PREVENTATIVE HEALTH....important part of SS?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea back to the convenience of it I guess.

frozen fried foods are simple, dump and fry and take out...and they can be stored long.

salad, fruit is perishable. oh my, heaven forbid we offer good stuff only cause we might have to dispose of some.

but ""convenience thinking"" is what will doom us and already is...for every aspect of our lives is effected and we can see the slide downward.
If we could get the schools to start gardens (a GREAT learning tool!), then any of the perishable stuff that goes bad could be composted!!!

But all of that would take time away from cramming for the state proficiency tests, so of course THAT won't happen! :tongue

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:ya
good deal on the water thawing

YOU PUT UP A SUPPLY---cause cold weather is still here and this could happen again....you be prepared.

I have an automatic waterer for the goats out here. BUT in winter I also have 4 monster troughs filled with water in case we lose electric and no water, I have it.

Plus I have a pool. Great for using that water to flush toilets if needed. Plus I have a few gallons of drinkable water under the sink.

yea when spring and summer comes, who ever worries about the perils of winter..HA HA...we have so many projects to do, putting in a hand pump for winter is probably pushed back alot of times...see you need one..LOL

That is why I got this propane fireplace. Now, still dependent on propane fillups, but it is one more step forward. When and if I build my other house on my other land, yup, woodstove definitely. I want true SS freedom for heat and I will get it I hope!

But you are right, SS people will have more conveniences cause we are always working toward that direction of "what ifs"--sounds good to me! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I want that pump for this summer also, so I can access that extra well to irrigate my crops. Last year I didn't, but this year I would like to pump to a holding tank and do some gravity/drip irrigation using some dog-destroyed garden hoses. Can't let 'em go to waste, can I?

I also am using a length of that hose to create a "dog gate" for my electric fencing. I will have a length of hot wire connecting my garden with my paddocks and I don't want the dogs to lose roaming privileges! ;) :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you need, you can buy insulated wire for that purpose. I did that....would just run it under my gates to the other side to not stop continued shock.

I buried the line. Shallow just to keep it from trouble while driving over it to go thru the gates.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I like the idea of insulated wire because I'm sure the garden hose would be heavy enough to stretch my wire and put stress on the connection. Thanks, FC!! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea any feed store etc. that sells fence chargers and wire and all will have the insulated wire. very common use on the farm. when you get your supplies for the elec. fence just ask for the insulated wire...cause it has the capability of being buried which I love.

they got all kind of wild products for elec. fencing now. great handles to open and close wire gates etc. a regular party feast of stuff to buy....ugh...LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Besides diet and exercise, are there any other things you all do extra about your health that isn't normally prescribed by the medical field?

I like to use raw honey to help control allergies and we use quite a bit of vinegar in our daily salads. My folks use quite a bit of fresh garlic, which I am going to grow this year.

I've been reading lately that they sell liquid garlic for farmers to use as an immunity boost and parasite retardent for their animals. Seems intestinal parasites don't like garlic~just like any vampire! :p

We discussed on another thread about parasite cleansing for optimal health for humans and I think it had some good info that is important for our health.

I plan to make my own vinegar this year, as they say the unpasteurized vinegar has more probiotics in it.

Anyone else have any good tips to share?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Homemade yogurt--nothing added. My family does not like to eat it plain, but we all enjoy it in smoothies for breakfast (plus, a great place to hide pumpkin, flax seed and wheat germ :) )

Lots of garlic. We just love eating it, but I forget what a great healer it is supposed to be.

Honey for sore throats, but I think I already said that one.

I'd love to try making ACV. Another thread was going on this one with a link to a site on how to make your own ACV. Never thought of that before! I think I'll try it out on the chickens first.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am glad you brought up yogurt. The homemade yogurt is easier than some might think. I have the base off an old Hamilton Beach crock pot (with the dial that goes from 1-10) that I use for a heat source. I place that in an old cooler and cover it with a towel and use that as my incubator. It maintains a perfect 110.

As for the yogurt materials, I make yogurt out of any dairy I don't want to go bad or whatever I find on clearance (King Soopers has the best discounted dairy). Whole milk, heavy cream, half and half, low carb milk from Hood, goat's milk, even coconut milk all find their way in to my yogurt batches. The BEST yogurt uses at least 25% cream.

I take a microwave safe casserole dish and add all my liquids, nuke it for 25-30 minutes making sure it gets over 140. Then I allow it to cool to 110. Then you add your culture...either freeze dried or 1 cup of yogurt from the store. (Mountain High or Stoneyfields work well).

Cover the casserole dish and place it in the cooler making sure the heat source doesn't touch the container. In my set up, the slow cooker base is stood up on end against one side and the dish goes near the other side. Cover it with a thick towel and let it cook for about 8-12 hours.