Predator control for native wildlife

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i often ponder what all these animals think of stuff we humans do and if it means anything to them differently than anything else they come across in their lives?
Here, the starlings immediately take flight when I open the door. Robins, Northern Flickers and Downy Woodpeckers ignore it and continue with whatever they are doing.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We used to have starlings here. The red winged blackbirds got aggressive with them after I put feeders out to keep birds out of the chicken pens. They fly off but not that far. The little finches, siskins, and warblers just stay out of the way and watch for me to put out food or clean up after the chickens when I put out scratch.

The ravens fly off when I open the door because of the dogs. They do fly circles over me and call out if they see me and are hungry as they know I'll put out a few eggs for them.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just when saying out loud. Say, I had to scare off some ________ insert annoying critter here.
We have annoying birds here that kill the pecan trees. I can't shoot them so scaring them off is all I can do, I also worry about them switching from tree sap to honey and destroying a hive.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Feral non native animals are a problem anywhere. The local native animal population isn’t created for intruders.

Fire ants from South America have decimated the native Bob White quail here. They are ground nesters and ants eat the newly hatched babies.

That’s just one example of the impact imported species can have.

Feral hogs are another problem. Open season, no limit, kill all you can!
The fire ants sound brutal, what a horrible way to go. Our wild pigs here can be a real problem in some areas, they are hunted pretty hard with dogs so are usually controlled well on public land.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Knew a guy that liked to hunt wild pigs with 2 dogs and a knife. One day, he didn't come home. They eventually found part of one of the dogs and a piece of his shirt...
Do they know what ate him ? I have hunted pigs for a few years with dogs and a knife, had some close calls with pigs charging but the dogs always got in there, I used to have a lab x pitbull that was good at walking by my side and smacking pigs that were close.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I’ve seen coyote tracks right up against the fence here. Dogs go barking crazy. If a coyote ever jumps in , the fight will be on.

Feral cats can be a problem. I call them coyote snacks. I’ve seen two here. They must be wise because they haven’t been eaten yet.

that's about the same here, any feral kitties that last longer than a few days are the smart ones. some of the semi-feral kitties may even be the neighbor's but i don't see collars on any of them. they wander through every few days looking for chipmunks, mice and whatever else they can catch. i don't shoot at them because they don't seem to be getting many birds (the hawks/eagles seem to get those).

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I’ve seen coyote tracks right up against the fence here. Dogs go barking crazy. If a coyote ever jumps in , the fight will be on.

Feral cats can be a problem. I call them coyote snacks. I’ve seen two here. They must be wise because they haven’t been eaten yet.

Coyote snacks 😄 😄 😄😄

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The sign in my yard says "If you can read this you are in range". I'm not worried about David knocking me out.;)

the problem with that is it only applies to people who can read who aren't coming from the other directions... all the critters just think it's a wind block, a place to perch or scratch or some other obstacle or grouping of particles.

i often ponder what all these animals think of stuff we humans do and if it means anything to them differently than anything else they come across in their lives? i mean by that do we by all the strange stuff we do ever also actually elevate (we already know we devolute (not sure that's a word but hey it's morning)) some critter's awareness?

ok, time for breakfast and a shower. will give me something to ponder...