Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I gotta tell ya'll about the cool day we had, and the fun visit with Bourbon Red...but to re-cap my January Barter with BR, so ya'll will be UTD...so to speak..

January went to BR's and brought home a pair of Embdens (who are nesting and sitting one what looks like 20 eggs!), a Tom Turkey for DH (because we thought we already had a hen - we thought wrong!), and Dash Jr., young Muscovy duck from ofg's muscovies. My end of the deal was to supply him with some chickens when I had some available.

So, I first need to tell you my messed up phone call from last week.

I called BR. At least I thought I had. I had dialed the number that I thought was BR's and told him I'd meet him at Roger's on Friday with his promised birds. He said, "OK!"

Well, Friday was getting nearer, and I realized I wasn't going to get to Roger's, because things had changed.

So I called BR again, and asked for him by name. I was told, "there's no ____ here."

WHAT?! it was the same number I had called earlier that week!

Panicking, I start looking through all my info I had to contact BR, and found the correct number!

WHEW!!

So I called, and BR answered. That conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey, is this _______?
BR: Yep.
Me: OK, whew, I just dialed a wrong number!
BR: "chuckles"
Me: So I was calling to tell you that I won't be at Roger's tomorrow.
BR: Ok, I didn't know you were going to Rogers.

What?!

I asked: Didn't I talk to you earlier this week?
Him: Nope.
Me: Well, I talked to somebody, and arranged to meet Someone at Rogers!
Him: Not me!

LOL

How screwed up is THAT?!

So someone was at Roger's last Friday waiting for birds - and I have NO CLUE who I talked to last week!

So anyway, today was the day he came to get his birds, but he didn't just come to pick up and go. He asked for a tour of all the critters, so we obliged him and gave him the grand tour!

He got to see everything! The calves, my BLRW, the near 200 chicks that my friend and I insanely ordered.........everything! We chatted a bit and had a few chuckles.

The funniest part, our 20 month old son was running around completely NUDE! What is it about baby boys wanting to be nudists?! Each of our boys went through this phase - where they preferred to be nekkid to dressed....Our second to youngest felt like it was a state of pride, or a rite of passage, and when he was potty training, he'd rip his clothes and diaper off and run around shouting to the world, "I'm Naked! I'm Naked!!"

:hide

BR laughed it off, so whew! I don't think he thinks we're nuts....though he might be thinking we're closet nudists or something...........

We brought him in and showed him the goslings, and I felt so bad! when I told him the one pair was Pilgrims, you would have thought I'd pierced the man's heart! :( I just know he wanted to stuff his pockets with goslings and take them home! except his wife would have......... oh nevermind...Let's just say he thought better of it, and I'm sure there's peace at his house tonight :gig

It was a great visit, but he eventually had to go. So we said our goodbyes, but I'm certain we'll see more of him and vice versa! (We had a good conversation about pigs and veal, too!)

Anyway, so now I'm working on getting someone else to come for a visit if I can get her to go "off farm" and to the right instead of left. *snicker*

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
golly ...wonder who that would be!?!?!

hee hee hee

what a great visit!!!

:)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
gee, I wonder.

I promise we'll even put away the cuss bank while you're here :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
nah, I don't think I'll have to do that. :cool:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Quail, I don't think you have enough chicks yet :lol:

Do you see chicks in your sleep? how about peeping, Do you wake up at night and hear the peeping? :lol:

Oh the cuteness of it all.
I'd have a house full of baby animals, but mean SO won't let me. :lol:
The doeling are still in the living room at night.

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't go putting away the cuss bank on OFG's account - one little visit would put a kid through college - hehehehe ;)
It was nice visiting and getting to know you guys too - although I thought maybe I had stumbled into some secluded nudist retreat at first.... Thankfully that turned out NOT to be the case.

The pictures of the wild chick insanity though fail to convey the sheer magnitude of the massive chick invasion at QA's place - seriously - I've seen a lot of chicks in my time but that almost made me run for the hills! Hoooweee - that was a lot of chicks!

Fortunately - utilizing breathing techniques, etc. I was able to simply walk away from the goslings (OK - I thought about maybe trading one of the kids - I think my oldest wouldn't have minded staying. He didn't so much mind playing with your daughter - he actually got a littel blush and defensive when I asked him - his response was, "Aw shutup." hehehe.) My wife, however would have had me in court on Monday - I'm sure she has the diocese on speed-dial for annulment proceedings if any geese ever show up here again....

Oh - and of course you're crazy - duh! Aren't we all?!?!?!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Bourbon Red said:
Don't go putting away the cuss bank on OFG's account - one little visit would put a kid through college - hehehehe ;)
It was nice visiting and getting to know you guys too - although I thought maybe I had stumbled into some secluded nudist retreat at first.... Thankfully that turned out NOT to be the case.

The pictures of the wild chick insanity though fail to convey the sheer magnitude of the massive chick invasion at QA's place - seriously - I've seen a lot of chicks in my time but that almost made me run for the hills! Hoooweee - that was a lot of chicks!

Fortunately - utilizing breathing techniques, etc. I was able to simply walk away from the goslings (OK - I thought about maybe trading one of the kids - I think my oldest wouldn't have minded staying. He didn't so much mind playing with your daughter - he actually got a littel blush and defensive when I asked him - his response was, "Aw shutup." hehehe.) My wife, however would have had me in court on Monday - I'm sure she has the diocese on speed-dial for annulment proceedings if any geese ever show up here again....

Oh - and of course you're crazy - duh! Aren't we all?!?!?!
*snicker*! as you were leaving, your oldest son yelled out the window "bye" to my DD and no one else. :gig

E said, and I quote, "I think maybe his oldest boy developed a little crush while he was here."

What if you built a pen waaaaaaaaaaaay out back of your house ....and planted a thick hedge of pine trees around it...thus hiding your geese.

this tho:
My wife, however would have had me in court on Monday - I'm sure she has the diocese on speed-dial for annulment proceedings if any geese ever show up here again....
well, that almost made me hafta go change my drawers! (unlike my young son, I'm NOT a nudist!)