Presidential Debate--who watched?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea ScottyG I am sure it is totally an individual basis on how people can handle when they get slapped financially!

Everyone has their limits (well, most of us LOL)--makes perfect sense

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I think some of these issues are difficult to discuss on a forum because of their complexity, or maybe I just like to make them difficult.

RE the financial crisis, I think it's multipronged. I don't think homeowners are completely without blame. We built our home at the beginning of this (housing bubble) about 5 years ago. We could have built MUCH more house than we chose to. Our bank would have loaned us money that would have given us a mortgage so tight that NOTHING could go wrong if we were to make the bills. That's not the way we like to live and so we went much smaller. I don't think homeowners are completely without blame and need to have some responsibility in managing money and loans. I mean, if you choose an ARM, you have to think that sometime down the line the interest could go way up.

On the other hand, Congress could have given more oversight, banks and other lenders could have refrained from developing this environment where the risk keeps getting shoved down the line, until it imploded. CEOs could have been decent and refused extravagant pay packages and benefits. Remember Lee Iacocca working for nothing that first year at (was it Ford?) his company in order to show his commitment to making the company stronger and making sacrifices along with his employees?

Same with healthcare. We are responsible for caring for ourselves and using healthcare judiciously. Doctors need to be moral and not beholden to drug companies. Insurance companies should not be going for the big buck and denying health insurance to those who need it most. Congress is supposed to look out for the little guy and prevent fraud.

Do you think some our debates get so heated because some of us are focused on one point of the huge picture while another person's life experiences focuses him/her on another? Just thinking out loud here...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good post me&thegals

so true cause each of us have specific personal experiences and we view sometimes from that when commenting.

also when typing, again the usual comment, we can only get so much across of what we are trying to convey.....so???

I think that is why we are sure tolerant on this forum, cause we are all smart enough to know that there is more sides to everything....we are sure well rounded people! :) (mostly for me! LOL)

And you are so right.....many homeowners are to blame for their own plight. Ads etc. may make you WANT things we see, the American dream is more and bigger, but NO ONE makes them take on debt. Just themselves. So personal responsibility is a biggie definitely!

I am the same. I have my loan insitututions shoving 100s of thousands of dollars at me to loan. Am I? Heck no! LOL--just cause I have to pay it back..HA HA

So what we choose to finance and how much of a gamble we choose is our real responsibility. More are safe and others are bigger risk takers. Eventually we all have to pony up on our decisions in life.

just rambling...gotta go wash eggs now for market...Ugh. not in the mood, rainy here and want to crawl under a cover and snooze but that ain't happening..LOL

Latest posts