Pork Steak recipes please. (Bacon photo on page 2)

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey - that meat looks awesome!!! Our pig is going to the butcher this Sunday, he was suppose to go last Sunday but something came up for the butcher and had to postpone it a week. I am really going to miss him, I know that his purpose was meat but he is a great guy.

I "weighed" him with the measuring tape and he is suppose to be right at 300 lbs. I am hoping that the meat is really good because raising him was easy and I would love to do another one. We raised him by himself and had no problems.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It is official, he tastes good!* :lol: Your meat should be perfect too. :)

Our pig grew on us too. He had a good life and almost became our pet until he just looked uncomfortable on his feet.

*(Baked potato soup with bacon.)

Tomorrow a thick ham steak is going in the crock pot. (Busy day.)

OFG, 78 lbs??? Next to fried chicken, ham is my most favoritist food! I wish I had asked them to make smaller hams so we could manage them better. Guess one day soon I'll defrost one and cut into smaller hams.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I am really going to miss him
oh honey you wont miss him - just open the freezer door and you can see him anytime you want! ha! i love them pigs best when they are tucked in nice and quiet.
;-)

BBH - are the hams frozen yet? if not pull them out and cut them up NOW. then wrap really well and freeze them. we are getting ours back tomorrow....3 of the 4 or whole. we'll cut them up into 1 inch thick steaks. easy peasy - fry 'em up in a pan. whoot!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
oh honey you wont miss him - just open the freezer door and you can see him anytime you want! ha! i love them pigs best when they are tucked in nice and quiet. ;-)

BBH - are the hams frozen yet? if not pull them out and cut them up NOW. then wrap really well and freeze them. we are getting ours back tomorrow....3 of the 4 or whole. we'll cut them up into 1 inch thick steaks. easy peasy - fry 'em up in a pan. whoot!
-just wet my pants!!! Too funny!!

Well ol' farmer george sent them home frozen. :/

eta: laughed so hard I had a typo!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was muttering, "Take that, pig!" to my barbecued ribs tonight as I was snarfing them down. DEEEE-licious!

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I'm curious about your pork steaks when you get a chance to try them. Our slaughterhouse will cut the hind (ham section) into slices and labels those as "pork steaks". (Just an option, you can have it left whole or other cuts as well.)

The cut we get from the shoulder (described on wiki) is labeled "blade chops".

ohiofarmgirl said:
oh honey you wont miss him - just open the freezer door and you can see him anytime you want! ha! i love them pigs best when they are tucked in nice and quiet. ;-)
The cure for that is to just get another one. I really anjoy our pigs. They keep me laughing. I always think when it's time to butcher that I'll miss their antics. But no....we just get more feeder pigs and it's on with the fun....

These are off to processing in 11 days - actually 4 of them, but only 3 in the pic.

snow122510pigs1.jpg

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well, what I thought was a big thick pork steak turned out to be 3 packaged together, bone in. After I defrosted them to put in the crock pot, I found out there were three. I just tossed them into the crock pot anyway and used OFG's recipe of a big glug of salsa, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper--all just dumped on the top.

Eight hours later on low, I drained off most of the liquid (set it aside for the chickens) and "pulled" that pork apart with two forks. It made the most yummy Mexican style pulled pork I've ever eaten. We made tacos out of corn tortillas, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, cheese and sour cream (for us, kefir). There was enough for 6 individual meals or 12 nice sized, well stuffed-with-pork tacos.

To answer your question, I got back, from the butcher, two HUGE hams (each of which was cut into two smaller huge hams) and two hocks, so I don't think it was cut from the butt end of the hog...yet they still called it "pork steak". I'm thinking, by the shape of the bone and the taste of the meat, that it was from the shoulders.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting how the terms pork steak, blade chops...and I've seen 'blade steaks'... are used interchangeably for different cuts. No wonder market customers have to ask us! LOL

You might like this cut our butcher does for your next hams. It's called "netted ham". It's cut from the hind quarter ham section. The cut is deboned, then netted with butcher's twine. We get them back fresh (uncured), then brine and smoke our own for cured ham. Some processors will also cure them for you. They're also nice to use as just a top of the line pork roast.

What I like about them is we can specify them to be cut at 3 - 4 lbs each. That's a nice size for us and customers. ANd we end up with several from a hind quarter instead of just huge hams.

Pork_NettedHam.jpg

Here's a picture of a finished one that DH recently did for the holidays - brined, then smoked and sliced:

ham122710.jpg