PREVENTATIVE HEALTH....important part of SS?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's an interesting post my aunt sent me called Water or Coke?

Water or Coke?

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
(Likely applies to half the world population.)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak
that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.

#4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs
for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of
Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of
water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain
for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on
the computer screen or on a ! printed page.

#8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of
colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast
cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop
bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water
you should drink every day?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries
two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from
the highway after a car accident.

#2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke
and it will be gone in two days. (THIS one I would have to see to believe, but it sounds pretty icky!)

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the
toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour,
then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes
stains from vitreous china.

#4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers:
Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds
Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour
a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble
away the corrosion.

#6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola
to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into
the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.
Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the
drippings to mix
with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

#8... To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke
into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run
through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen
grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your
windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

#1. the active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.
It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric
acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major
contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the
commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place
cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean
engines of the trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water?

or Coke?

Some of these like the nail and the steak sound a little like urban myths, but the rest of them are pretty right on the money about Coke.

I am always amazed at how many people have completely substituted water with pop in their lives. I've heard it all~water tastes bad! I just can't make myself drink it! Coke has water in it, so I'm getting water!

I do know that the caramel coloring used in dark sodas is some pretty bad stuff. They use it in some "wheat" breads as well. It will put a stain on clothing or flooring that cannot be removed~even if you use Coke to do it! :lol:

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was in college, I drank NOTHING but Dr. Pepper & beer. When I started teaching, I always had a bottle of water handy because my mouth got so dry from talking so much. Now I HAVE to have at least 6 glasses of water a day, or I get a migraine. There actually have been times when I've felt one coming on, quickly drank a couple of glasses of water, and got rid of the headache w/no meds at all. I have to admit, I do like a cherry Coke every so often. :hide

Some in my family drink nothing but soda. It's diet now, but I can't imagine that all of that aspartame is good for a person! At a family party last summer, one was so surprised because she drank a whole bottle of water! :rolleyes: It's really scary what people will put into their bodies.... A lot of people have the attitude about both food and medicine: well, if they're allowed to sell it, it's not going to hurt me!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree, Curly! I just read an article about toxicity levels of aspartame and how it mimics MS, ALS and other neurological disorders and also can cause migraines, weight gain~kinda defeats the purpose of diet, huh?, diabetic exacerbation, liver inflammation, fibromyalgia, etc.

Its amazing how many people will substitute other liquids for water and expect to get the same benefits. Like iced tea~my sis used to swill gallons of this a day! I mean, she kept a big jug of it on her desk at all times. She started having some cardiac changes, muscle cramps and spasms, and anxiety attacks. Come to find out she was severely dehydrated and had depleted her electrolytes by drinking so much caffeine~she thought she was doing a good job of drinking plenty because tea "has water in it"!!! :rolleyes:

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
DH's cousin passed out at work one time and they took her to the ER. The ER doc asked what she had for breakfast and she said "Doritos and Pepsi" ER doc replied "The breakfast of champions."
That was her normal diet and she is skinny as a rail!!! :tongue

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No nutritive value whatsoever in pop, other than the sugar...and its complex sugars~so bad for you!! Remember when pop actually tasted good and was made with cane sugar? :drool

This corn syrup stuff is horrible and soooooooo bad for you~and its in everything! I really have to watch labels of frozen fruit juice, as they will slip that in if you aren't careful. I don't buy anything with corn syrup in the ingredients.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I completely believe in taking care of myself. I'm sure it helps a great deal in saving us money and healthcare costs, but mainly I just want to have all the energy I need to get it all done!

So--water, milk and occasional fruit juice for drinking. I used to drink 1 diet soda per day. It was a little difficult to give up, but I did years ago and now there is no soda in our household.

Whole, fresh foods. We get a LOT of our food from our garden, local dairy farm, our own chickens and eggs, hunting, some fishing. I make almost everything from scratch. We aim for lots of fruits and veggies every day.

I try to get our family as much exercise as possible. It's one place I'm willing to spend some money--bikes, balls, jump ropes. If the kids are having fun doing it, they will keep doing it :) I love hiking, biking, snowshoeing, etc. My husband is a little tougher to get motivated but is willing to go hiking to look for deer antler sheds, etc.

