R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mom and grandma always used glass mayo jars for canning jams. I still have a couple of them. If a regular lid and ring will fit, you can waterbath with it.
This was common early on. At some point they changed the threads to prevent regular rings from working properly to avoid liability issues.

SandBillyGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

SandBillyGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Regular mouth for pint jars, more will fit in a pressure canner than wide mouth pint jars.
Quart jars, go for wide mouth so you can get your hand in them to clean them.

Covid and shortages shook up everyone here and I bet there’s not a one among us that doesn’t have a 2-3 year supply of lids! I’ve put the year on the boxes so I use the oldest first.

Know your prices. Flea markets are usually real high, garage sales and Craigslist are good. I keep the boxes they come for me, it’s easier storage.
Really good to know; thanks! Should I be concerned that anything used will blow the bottom off in my pot? Is there a way I can tell if a jar is weakened before I buy it?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so far we've been lucky to have most people we give jars of things getting the jars back to us. those people who don't return jars won't get any more goodies. we say that up front. one particular person who i'd like to smear his stingy ass name across the internet but i won't would take our jars from his Mom's place when he visited. we stopped bringing her food in jars. :( and no, he isn't poor.