just this strange lil fellow that came with the house. I think he french but can't be for sure, he's a heck of a gardener though so I'm cool with him being around. I keep tell him to put some clothes on before he freezes his wieners off.
View attachment 9478

He also has a strange way of getting around.
View attachment 9479

View attachment 9480

View attachment 9481
Weird little guy. Yeah, he needs clothes to stay on Earth unless he joins a nudist colony.