Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
QA, so sorry to hear about your losses. We too have suffered loss in the last week. What a way to end the year. :( We are thinking of ways to improve and make things easier here as well....and drooling over the seed catalog's!

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow good to see ya! Sorry about you losses and illnesses.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I've been really bad about keeping up with journals lately. Sometimes it's easier just to shout out in passing conversation what's happening.

Squeakers is growing like crazy, and we're all enjoying spoiling her. Can't help it, she's just so cute.

We have our first REAL snow of the season today.

Think we finally figured out my allergy - Dawn Dish soap. I washed out 2 paint brushes yesterday after painting some wooden letters for Squeakers bedroom wall. I used 2 drops of Dawn Dish soap, and only touched it with my right hand. This morning, full blown hives all over my right hand and wrist area. I took a lukewarm shower and scrubbed and scrubbed. Hives were gone by this afternoon, thank goodness.

We went to auction this morning, and it was so tempting to get a couple white faced herefords we saw. There was a beautiful heifer, too, and several bulls. We decided to wait as our barn needs cleaned out - heck we just need a new barn - and we still have a few pieces of fence to finish fixing. So the only thing we bought at auction was a flint strike muzzle loader hand gun thingy that E pretty much near wet himself over in excitement. He plans to clean it up and hang it on the wall of his "man cave".

Then it was off to TSC and HAPPY DAY we upgraded our woodburner to an airtight with a blower!!!!!!! whooohooo!! AND it was ON SALE!! WHOOOOT!!! I so love it when we get something we need and it's ON SALE!! For awhile now I've wanted a cast iron kettle for the top of our woodburner, and E said, "Go get your kettle." I'M SO SPOILED!!

Then we bought some chicken feed and puppy treats and a new collar for the puppy and a special bone for Zoe and Earnhardt plus Earnhardt needed a new collar. We were actually hunting for crock type dog dishes for Earnhardt because he carries around, dumps, and chews up the plastic ones.

The very LAST thing we spotted, and I begged for, was a rocking horse for Peyton! It's plush, on wooden rocker, neighs and makes galloping noises, and moves its head and tail!! We got up to the checkout, and it was half price!!!!! I was so excited!!!!

Course she's not big enough to ride it yet, but it's going to be sooo cute on her side of the girls' room!! and she'll be big enough to ride on it before we know it.

It was a pretty good day. Plus we had a sitter for the morning so E and I got to spend time together MOSTLY by ourselves. Squeakers was with us since she's never had a bottle yet.

I have my first chicks of the year ordered. Blue Laced Red Wyandottes from Foley's Waterfowl. Also planning to get a pair of Opal Peafowl from Louden's Farm. Soon, I hope.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, what a productive day! So sorry you didn't get your WFB heifers. As someone who had had Pea Fowl here for a VERY SHORT time.....I can tell you...they are noisy..they CAN and WILL get on top of your house...and BIG POOPS! LOL Might want to rethink that one. Go to a farm where they have them and ask every question you can. I personally....would never have them...UGH! Can't stand the screaming.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Our neighbors had peafowl, so I understand the noise thing.

We're putting them in the old coop with covered run, so no free ranging peafowl here. Once we get a bigger barn build, E said I can have a poultry pen inside a corner of the barn for the peafowl.

Hope to put some turkey pens with attached outdoor runs on any potentially new barn as well. ;)