PMS HELP- GIRLS ONLY

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Maca root HAS helped a little, but I haven't been on it that long so it may help more as time goes on. Unfortunately clean diet has NOT helped my hormonal derangement.

I will report back after my next cycle and let you know if the maca continues to improve things. One measurable improvement was the amount of pain killers I had to take on the first day (usually the most horrible day of a period). Instead of about 16 advil, I was able to get by with 8 over the course of 24 hours.
2x shots of vodka didn't help. :gig

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I feel like that actress in singing in the rain. I love you, I hate you, I love you, I hate you.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I would def. recommend the Maca root for starters.
I realize that low carb is often sighted as being best for many, but, it generally cannot help endocrine issues. It will in fact over time, depress the system even more :(
So be very cautious if you head that route.

Look at whether or not you are getting sufficient amounts of B vitamins, Calcium (from raw milk is best) and magnesium intake, and cut out all sources of caffeine.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I think it depends on how you do it, with the low carb.

I don't think we have the foods in this culture that can truly sustain a EXTREMELY low carb diet, like the inuits ate in the studies of long term high fat, low carb.

I think a lowered carb (under 200 grams a day), with lots of good fats and whole foods, and very few of those carbs being straight sugars... is sustainable long term and keeps the body healthy.

My biggest difficulty is getting enough potassium and magnesium :rolleyes:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
abifae said:
I think it depends on how you do it, with the low carb.

I don't think we have the foods in this culture that can truly sustain a EXTREMELY low carb diet, like the inuits ate in the studies of long term high fat, low carb.

I think a lowered carb (under 200 grams a day), with lots of good fats and whole foods, and very few of those carbs being straight sugars... is sustainable long term and keeps the body healthy.

My biggest difficulty is getting enough potassium and magnesium :rolleyes:
That's not low carb Abi! :lol:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
LOL. When most people eat 500-700, it is ;)

I eat 20-150 depending on hormones. Most of that is raw milk LOL

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Low carb is a subjective term. 200g/day IS low compared to the Standard American Diet. :D Some people do fine at 100 or even 150g/carbs. For me, 50g or less is my range. Anything higher than that and I start having blood pressure issues and get fat again :p

I did try a mostly carnivorous diet, but I was having such wicked fat cravings the whole time. The cuts available at the store and the feed those animals are raised on totally skews the fat profile. A diet of corn and soy makes them higher in omega 6's and lower in omega 3's.

Here are some examples...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXDPIhwybd4
http://www.gustrength.com/nutrition:grass-fed-versus-grain-fed-beef-fatty-acid-content

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Tell the hubby to just leave a big bar of good chocolate on the porch and back away slowly. :tongue He should know better than to push his luck then.
Seriously . . .
what kinds of foods do you crave? We know salt is one, but any others? chocolate, fatty foods, sweets, dairy, or ? Some cravings can help show what the body needs.
Have your adrenals ever been checked? The salt cravings can be a sign that they need help.
How much stress is usually in your life?
Are you sleeping well?
What have you tried so far, and did it help any?

Just trying to help narrow down what you might need to get checked.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have wicked PMDD :) I'm surprised no one or nothing has died yet, I do have guns in the house, and bullets in the bathroom cupboards :gig

I don't know about you, but my first day is horrible...heavy, heavy bleeding (I feel like I am peeing myself), bad cramps and well...my intestines...yuou know. BC never helped, in fact the only thing that helps is staying in bed and watching movies :D

I want/need to try maca.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MsPony said:
I have wicked PMDD :) I'm surprised no one or nothing has died yet, I do have guns in the house, and bullets in the bathroom cupboards :gig

I don't know about you, but my first day is horrible...heavy, heavy bleeding (I feel like I am peeing myself), bad cramps and well...my intestines...yuou know. BC never helped, in fact the only thing that helps is staying in bed and watching movies :D

I want/need to try maca.
Get your iron levels checked too ;)

Latest posts