Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly, I just had to laugh! :lol: Most women would have rolled their eyes at such gifts and stated, "Are you hinting that I should go out in the cold and do chores instead of YOU?"

But not us country gals....I bet you didn't read a thing into such magnificent gifts! I wouldn't either....I LOVE Carhart anything and the right gear makes choring in the cold sooooo much easier. Those coveralls are the BEST and will last simply for years.

I'd brag on a husband like that too... :thumbsup WAY better than flowers or jewelry!!!! :sick

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yes, I'm pretty please with the man God chose for me :)

Today was a productive day, even though we didn't really get started on my coop like I'd hoped.

We DID get the roof done on the house addition though so no more leaking when it rains!

E's brother had come down and helped, or else it wouldn't have all been done today.

Since I wasn't able to work on my coop (they were hogging all the tools today), my BIL said he'll come back again tomorrow and the 3 of us will knock the coop out :) I can't wait!

I've looked at all the different coop idea on the BYC coop pages, and I've picked some features from several different coops that I like that we're going to throw together. E told me to draft up what I want (he was quick to correct me that when you draw building plans it's drafting, not sketching :rolleyes: ) and we'll build what I want.

I'm planning to take progressive pics as I can. No promises on that, though, because I want to get the coop done as fast as possible. It's new residents are coming this week!

Oh, and I also win on location of this coop! It's going in a position of our yard where I can view it from my bedroom window! YAY me! It's a total win!

Friend R called me today and told me that her hubby built me 2 awesome brooder boxes today! I get to pick those up on Monday. I am sure they will house a lot of chicks this year!

It was a wonderfully beautiful day today. Even my bees were out and about! I was so surprised to see them out, but there they were!

Not much else to tell I guess. Squeakers is getting big, rolling over, smiling, sorta laughing, and teething. Right now, her favorite "toy" is a pacifier and a musical plush monkey. And she wants to be held. A lot. LOL

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Aly, I just had to laugh! :lol: Most women would have rolled their eyes at such gifts and stated, "Are you hinting that I should go out in the cold and do chores instead of YOU?"

But not us country gals....I bet you didn't read a thing into such magnificent gifts! I wouldn't either....I LOVE Carhart anything and the right gear makes choring in the cold sooooo much easier. Those coveralls are the BEST and will last simply for years.

I'd brag on a husband like that too... :thumbsup WAY better than flowers or jewelry!!!! :sick
A few years ago, my son's friends were ready to give him the redneck of the year award for what he got me for Christmas. He got me a 16" electric chainsaw. I was thrilled. I had a part break on it a little over a year ago, and hubby can't find the new one. I miss that saw. :(

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
How big will the coop be? I could kick myself for not having had ours bigger..... :he

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
How big will the coop be? I could kick myself for not having had ours bigger..... :he
Just a small coop to house a pair of Mille Fleur Cochin Bantams. The coop will be 4x4 square and probably 4ft tall, on a base built about 36 inches off the ground. We're also building an attached run, covered. I'm also hoping for a cupola on the top of the house part. :lol:

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
BarredBuff said:
Just a small coop to house a pair of Mille Fleur Cochin Bantams. The coop will be 4x4 square and probably 4ft tall, on a base built about 36 inches off the ground. We're also building an attached run, covered. I'm also hoping for a cupola on the top of the house part. :lol:

Ooo I see. They wont be too hefty to space. If I knew now what I knew when we built ours we'd have a 12 by 12. We are growing at an Alarming rate :lol: Right now I have 31 chickens and 2 ducks in the 8 by 8. Next fall we will hopefully have 24 hens w/ a rooster, a pair of turkeys, and a trio of ducks. Then I'd eventually like half a dozen turks. But I free range in tornado weather so we should be okay :p :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
BarredBuff said:

Ooo I see. They wont be too hefty to space. If I knew now what I knew when we built ours we'd have a 12 by 12. We are growing at an Alarming rate :lol: Right now I have 31 chickens and 2 ducks in the 8 by 8. Next fall we will hopefully have 24 hens w/ a rooster, a pair of turkeys, and a trio of ducks. Then I'd eventually like half a dozen turks. But I free range in tornado weather so we should be okay :p :lol:
BB, My hubby knows me pretty darned well. I asked for a "Banty Shanty" I figures 8 x 10 would work for 4 inside pens with runs, and a walkway for feed storage, we built a 10 x 12. Then, when I asked about a new coop, I thought just a "little"bigger than the other one....it is 12 x 30!! We also have an 8x8 Turkey hut...he is good to me, and knows to always go bigger than what I want! LOL

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
When we did ours, I never imagined we'd be contracting all the different kinds :lol: We started with 10 hens. My how we have grown!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I can't stand the cold either. My boss calls me Nanook... it its below about 45 degrees and I have to be outside for more than about 30 minutes, I'll be in my carhart jumpsuit (not the overalls with a coat, the FULL body jumpsuit). I look rediculous, but I am warm. if it is below about 32 and outside for that long I also have on wrist warmers, gloves, and my gator that covers basically everything but my eyes LOL. I'm ALWAYS cold.
Oddly enough, I like snow though. For me, my ideal environment would be about 75 to 85 degrees in summer, and winter with cold and snow but only lasting about 2 months! :gig

I would be THRILLED to receive any of those as a gift, and in fact, I have! LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
First, gather your tools and use an old dilapitated dresser for your woodcutting table!

100_3009.jpg

Then you gather all your materials (we obviously used more than this)

100_3010.jpg

cut down trees that were in the way and low branches that might have been knocked down into the coops from high winds, storms, etc.

100_3011.jpg

Then we worked on the framing of the base

100_3012.jpg

Then we installed the floor joists

100_3014.jpg

Joists are all in, and we levelled it up on flat cement bricks

100_3015.jpg

one sheet of 4x8 half inch osb for the floor

100_3018.jpg

Glued down vinyl tile for the floor

100_3019-1.jpg

and we got the back wall framed in, osb nailed on, and braced up. This is where we stopped for today, plan to work on it more tomorrow and hopefully have it ready for painting on Tuesday.

100_3020.jpg