Good friends and family. I think it's hard to overestimate how much good it does a person to spend time with good friends and family (and hard to overestimate how much damage toxic relationships can do!)

In our home, we use eucalyptus oil and other oils for colds, honey for an irritated throat, lots of tea for other respiratory stuff. Honestly, knock on wood, we don't really get sick much. Water is the first line of defense for headaches, fatigue, not feeling quite right.

So, lots of good food, water, fresh air, sunlight, exercise and fun with friends and family--it does the job for us!

Plus, I have to add, I think there's something to just toughing things out a bit. I don't mean to indicate that there's no place for going to a doctor--I work in healthcare after all--but it does amaze me how quickly people run to the doctor for a cold, runny nose, sore throat, fever, etc. I mean, the body is so well built to take care of itself!

Great thread, Bee!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
That was her normal diet and she is skinny as a rail!!! :tongue
Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you're healthy. Back in my beer & Dr. Pepper days, I ate garbage all the time, but only weighed about 100 lbs. Also only slept about 5 hours a night. I went to the doctor because I was tired all the time, and she wanted to put me on Prozac because she thought I was depressed. She never even ASKED about my eating or sleeping habits! Luckily, I didn't start down that path! I know that Prozac can work wonders for people who actually are depressed, but the fact that she was so quick to write me a prescription made me really uncomfortable.

The doctor I see now has actually apologized for not prescribing me an antibiotic because it wouldn't do me any good! I thanked him for that. He is really good about recommending supplements and natural remedies, which I appreciate.

It worries me how much doctors are in the pocket of drug companies. I don't want them getting their info from the drug company; I want them to do the research themselves! My dad works for an insurance company, researching new prescription drugs. He's always telling me that the "new, improved" version of a drug is actually not really different than the old version. The drug companies just need to tweak them when their patent runs out so they can continue to charge ridiculous amounts for what they're peddling.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FYI - Coke will dissolve a nail and a steak. I KNOW cause when I read this list years ago I tried it. I now use coke as a meat tenderizer. Wild game soaked in coke for about an hour (for a full cut of meat or 30 minutes for things like stew meat) will help with the gamey taste and tenderness.
I used to be a Cokeaholic. Now a 20oz coke will last me for 5 days. I guess you could say I am still addicted but to only a few swallows a day.
Now - on to water. I can't drink water in large quantities. I have to drink sips of it during the day. It makes me sick. I have major indigestion and heartburn when I drink very much water. So bad that I have been to the ER on 3 different occasions because I thought I was having a heart attack. It took me a long time to figure out it was WATER of all things. I have tried all kinds of bottled water. I have only found one so far that I can drink without super bad chest pain. All the Dr's think I am crazy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I must admit, 2dream, I've never heard of that before! :p But there has to be a reason, as there is for just about everything to do with out bodies.

Curly, you are right on the money about the docs being in the drug companies pockets. I've seen it firsthand and an amazing amount of money is spent on this very cause. Perks, perks, perks!

As for running to the doc for a pill? Again, right on the money! Think about this....colds are viral. Antibiotics do not help with a virus, you must take an antiviral~which are very, very expensive and hard on your liver. A doc will give an antibiotic anyway, as by the the time the atb runs out, the virus has run its course~traditionally 2 wks~ and it seems like the med had a hand in it. Meanwhile they will prescribe meds for the symptoms~which are what you really needed anyway~and it seems like he has done you well. And if anyone thinks their docs don't think this way....one of our docs told this to me himself, while chuckling shamelessly, and taking more perks from the local drug rep! :/

Face it,people...we are a "pill" society. I know people who are on 5 different BP meds!!! High blood pressure is easily controlled through diet and exercise....a pill cannot ever "cure" hypertension, it is only pallative care. Why do people not take responsibility for their own health? Some don't know they can, some don't want to make the effort, and some are unable to exercise and must do what they can do. But the majority of us? We can help ourselves.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
All right, now you've got me going. I'll have to jump out of the way after saying this, though.

I think people are lazy!!!

It takes work to make your own food and either have a physical job or exercise after your sedentary job. It takes effort to walk to the store rather than drive. A LOT of SS things take more work--think about chopping wood, hauling wood, gardening, canning, etc. People don't want to have to be uncomfortable, out of breath, dirty or sweaty. So, go pop pills.