Potato chip cravings.. Alternatives?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have been meaning to try the raw kohlrabi...I've heard you mention it before....gotta go find some.

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
My wife will take Pita bread and slice it like a pizza. She then splits it in half and spreads them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with Majic Dust and bake them until crispy.
Cheap, easy and low in sodium for us old f a r t s with bad hearts. Also good for dipping into salsa.
I am going to make some right now, they are delish!!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
My wife will take Pita bread and slice it like a pizza. She then splits it in half and spreads them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with Majic Dust and bake them until crispy.
Cheap, easy and low in sodium for us old f a r t s with bad hearts. Also good for dipping into salsa.
How about tortilla's baked?

A friend I used to work with would deep fry them (cut like a pizza) and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on them and serve with ice-cream... :drool

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
I have been meaning to try the raw kohlrabi...I've heard you mention it before....gotta go find some.
Peel it with a paring knife first. Slice and add a sprinkle of sea salt and YUM!! I ate it as a child and loved it, now my daughter eats it without a problem. Sometimes it is hard to find thats all...or I would have it in the house all the time!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
inchworm said:
I guess it depends on why you don't want to eat chips?
Well, not trying to cut them out completely. Just trying to be better about my diet and my wallet. Chips are expensive when you consider how much are actually in the bag. LOL

It's just we've started eating more sandwiches because we're in class all day Tuesday and Thursday, so we take sandwiches to eat for lunch. And if I have a sandwich and no chips, I feel unsatisfied until I've had something remotely chip like. LOL

I'll have to give some of these alternative a go.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Seasoned croutons? I used to eat them like chips when I was young. A good thing to made with left over bread.

I suppose carrots too but it just doesn't seem to cut it for me.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Baby carrots work for me, it is amazing how the crunch craving is appeased by them. I especially used to like them at work. Now I cut up our homegrown carrots and keep them in the fridge.
I also like pickles. In that case I even get the salt craving taken care of.
Another one I like is popcorn with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese and butter of course. Especially since we have been growing our own pop corn.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
SKR8PN said:
How about tortilla's baked?

A friend I used to work with would deep fry them (cut like a pizza) and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on them and serve with ice-cream... :drool
We tried the tortilla's, but didn't care for them as much as the Pita bread.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am a sucker for carrots and dip. I make a yocheese dip.

Drain your plain yogurt, add onion & garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, chopped veggies & herbs. I like red bell, green onion & red onion and what ever fresh herbs I have on hand.

It hits the spot for when you are craving something kind of fatty/salty-ish.
The bonus is that it is good for you :)