Polyface Farm Tour~Salatin~My experience (pics on page 3).

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting report. I've never read one of his books, though I've thought before that I should.

So he let you walk through a chicken coop? Not very good bio-security. I hope you didn't wear those shoes into your own coop. :/

I do agree that just a little general maintenance could go a long way on public relations and overall farm health.

And, it don't hurt a tractor to get rained on. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THAT was funny! :gig I should have...or I should have piped up and said, "You're kidding, right?"

Becca, he explained his ideas on biosecurity by stating his birds have a good immune system and he doesn't have to worry about that.

Basically, I feel the same way about my own birds and I don't care if folks walk in my coop, as my entire back yard IS my coop....but then, my birds are in optimal health and I can't say that I got that impression about his flock. I didn't see any obviously ill birds, but what feathers they had were dull and they just didn't have that bright look of healthy, glad to be a chicken bird that I see in my yard and in everyone else's pics. The chicken in the nest box was an example of the average bird I saw in that one building. The RIR out on pasture were a little better but still not good to look upon.

Their movements were quick and frenetic or just standing...not that slow strut/stroll and quick eye that my birds have..you know, that one that is usually accompanied by a low purr when they are looking for bugs and such.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
My tractor is now refusing to work until it gets something to protect it from the rain.

Those chickens look kind of crowded. Were they really that crowded or were they bunched up to get away from the people?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It IS a little different to have our guests walk through the chicken coop than it is to have probably hundreds of people from all over the country to walk through your chicken coop. He should practice SOME sort of bio security. By not doing so it just makes his otherwise good message less credible.

I totally agree about the need to weed eat (or goat eat) the tall weeds, pour a bit of gravel and spend a little coin to cater to the public. Doing those things is simple farm maintenance in my opinion.

He SAYS he has a message to give that could change how the country produces its food. He preaches that message loud and long. Yet by failing to have consideration for those he is trying to teach, I am SURE he is losing valuable converts. If he really believes that his methods can change the world he needs to do everything he can to convert the most people to his way of thinking.

By professing to be a Christian he opens himself even more to criticisms if he is not 150% what he says he is. There are always people ready to point out a hypocrite. I also wonder if even he realizes what a ministry potential he has. In his position of fame he could convert many people to more than grass fed livestock if he only gave it a try.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Hi Sis,
:caf I was looking for you here last night, I was too early.:idunno It took me a while er... to figure out who you were talking about , I have seen Food Inc! so now I get it. The guy who lays down in the hog paddock right,:sick yucky. I don't care how dry it is, thats gross IMHO.

If your are looking for something better, I can tell you all about it, I hope. In the meantime here is the best advice I know of, as it comes from God's word.

Psalms 146:"Do not put your trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs."

Jeramiah 10:23" I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking to direct his step."

When Adam and Eve rebeled And brought sin into the world they rejected God's gift of stewardship. :hit Gen.2:16,17, it was before they had any children, so we (their decendants) have inherited all the implications of being removed from the original perfect garden planted by God himself, Rom. 5:12,14,, A & E rejected God's gift because the serpent(satan) convinced Eve that they could do it better on their own.

About 4000 yrs. later enter Jesus, God's Son Luke 4:5-8 he passed the same test that A&E failed, and went on to provide the ransom needed, that no other could provide, his life for ours.

... about 2000 more years which is now, great changes are about to happen on the earth. I'm sure dear sis you are very much aware. Look at Rev:11:18. Matt. 5:5, Ps.37:9,11,29.
This has become a bit of a sermon but,:idunno you know when the holy spirit comes I don't resist it's bad for the health to resist. LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee I think your review is well written and very informative. I value your opinion based on your experience and knowledge of his practices.

I also know that you have applied some of his methods at your own place and found great success.

So, I will probably read his book but keep in mind the info you have provided.

thanks,

gina

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Great ideas can come from total jerks. One of our local politicians has saved our local economy in many many ways yet most people can't stand to be in the same room with the guy for more than 5 minutes.

:D

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, I agree with you and your expectations. If you put yourself in the public eye & open your farm to public inspections, you should also provide decent public accesses. And if you advertise hay rides rain or shine, then provide hay rides rain or shine.
Not to mention, I'd expect for him to raise all his animals with open pasture access & not kept enclosed with few if any exceptions. I would think he'd make darn sure all his animals were in top healthy condition, even if only for 'showing off' purposes & keep any not so good ones in a "rehab" area or something. I would also expect that the public to see into those houses, but not to enter. He doesn't know where anyone's been before they got to his place.
That is really disappointing to hear & I'm sure was very disappointing for you to see. :hugs

Aren't tractors MADE to get wet? I'm pretty sure farmers have used their tractors in the rain for many a years. BTW, I'm in the rainy PNW & any farmers around here don't have much choice if they want any work done. :lol: