Question for St. Bernard owners....Baby pix of my new..uh..Newfie?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
tortoise......not everyone goes into a dog purchase with such high standards and expectations. It is true that even with two very mellow parents, you can still get a Cujo once in awhile, but I have found if the trainer does their job, the dog will do their job, which is, to be a dog that a family can live with, and not be ashamed of.
I have owned and trained our dogs(12 over the years) and have helped many other people with their dog training, and have only been bitten twice in my life. BOTH times it was a combination of dog+food.

Bee, words to live by: Every Trainer Gets the Dog They Deserve

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree. :)

I was visiting a family the other day who own a GS mix dog...this dog rules this family. Particularly the wife. She ~the dog~paws at her legs and jumps up on her, walks all over her feet and just will not listent to anything she says.

When I arrived the dog didn't jump up on me and only started getting excited when I approached the woman....then she jumped up on her owner, pawed at her legs and otherwise showed dominance moves. I was amazed that this otherwise intelligent lady couldn't see what was going on.

Then the man of the house walked out into the yard the dog actually barked at him and wouldn't stop for awhile! Keep in mind, the dog never jumped on nor barked at the total stranger in the yard...me. :idunno

When I approached this dog she remained calm and responded to my hand signals to sit, lie down, stand and even shook hands/paws. A previous owner had taken the time to train this dog a little and I don't think these folks knew she could do these things.

They couldn't allow her in with the sheep or she would "rip out their throats" and she couldn't be around the chickens for the same reason. Their reason for not trying to train her around these animals? "She's a sight hound and cannot be trained out of these habits."

What in the world??????????? Who comes up with these things??? :he

I could take their dog home and bring back her back a new dog in a few short weeks....but I know they would just ruin the training by their own actions, so it would all be for naught.

I'm no dog trainer, but I am observant...and even I know the basics. :rolleyes:

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have a "friend" that believes the only way to train a dog is with your fist :rolleyes: Every time I go to his house, his dog is so stinking happy to see me because I show him respect and a little kindness. The dog will do whatever I ask of him( and this is a Walker Coon dog) and my friend can't believe it!! The dog won't do squat for him unless he threatens him by showing his fist. He swears that I am sneaking treats to the dog to get him to like me. :rolleyes:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
tortoise......not everyone goes into a dog purchase with such high standards and expectations.
Agreed.

I've been screwed over on dozens and dozens of "rescue" dogs. I've been bitten at least 10x more than anyone else on here.

I have good reason for high standards! :)

When I come into a person's house or yard, the main problem we have is the dog won't misbehave when I am there, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yup. I have 18 dog bite scars on my hands. Not to mention arms and legs. No torso or face bites (yet).

This was the winner for 2009, from a "friendly" pet dog. Dog was on leash, sitting by the owner's side while we were talking. I didn't like the dog's body language and BAM! that was a d*mn fast dog. Usually I don't get bitten!

2009 Dog Bite by tortoise11, on Flickr

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whoa. Are you a vet tech, too? :p
I was on a no-animal-bites winning streak up until last week when I got nailed by a possessed Pomeranian. Dog bites suck!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I almost got bitten once....possessive Springer Spaniel that ruled the roost of my friend's house. They warned everyone not to look in her eyes as she took it as a sign of aggression and would attack.

??????? Who keeps a dog like that???? Of course..not the dog's fault at all, just stupid owners.

So....of course, I couldn't look away from the darn dogs eyes! :p

She lunged and so did I....shoved my hand into her mouth and squeezed down on her lower jaw and rolled her. Wouldn't let go until she was whining and submitted.

Until the day that dog died I was the only one that could approach her or my friend's home without getting barked at and lunged at. She would take one look at me and walk quietly to her dog house.

A person doesn't have to hit but they don't have to take any nonsense either. :/

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Whoa. Are you a vet tech, too? :p
I was on a no-animal-bites winning streak up until last week when I got nailed by a possessed Pomeranian. Dog bites suck!
Haven't worked as a vet tech (I WILL NOT work for my fiance, he's very fussy and hard on his employees!)

But I've been working in the pet care industry for 10 years. Retail, groooming, training, performance stunt dogs, boarding, breeding.... you name it. lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
A person doesn't have to hit but they don't have to take any nonsense either. :/
Ditto. I teach positive clicker training, but I DO NOT put up with any kind of crap from a dog! There are very few cardinal sins, but a dog that commits one will feel my fury.

Consequently, my outside-kennel dog transplant was housetrained very, very quickly. :gig

But seriously, positive training is the way to go for NEW behaviors, but to fix problems corrections really ARE necessary.

Most problems are because dogs are a human creation - bred and born to work. Recently they've become attachment items. They're freakin' bored to tears and acting.

My dogs are super-amazing not just because of careful selection, but also because they WORK. They have nearly constant physical movement and mental stimulation. They are TIRED at the end of a day.

Which reminds me... I gotta make their harnesses and getting them pulling a cart. I want to take walks longer than my son is able to, and I forage for rabbit food as I walk. I'm fundamentally opposed to strollers, lol.