Punkins' world....SUNSHINE, seeds and no more drought!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Then the debate begins... Grandpa said you have to eat black eyed peas for a lucky New Year - but Grandma Nettie always insisted on sauerkraut! We always had an INTERESTING New Years meal! :p
I've always heard black eyed peas for luck and collards for good fortune. I do the jowls just because we like them so much.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
punkin said:
This is really the first I've heard of kraut on New Year's. My dad makes alot of kraut so we have it all year long. Maybe it's for those who don't like collards. :idunno
Nope - cause we ate collards too! I don't get it either, but since I love BOTH black eyed peas and kraut I always had a happy day!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Hi Punkin
glad you checked in...starting to wonder where you were! :)
Glad you had a great holiday.

just sitting here waiting for warm weather like everyone else...sure you are too..HAHA
Hey, FC! It's getting hard to keep up with your avatar, lol.

I'm sure you had a wonderful Christmas as well. I do miss all the magic and splendor of Chirstmas with a child in the house.

I am soooooo ready for warm weather, or at least 50 days. Maybe I should go up to the greenhouse for a fix - it's about 80 in there. ;)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Brrrrr! The New Year is starting out cold but sunny. For the next few nights, it's going to be in the mid to upper teens, way below our normal.

I've got the hog jowls cut and the black-eyed peas are soaking. Collards are canned so they won't take too long. Supper is going to be one of those all I can eat until I'm miserable meals. :sick but :)

One of my resolutions is to clean out stuff that I no longer use. So, I connected with a friend on Facebook and she is going to come by today and "shop" my scrapbooking stash.If she doesn't buy it, she is going to spread the word to her friends about what I have. It's time that that stuff no longer takes up needed space.

Soapmaking really hasn't been my forte either. I haven't had alot of requests for it except for a few close friends. That's OK, cause it's not something that I really enjoy that much. I will probably use the supplies that I have and then call that quits.

In a couple of weeks, it will be time to start peppers in the greenhouse. I want to start those earlier, cause they are finicky about germinating and growing. Seed starting and plant selling is one of my favorite things to do.

I'm still making quilt tops and will continue to do so. That is also something that I really enjoy. I just wish I wasn't so compulsive about buying so much material. But, my eyes do tend to glaze over at times, lol.

My second resolution is to do what I enjoy most and not feel compelled to do something because I need to use up supplies. Supplies can be sold. My time is more valuable to me.

OK, so much for blabbing out loud . . . until I think of something else, lol.

I hope everyone has a wonderful start to their new year!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
punkin, I think you are starting off your new year with a great perspective :clap

I love seed starting too.....it brings suh hope for the future and when those tiny little green sprouts emerge...oh the joy!!! :weee

Talk to me about the selling part though. I am curious how and where you do that. God knows I got the starting part down...it is the money making that I struggle with :barnie

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Really, Dace, the plants almost sell themselves. This is only the 3rd year I have been selling. I've already tripled my first year's sells. It's not a ton of money but it more than pays for itself. I sell top quality plants that are priced less than any nursery, store, etc. in our area.

I don't have much overhead, any employees or the regular expenses associated with a nursery. I can easlily double the cost of seeding and growing. Let's not talk about the time invested, cause I'll never get that back. But, that's OK, cause I like doing it so much.

I started out selling to friends and family - word spread. Friends of a friend of a friend are now calling. My plants are healthy and people can see that when they buy them.

This year, I'm thinking about doing Salsa Gardens - every plant you need for terrific salsa. Chow-chow and relish gardens are in the back of my mind, too.

Plus, a big help has been the economy. More and more people are doing their first gardens or expanding their gardens. I think there is also a trend back to canning. Our area is also big on backyard gardeners.

Pay attention to the number of gardeners in your area. I think you'll have more interest than you can shake a stick at.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I always give plants a way....hmmm perhaps that is where I am going wrong!

I had thought about taking seedlings to the farmers market, but I never pursued it. But maybe I should. There was a guy for a short period of time who had a very nice selection of veggies and herbs, but he had a lot of unusual stuff that I don't think appeals to the average home gardener.

What do you plant your seeds in? I use newspaper pots, but to sell I wonder if people would appreciate that they are started in a biodegradable package or prefer plastic pots?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I always go for a biodegradable pot when I purchase my started plants as much as possible. I think they have less transplant shock if you can simply bury pot and all.

Just my opinion.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Dace, make sure and check your state laws regarding selling plants. Here in TN, you must be certified by the State. I'll get mine this year. I will fall just under the commercial certification and get a hobby greenhouse certification.

I tried the biodegradable pots and just was not impressed by them. The pots seem to stay moist, but the soil dries out very quickly. I get all my potting supplies wholesale since we have an agricultural tax ID#. They are really not that expensive, plus, they look more professional if you are going to sale them.

Alot of people bring their pots and trays back to me. I bleach and wash them to reuse. However, that is one thing I have to find out if I can do that with a certification. If not, I'll just reuse pots for my own garden.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
BRRRRR!! Woke up to a whopping 13 this morning. Way below our average for this area. It isn't supposed to be above freezing today, so I'll have to switch out frozen chicken waterers throughout the day.

So far, I've sold over $185 worth of scrapbooking stuff. Way less than I paid for it, but, money beats extras taking up space anytime. I completely cleaned out one storage cabinet and fit the rest in a second cabinet. Now, I can organize my material and sewing supplies better.

Yesterday, I used a couple of jars of tomato sauce and discovered I have only one left. So, gotta get those frozen tomatoes out of the freezer and get busy.

Went to Goodwill Thursday and got a 16 qt enameled stockpot for $4 and a nice enameled saucepan for $3. I don't think either have ever been used. Today, I'm going to a brand new Goodwill about 20 miles from here. Looking forward to what I might find there.

Thursday, they are forcasting substantial snow for TN. Very exciting, since we don't have very many. Maybe it's just a ploy by the grocery stores to sell bread and milk . . .