PREVENTATIVE HEALTH....important part of SS?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree 'zilla

unhealthy people make unhealthy decisions which results in unhealthy thinking all over the place.

again, we truly better wise up or there won't be many people left thinking clearly enough to fix these bad situations.

we are becoming a nation of sheep cause it is too much work to fight against these problems, and people are too fat and tired to make a difference!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I also wonder how many people just have no idea how great they could feel!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think that is a big part of it! I think most folks have forgotten how it felt to feel young and supple and full of energy.

I'll tell you another thing that people don't do but could~ to maintain their spinal muscles. STAND UP STRAIGHT! A goodly proportion of people would have very little back pain or strain if they maintained good posture. When the top half of your body sags off the bottom half, you will definitely have some strain and muscle atrophy as a result. Eventually you have some disc compression or herniation from these weakened muscles.

Its simple...maintain a good center of gravity and your muscles can work more smoothly and properly to maintain your spinal alignment and mobility.

Here's a way to know if you are maintaining proper posture. Stand up in a relaxed but alert position with your hands at your side. Take a deep breath and exhale. Look down. If your hands are in the front of your hip bones instead of right beside them, you are slumping!

Pull those shoulders back, stick out that chest and pretend you are balancing a book on your head.....this is the proper posture to ease strain on your spine. I know its hard to do if you have been neglecting it, but it will come easier as you practice it. Same with sitting, get that head up and "balancing that book", shoulders back and relaxed, chest out.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanks! (getting elbows off computer desk, sitting up straight and striving for good posture ;) )

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heard about this on NPR a while ago, but I thought it was very appropriate to our discussion:
http://www.feingold.org/PF/wisconsin1.html

I used to teach in public schools and the food they served those kids was TERRIBLE! All sorts of pre-packaged crap. The last school I taught at didn't used pre-packaged stuff, but it was all pre-made and frozen from the food service. It's no wonder kids can't learn anything when they eat so much junk! Forget all those standardized tests - we need to feed these kid right.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not only is it all processed foods, but now they are skimping on portions. My sis has to send supplemental snacks for her little ones because they are so hungry during school. They are even talking about doing away with the school lunch program altogether as it was started back when children were more unfortunate than they are now days. ????

My boy comes home ravenous, as the food is usually something he can't eat~he's allergic to dairy. The cooks will sometimes feed him something else, sometimes not. They don't even offer the alternative salad bar anymore! My kids used to be able to depend on at least getting a salad for lunch, but that is a thing of the past.

Soooooooo glad I won't have kids in school any longer! :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
why do they have to serve so many options ya know......why not a soup, salad, sandwich bar, fruit bar. that would be so much better, not heavy foods like fried chicken nuggest, pizza and spaghetti etc. Just a good lunch that covers all basis. So simple, they could cut costs, give kids some good options.

Seems simple yet no one seems to fix this lunch program easily...I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to feed decent stuff.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
More work? More planning? Who knows? :p When I look at their menus, at least 2 of the 3-4 items is usually deep fat fried.

I guess this is easier than making a large pot of good vegetable or bean soup. Or cutting up a ton of salad greens. Or even making a simple chicken salad sandwich. Just dump it all in a fryer basket and call it a day! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea back to the convenience of it I guess.

frozen fried foods are simple, dump and fry and take out...and they can be stored long.

salad, fruit is perishable. oh my, heaven forbid we offer good stuff only cause we might have to dispose of some.

but ""convenience thinking"" is what will doom us and already is...for every aspect of our lives is effected and we can see the slide downward.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Like me, for example: I have an electric pump on my well. If the electric is out or the pipes freeze up~like they have for the last 3 days~well, I'm pretty helpless.

My mother and I have discussed this time and again about having a hand pump to get water in these situations. The only problem is, we never think about it until its too late and we are already in "these situations". Pretty soon, folks might find themselves this helpless for water and power more frequently because we have adjusted our lives to convenience! She and I have both decided that the first spring purchase will be a hand pump for our wells. Fortunately there is an extra well on this place, so I won't have to worry about circumventing pipes.

When the power, water, or food is in short supply, the people with another way~ the SS folks of the world~will then have the conveniences....like alternate heat, water and food sources.

BTW, praise God that my water is thawed!!! I just found out!! :celebrate I finally appealed to a higher power this morning and He delivered! I am soooooooo glad He is on my side! ;) :D