Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, we got a rip roaring fire going, and then let it burn down a bit before putting the meat on. Since the grates are metal, they get pretty hot, but the bricks fairly stayed cool until we'd had the fire going for awhile.

The bricks hold the heat in like an oven, but we really liked how the hamburgers turned out on it. We thought they turned out better than on the gas grill.

And, think of the $ we're saving not having to buy propane for a grill??

And the cost of building our "grill"?

Zip.

Ok, E says, "sweat" was the cost :lol:

The bricks were given to us for free, and the metal grates are oven racks from our old oven out of the old trailer. :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I just bought 2 packs of Hershey's bars, and I know I have graham crackers and marshmallows also. If you weren't so far away, I'd be right over. :D

Oh, and I use an old oven grate when I cook outside, too. I have a couple at home, and a couple at the farm. 2 of them are from my old oven, the other 2, I trash picked.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOVE the grill! I have been begging hubby to build us one...he just scoffs. So, I ripped the gas parts from the old gas grill, added charcoal...and..well, it works, for now. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We don't use charcoal in it, just wood :) Gives our meat a nice smokey flavor, and the wood comes from our own property!

That's the best part of spring/summer/fall - open fires outside!!!!!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't use charcoal either. I figure w/all the trees we have on this property, buying charcoal is a waste of money. But, I can't quite get hubby to see it that way. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have so got to make me one of those grills!!! Actually I have a design in mind for an outdoor kitchen area, I just need to find a place that sells the fire bricks to line it so I can cook my pizzas on the bricks! I have been wanting to do this for a while, but have yet to find the time. I have most if not all of the materials now :D other than the fire brick that is...

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Simplicity at it's best!
I could even make that!

Where we are going to move, I will need somewhere to cook - this will be one of my first projects!
Warm weather - cooking outdoors
Cold weather cooking - wood burning cookstove

I've NEVER BBQued anything in my life........ I can't wait!:lol: