PREVENTATIVE HEALTH....important part of SS?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Amen to that, sister!!!! :clap My folks are the poster children for great physical health....but this was not always so. But now that they are, people are constantly asking them how they do it. That lasts all of five seconds until they find out that they have to give up all the bad stuff they eat and drink and exercise daily. Then a blank look comes into their eyes, they start shaking their heads before the info is even complete and say, "I could NEVER do that!".

Translation= I WILL never do that! :rolleyes:

I think they are waiting for mom to say, "We found this amazing herbal pill that restores youth, decreases joint and bone pain, restores calcium to bone, keeps one incredibly healthy and gives you loads of energy....here's where you can buy it! And its at a drive through window, so you don't even have to get out of the car!!!!"

Everyone wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die! :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of things are like that--You can see the evidence of something in another person's life (physical, spiritual, emotional...), but when you find out what they had to do to get it, well then... The thing is, that person is having a wonderful life living the way they do. For example, I LOVE getting sweaty, filthy, hair full of leaves and body gouged (ok, maybe not that part) by blackberry canes, but my husband's family will not even consider going to pick the acres of wild berries they have growing right behind them. Incredible! But, from the other side, all they can see is the sweat, blood and dirt. They can't hear the birds in the woods, watch the squirrels playing, taste that beautiful sun-ripened berry, hear my kids chattering and playing in the woods...

So, a long way of saying, it's hard to make changes in your life when you can't see how much the benefits will outweigh the changes.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! I think its also just how miserable you really are, whether you are willing to change. Some folks seem to derive a certain pleasure from the attention they get by listing their ailments and how many meds they take. Its almost taken the form of a hobby to them, to see how much more sick they are than other people. Seems to be more prevalent the older they get.

I can't even imagine telling total strangers that much about my health and my body, but some seem to revel in it. I would be ashamed to tell anyone that I had managed my health so poorly.

Don't get me wrong~ some illnesses are just plain inevitable~ this is a fact, whether it is genetics, environmental, unknown etiology, or just plain too late to stop it now types of things~but the usual maladies are preventable, can be reversed in a lot of cases, and are not a death sentence unless someone lets them get out of hand.

My folks worked pretty hard to get where they are(they had numerous illnesses) and they were already health nuts to begin with...according to common medical advice. When they stopped listening to the doctors and used some common sense, they started to get better and better.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How great to have parents like that! I never buy the stuff people say about aging, as if all those ailments and loss of vitality are inevitable. Thankfully, my parents also are in great shape, eat well, don't eat junk, don't take meds and get lots of physical labor and exercise. So, I've got a great blueprint to follow, too. Thanks, mom and dad! Their idea of fun is sledding, playing paintball or football, biking, hiking, swimming, raking leaves, gardening. You get the picture :) Other people their age who are eating crappy and not moving unless they absolutely have to are also popping lots of pills, moaning and groaning and dealing with pain.

I really feel for people who don't feel well, truly I do. But it is also frustrating when that person could take some control of their lives and make changes for the better. I'm not sure what is more disheartening: Watching someone's health suffer due to things completely out of their control or completely in their control.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Exactly! I get very tired of people asking how I stay healthy and then, when you take the time to tell them, act like it wouldn't work for them. My parents have loaned out their books and videos to people and never gotten them back...and the people never even looked at them when they do get returned. They always say that they never got the time or they started to do it and it all seemed too hard, etc.

Frustrating!

Yeah, its kind of fun to watch the folks win a dance contest at the local college! :lol: They start dancing at the beginning of the night and are still dancing every dance at the end, when the college kids are tuckered out! :p Puts me to shame, I will tell you that! ;)

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I TOTALLY agree with 'people these days' being lazy! People say that they 'don't have time' when it's just that they don't want to change their habits. I have a relative who got the stomach reduction surgery several years ago. Her eating habits are STILL TERRIBLE! She's just eating less junk than before. It's scary because her kid is SOOOO picky already. I'm worried about what's going to happen to her as time goes on.

Call me paranoid, but I just firmly believe that certain industries benefit so much from our being lazy and sick that they work very hard to keep us that way. I'm thinking of the commercial food & drug industries....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think people are just plain lazy. I think it is a byproduct of our society. We do not have to do anything for ourselves.
We do not have to cook, we do not have to sew, we do not have to garden, we do not have to chop wood for heat, we do not have to hunt, we do not have to do any maintenance on our homes, we do not have to produce anything at all.....it can all be bought.

All people have to do is go to work and have money to spend. That is the way our society is now and it just goes to show HOW UNHEALTHY it has become.

Obesity is horrendous. Medical problems are horrendous to to our way of living. Financial situations can be devastating even with income from 2 parents----and we pass this to the kids.

We are in big trouble.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes. Lots of money to be made there, unfortunately. People are easily impressed by "science" and popular opinion. Whereas advances in medicine are beneficial in the area of surgery~to a degree~the rest is a tremendous amount of crutching up a lazy society. And profitting from it in the process.

How is it that science and medicine is more advanced than its ever been and people are sicker than ever? More info about nutrition than ever before and we are all obese? More medicines developed than ever before and noone has a cure? When is the last time you heard that any medicine will "cure" anything....its always "will help in the treatment of" in the ads.

This is where a person has to take control of their own health care like they did in the old days. They had less to work with and got more results, so it couldn't be all that bad.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh the original thread,,,,I didn't answer it yet..LOL

YES YES I avoid Drs. like the plague but if I need one, I know when to go. I put it off so long and then must go get help....I want to be Dr. free in my life, but I ain't stupid when I need the services of one.

Tons of water, very little if any sodas. Some juice for Nicole.

Tons of veggies.

I lost weight and am losing more....low carb for me. My eating is meat and veggies and little carbs. Best for me to feel super healthy...any other type of eating makes me lazy, bloated and slow. I know, I have been eating like that and have since cut it out and feel great again..LOL

Tony is eating better.

Nicole eats all the good stuff like we do. A friend of Tony's was amazed that Nicole ate fish, steak, real chicken, rice, broccoli, green beans, taters, carrots, asparagus, and all salad stuffs, etc. at her meals. He said all his kid will eat is chicken nuggets every night. UH, wake up parent...give the kid real meals from the start and you won't have that problem.

But anyway, yes we do what we can to be preventative.

I smoke. Quit once before, have to quit again. And darn it, cause I love smoking seriously.....but I will be quitting in the near future cause I don't want Nicole seeing it.....so yea, I have too.....what day, not sure, but in a reasonable amt. of time. And I know when I quit my energy level will skyrocket....cause last time I quit for 5 years and the difference in energy was enormous. So yes, having to quit for good now.

Other than that I do like you guys...I doctor my own self and my own animals. Do what I can and get medical help when I must.

Tony right now has used up all my Dr. visits for the next 15 years at the rate he is going..HA HA HA

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
While there are lazy people out there, I often wonder how many have been brain damaged by refined starches and grains, sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and a lack of essential fatty acids???