Predator control for native wildlife

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have totalled 5 feral cats in the last two weeks, sons of bitches. I have noticed a decline in California Quail in the last month, but after trapping the last cat I heard a male Quail calling which was nice to hear. The frogs are going crazy at the moment as well which I love to hear as well.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have totalled 5 feral cats in the last two weeks, sons of bitches. I have noticed a decline in California Quail in the last month, but after trapping the last cat I heard a male Quail calling which was nice to hear. The frogs are going crazy at the moment as well which I love to hear as well.
Good work on trapping the feral cats. I’m guessing they are the main predators?

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good work on trapping the feral cats. I’m guessing they are the main predators?
Cats, Stoats, Ferrets and Possums are the four main predators for killing our native wildlife. I have a particular hate for Feral cats because they will kill for fun. Many or our native birds and reptiles are critically endangered.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Feral non native animals are a problem anywhere. The local native animal population isn’t created for intruders.

Fire ants from South America have decimated the native Bob White quail here. They are ground nesters and ants eat the newly hatched babies.

That’s just one example of the impact imported species can have.

Feral hogs are another problem. Open season, no limit, kill all you can!

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Feral non native animals are a problem anywhere. The local native animal population isn’t created for intruders.

Fire ants from South America have decimated the native Bob White quail here. They are ground nesters and ants eat the newly hatched babies.

That’s just one example of the impact imported species can have.

Feral hogs are another problem. Open season, no limit, kill all you can!
The fire ants sound brutal, what a horrible way to go. Our wild pigs here can be a real problem in some areas, they are hunted pretty hard with dogs so are usually controlled well on public land.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Knew a guy that liked to hunt wild pigs with 2 dogs and a knife. One day, he didn't come home. They eventually found part of one of the dogs and a piece of his shirt...
Do they know what ate him ? I have hunted pigs for a few years with dogs and a knife, had some close calls with pigs charging but the dogs always got in there, I used to have a lab x pitbull that was good at walking by my side and smacking pigs that were close.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would suspect that a big sow or boar got to the dog and turned on the man. Had an old farmer here that got down in his hog pen with some sows he'd had for several years, litters of pigs and all... don't know if a sow turned on him, he fell down, passed out or what but he was torn apart by the time someone saw/found him....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would suspect that a big sow or boar got to the dog and turned on the man. Had an old farmer here that got down in his hog pen with some sows he'd had for several years, litters of pigs and all... don't know if a sow turned on him, he fell down, passed out or what but he was torn apart by the time someone saw/found him....
And THAT’S why I designed my Pig Palace at my previous farm with the ability to feed and water the feeder pigs we raised for the freezer, without having to go in the pen.