Polyface Farm Tour~Salatin~My experience (pics on page 3).

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good one Blackbird. Very astute from one not of advanced age (I did not say you were young!)

Bee, I'm so sorry your were disappointed. Sometimes our heros just don't live up to their hype.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
He was moderately attractive and his son was a hottie...that part was at least okay! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you need to send your post to him

let him read your experience and disapponitments maybe that "might" open his eyes a bit (or maybe not) but at least you had your say

no one is ever as good as they project themselves most times LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I spoke to him briefly before I left...he didn't strike me as the kind of guy who would give a flying fling what impression I got of his farm~ or my tour experience. :rolleyes:

I did tell him about our little forum and that I would be reporting back to you folks about my experience...he didn't seem to care about that subject either.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, I guess the green eyed monster got a hold of him hu? (money) So sad to find that someone you look up too, from his writeings...is not what he portrays.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Its not so much that I looked up to him(I can honestly say there are few men that I do look UP to :gig )....I just credited him with more common sense than that, which is something that I DO admire.

Here is Joel, wearing his nifty cowboy hard hat:

6459_my_broilers_and_joel_salatin_005.jpg

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
When you get too big for you britches it shows. And unfortunately money IS always a factor.

Thanks for the review.

Disappointed by an adult again. :/

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'm sorry your expectations were not lived up to, Bee, that's a long way to drive for that. Glad you did get SOME good out of it though!

He's a farmer, though. The point of farming, as a livelihood, as a business, as a commercial enterprise, is generally to make money. All of the things you describe are pretty much what I would *expect* of someone whose approach to life seems in general to be "avid businessman". Paying someone to weedwhack, buying gravel for the convenience of the public, wasting hay (it may only take ten bales to do a rainy hayride *once*, but multiplied by the number of rainy days it can add up fast), or giving animals extra room to be happy if it does not increase their productivity... <shrug>

(Are you sure the layers were *really* scrawny btw or were they just one of the light-framed sexlinks like red stars (which is what they'd most likely be), some of them are just built that way and bred for metabolism that converts food into *eggs* rather than meat.)

The only thing that DOES slightly surprise me is that there was a blanket assurance that it'd be a haywagon tour and he ended up unapologetically making people walk. Surprises me only because it isn't great public relations. It does sound, however, as if he went over well enough with *most* of his audience that he may correctly figure "who cares, it doesn't matter, I'll do what I feel like"... as in most other things ;)

Bottom line, there is a real big difference between "farming" for yourself, and farming as a business venture. Particularly if one is an ambitious person... ambition can lead in two very opposite directions depending on which of those roads you're on.

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I did tell him about our little forum and that I would be reporting back to you folks about my experience...he didn't seem to care about that subject either.
Exactly the same impression I met with when I met him at the Farmer's Field Day last year. I, too, tried to tell him about this forum and how his methods have made for several discussions - he didn't care.

Latest posts