Plowing with pigs....and worm farming?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Its just not the best meat to be had for health reasons and my family never really got into it, to be honest. Actually, the only meat we eat here, if any, is deer meat, sometimes a little chicken from my culled flock, and maybe a little tuna in salads.

My folks went vegan about 15 years ago for health reasons and we kind of drifted towards that lifestyle. It has paid off in spades for their health and, even the adaptations we have done, has benefitted ours as well.

Pork has just never been part of our diets and has always been considered a bad health choice.

A little info I learned in high school was the final deciding factor for me, really. I know parasitic worms can be found in any mammal, but the description of a particular parasite left me ill. You know all the chewy, almost gristley parts in a ham or bacon that you sometimes spit out and sometimes just swallow with the rest of your bite? Those are places where a worm has encysted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinella_spiralis

A smoked ham or cured ham is not heated to temps found in regular cooking, is then sliced and served in your deli! Now, I'm not ordinarily a germ freak or a phobic eater in any way...I invented the 3 second rule! :D BUT...with all the strikes against pork meat...high salt content for hams and bacon(not to mention the chemicals involved in the curing process), the encysted worms, the high fat content, etc. ...well, it just doesn't seem worth it to me to intentionally ingest it. Not when there are other, cheaper meats(deer), available to me if I should hanker for meat. Actually, one can live a perfectly healthy life without ingesting meat or dairy at all, so its just not important to me to include this meat variety in my life....

YOU guys eat all the worms and leave me out of it!!! :D :lol: :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good gravy

I knew the minute I typed out that question I did not want to see your answer!

I mean that....LOL...and I sure did not hit that link...No way I can read that ever again.....I want to keep eating my pork.

When will I ever, ever, ever learn......

OK Miss Too Much Information. ;)

But yea if you head toward the vegan lifestyle then when you do eat meat it would be picking the leaner and less evil choices but even with its downfalls, pork sure is for me.

OK now to forget this conversation...yikes.... :th

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
OH, FC! YOu should hear my mama on the whole worm thingy!!! I could give you loads of info on human worm infestation...you know, the thing that everyone denies that they could ever, ever have? Then you really would never read anything again as long as you live! :lol: :lol:

I will tell you, though, that is so much more common than anyone ever imagines...I could tell you horror stories from a nursing standpoint that would curl your little pork-pie tail!!! :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, the different symptoms shown in someone with a parasitic infestation are so similar to most of the diseases that most everyone is being treated for nowadays, that one has to wonder if a heck of a lot of folks are being seriously misdiagnosed with anything from high blood pressure to cancer. Anyway, I digress.....

Didn't mean to scare ya, there, FC! :hide :D :frow

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Then you really would never read anything again as long as you live!

**********Never Read anything ever again---heck it is more like Never EAT anything again....LOL

oh yea on the parasites. I know they are everywhere and since you know about these things......is there a natural way to do a parasite cleanse? Some type of "anything" easy to eradicate some of this.

I saw a parasite cleanse at the health food store in a box with a bunch of natural pills and wondered if it would work........AND

no conversations with me and your mom.....I couldn't handle it..HA HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The healthy, natural cleanses seem to take a long time and are really involved, it seems. I have taken pyrantel pamoate before, just to see if it yielded any interesting results, but couldn't bring myself to repeat the dose as recommended on the box (of horse wormer!)...its a mind thingy, but it made me gag..even doused in honey!

I am currently researching an old fashioned cure for livestock that Joel Salatin uses called Basic H. Apparently composed of two different kinds of plant enzymes, he uses it in his water when he de-worms his animals. Says it even cures liver flukes when the vet was unable to do so. Very minute amounts per water, I think 1 tsp. per gallon or somewhat. When I find out the particulars I'll let you know! :)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
THere was a thread on this over on BYC a while ago and some names tossed around were
Hilda Clarke and Humaworm were a couple and you can google them and see what the ingredients are.
I have been a vegetarian 15 years and will still cook meat for my family, except for pork, I never ever buy pork.
I know all about the worms and the other bad stuff about it.
Everyone probably has parasites to some degree, its unavoidable but a bad infestation can cause major problems.
I have heard of it causing behavioral problems in kids, skin problems and alot of other stuff.
Alot of herbs are used for that, black walnut tincture is usually in all of them and pumpkin seeds worm animals so probably wouldn't hurt for people to give them a try.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
but couldn't bring myself to repeat the dose as recommended on the box (of horse wormer!)...its a mind thingy, but it made me gag..even doused in honey!

*********OK now I heard it all. You did this?! WOW
I just would be scared...I know, I know, I have wormed my horses a million times, but me...LOL

oh I am sure there are great wormers out there that are natural, I mean how else would animals be able to survive in the wild...before we penned them up. I definitely let the goats eat pine trees, good natural de-wormer to keep their systems operating healthy. Back to nature we really can find answers.

Yea keep me informed what you find out. Always need these kinds of info!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hilda Clarke
Humaworm (don't like the name but..HA HA)
black walnut tincture

I will be searching all of these....thanks Simple...good to know! Yea I know every person alive has them to some degree, I just never put "general health" things iwth this type of problem.

Dare I learn more? HA HA...sometimes I don't want to investigate too much or I would never eat again or want to live in this world..HA HA

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Farmer if you can't handle this thread you should see the one on shadow ridge donkeys website, they sell de there and recommend the food grade for people to use as dewormer and some lady kept a journal of her deworming process IN DETAIL, I wanted to stop reading but its like watching a car accident, I had to see what the heck that was all about.
Really gross, but the people on there with their testimonials swear by it.
Even scarier is the picture of the tapeworm close up, it looks like it has big feins and sharp teeth.
See now I wish I hadn't thought of this, I won't be able to get it out of my head......yuck.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh simple

you are killing

now I almost want to see the car wreck.....now I know the website and it is killing me not to search it.....but I don't know, I think that is best for me not to see.

I am truly interested. When she kept her info in DETAIL about de-worming herself.....what was it like? What happened to her? Anything? now I am curious~