Pumpkins & Mother Nature

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
For pete's sake, no one ever died from lack of pumpkin pie and I speak as a serious afficiando of pumpkin pies.
i dunno... i might stoke out if i dont get me my punkin walnut pie!!!

quick! to the store!! lets clean 'em out while we have a chance!!!

hee hee hee hee

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
but not sure what my MIL is going to serve for Tday if she cant BUY a pie!!!! wish me luck gals - our happy turkey day is going to be a dilly.
Are u my sister in law? LOL , sounds like MY mother in law!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm. I think that I may have used one can of pumpkin in the past five years. I still have a can in the pantry. Maybe I shouldn't mention that can, we may get raided for it! Eep! Next year however, I would love to make a pie or something from a fresh pumpkin.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
well we survived the great costco pumpkin pie fiasco.... i just loaded up that limp and soggy smallest-piece-i-could-get-away-with with some kinda 'whipped cream' from a can and choked it down.

and i smiled and thanked her for the lovely meal.

then we ran right out the door and over to our fun neighbors for real dessert.

i've been teasin the husband... well lets call a spade a spade.. i've been SHAMING the husband about how he needs to cook the pumpkins down himself.... but he resorted to the canned version.

however, he gets props for using the lard i gave him for the crust. and for me it washed the bad costco taste right our or my mouth!

and then i had my own pumpkin pie - with pumpkins we cooked down -- for breakfast so i'm saved.

whew! who knew there could be so much drama about pumpkins!!!

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not everyone has time to make pies from scratch. If someone offers me a store bought pie I accept it graciously in the spirit in which it was intended. The whole idea of the holiday is to spend time with people, not to show off cooking skills. I would really be hurt if someone made fun of me for not baking a pie.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm not making fun of you. i'm making fun of my mother in law who i have a rather unpleasant relationship with. many of my posts refer to this and its part of my good natured teasing of life in general. i'm sorry if you dont like it.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It just seems rather mean spirited to accept someone's invitation to spend the holidays and then blast them because they don't bake. I guess "good natured" means different things to different people.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hikerchick -

you didnt like me on BYC so i doubt if you will like me here. instead of scolding how about if you lighten up and assume its just joshin around.

if not. save yourself the trouble and dont read my posts.

in the meantime, the SisterHood Of The MIL's Who Buy Pies will just have a good laugh about wacky familys, crazy relatives, and people who buy stuff that we choose to make.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In ohiofarmgirl's defense, have you ever had one of those costco pies? :sick

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just didn't realize that people who buy pies were wacky. Sometime they are just busy. If it makes you feel good to look down on people who aren't as down-homey as you, go for it. Have a ball and I will leave you alone.