Quick salsa

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
My DH makes the best fresh salsa. It includes..
diced tomatoes - usually fresh not canned - onions, green peppers, cilantro, cucumbers, and a dash of lemon juice. It is soo good!!

I was wondering. Does anyone can their fresh salsa. I have always wanted to try canning some of his salsa and have been afraid to because I have never seen a recipe quite like this. Do you think it would work??
Yes!! Can it! Just follow the directions for regular salsa in the canning book.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks!! I think I will try a batch this next week!! I will let you know how it turns out!!

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love homemade salsas over any store bought. The manufactured ones never have enough burn to them for me! I usually get some great salsa from my Mom but when I bbq and everyone comes they want me to make this strawbery salsa I make. It fun to make your own than just buy it so I just like it better all around.

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks!! I think I will try a batch this next week!! I will let you know how it turns out!!
Parsonswife on BYC has a thread showing her step by step pics of canned salsa, it looks so yummy.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Ozark Hen said:
Parsonswife on BYC has a thread showing her step by step pics of canned salsa, it looks so yummy.
Really, I will have to check it out.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Ozark - I will check it out before I make mine. I am still waiting for the tomatoes in my garden to turn red!! I planted about 25 tomatoe plants because I knew I wanted to can some extra things this year -spaghetti sauce, tomatoe sauce, tomatoe juice, etc. I think I may have gone overboard though!! It looks like each plant has ton of tomatoes on it!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I canned salsa last year. I used the same recipe as I do for fresh, but I used less onion. I prefer to add fresh ones after I open the jar. I filled the jars with the fresh uncooked salsa and put it in a hot water bath, same as for stewed tomatoes. We had just enough to last us til this years tomatoes started getting red.
This year I plan on making more, so I can use them for christmas presents etc.

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Denise, those are the best Christmas presents ever!! My neighbor gave me two jars filled with brownie mix and cookie mix. They were so pretty!! I made her a basket with homemade bath salts and lots of little bath goodies. It is such fun to make the gifts as they are so appreciated. I need to get myself a large canning pot so I can make salsa for the entire year. How many jars did you make?