Predator control for native wildlife

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here, the starlings immediately take flight when I open the door. Robins, Northern Flickers and Downy Woodpeckers ignore it and continue with whatever they are doing.

the grackles and i "converse" when i go outside and i try to discourage them from making nests and messes.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just when saying out loud. Say, I had to scare off some ________ insert annoying critter here.
We have annoying birds here that kill the pecan trees. I can't shoot them so scaring them off is all I can do, I also worry about them switching from tree sap to honey and destroying a hive.
What the heck kind of birds kill pecan trees?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have totalled 5 feral cats in the last two weeks, sons of bitches. I have noticed a decline in California Quail in the last month, but after trapping the last cat I heard a male Quail calling which was nice to hear. The frogs are going crazy at the moment as well which I love to hear as well.
Good work on trapping the feral cats. I’m guessing they are the main predators?

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good work on trapping the feral cats. I’m guessing they are the main predators?
Cats, Stoats, Ferrets and Possums are the four main predators for killing our native wildlife. I have a particular hate for Feral cats because they will kill for fun. Many or our native birds and reptiles are critically endangered.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have heard that Coyotes can be really sneaky and nasty. Bit of a worry when they get so bold that are attacking kids or peoples small lap dogs as well.
I've heard 3 different packs howling and cackling at once here. I live in the county so sound travels far. I've had to scatter them multiple times because they get to close to the buildings. I never see them, because it's pitch dark, but I sure can hear them howling and cackling. A single shot from shot gun fired at the ground is all it takes to scatter them.

Note to self.. apparently they expose their whereabouts for sirens, probably hurts their ears.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coyotes are out tonight. They are howling, not real close, but closer than I like.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a bit of twisted humor going on here… reminds me of the two neighbors that were arguing over the right to have guns. It became bitter and angry. The neighbor who had guns posted a sign in his yard stating that he had guns and shot robbers and thieves. BUT his neighbor didn’t have or believe in guns!

that sign would be like begging to be taken out with a sling shot...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just when saying out loud. Say, I had to scare off some ________ insert annoying critter here.
We have annoying birds here that kill the pecan trees. I can't shoot them so scaring them off is all I can do, I also worry about them switching from tree sap to honey and destroying a hive.

yes, i try to discourage and scare off many critters here. sometimes they don't listen. :(