Rammy's Rabbit Thread

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive been breeding rabbits for about a year now. A friend on BYHs got me interested in doing it, and after searching high and low for suitable breeding stock, I finally found my first buck, a red NZ.

20191226_143115.jpg

Leo

It took me months to find a doe to breed with him. I ended up with a mix breed doe, possibly a Californian/NZ cross. Im not sure exactly if thats all she is, because she has a little blue in her right eye and so Im wondering if she has something else, too.
Doesnt matter, though, since she's has 2 litters and has been a great Mom.
20191013_125926.jpg

Belle

20200208_074123.jpg

Belle and Leo's first litter.

I then went in search of a pedigreed NZ breeding pair and finally found some thru FB. They were only 2 hours away and Ive had them almost a year.
20191102_172546.jpg

Betty White
She didnt take the first time I attempted to breed her. The second time 30 days plus later she did, but only had 4 kits. There was a partially formed still born kit on the wire. That was disappointing.

20191102_172552.jpg

Buckaroo Bonzai

And today, I went and picked up two new additions to my growing herd, 2 Californians.
In honoring the memory of two great members, one from here, Sumi, and a member we lost last year, Latestarter, from BYHs, I named my new bunnies after them.

20200605_190128.jpg

Sumi

20200605_190140.jpg

Joe

They wont be able to breed til this fall but with the two proven doe's I already have, in addition to two more doe's I kept, one purebred REW NZ doe, and one red NZ/Cali doe I kept from the last litters, I will have 5 doe's hopefully having kits this fall.
With the last two litters the proven doe's had, the kits sold pretty quickly, so Im hoping the litters from this fall will too.
We will see!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Neighbor came over yesterday and helped me put up a few hanging cages. I had tried doing it myself but its hard hanging cages and holding a screw and power drill by yourself. The cages are alot sturdier than how I did it before. Now all I need to do is unscrew a bolt and unhook from the carabinors(sp) to clean them.

20200914_170507.jpg

20200914_170455.jpg

20200914_170433.jpg

I put clear plastic behind the cages to catch any accidents. Hopefully next month I can start breeding for baby bunnies. 🐰🐰

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today I set up my pressure washer I got at Home Depot. I made sure ro follow the instructions as to how to properly fill the oil and did so in the house on a nice level surface.
Took it outside and filled the gas tank with ethanol free gas mixed with fuel stabilizer per instructions.
Turned on the gas. Turned on the engine. Pulled the cord and it started after a few tugs. Yay!
Started power washing the wire rabbit cages to get them ready for breeding season. Had to turn off the washer to stretch out the hose attached to the wand.
Pull the cord. Nothing. WTH? It started up no problem before. What did I do wrong? Crap! Did I mess something up already? Ive only used it five minutes!
Keep trying to start it. Wont start. Take it inside and remove this plastic piece on the front of the drain plug thinking maybe thats the problem. Nope. Still wont start.
So I call my neighbor over thinking maybe it needs man-power to pull start it. Dont know why. It started no problem with me earlier. Fine.
So he gets here and sees right away that I have the switch to start the engine in the OFF position. Oops.
Of course, it was something simple. Always is. I hate it when I have moments like that. Im dying my hair black.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been stocking up since last winter. Yesterday I bought a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol. BJ asked why, when we already had one of each and i told him because last winter there was NONE. Need to get more kleenax and paper goods. Got plenty of flour, sugar, yeast, etc. We have plenty of food, not worried about that.

We as a nation, won't collapse. Even with draconian shut downs, which I don't agree with, we will be ok. help your neighbors, friends and family, if possible. Don't let anybody you know go hungry. Almost all of us have enough put back that we can share with those who do not have the foresight to stock up or the money to do so. No need to let them or their children go hungry. While we can't adopt everyone or even become the grocery store for a family, we can help. There are food banks and such for the majority of people's needs, so we can fill in the gaps if needed. And maybe, we can show people how to take better care of themselves and be better prepared for crap just like this.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Amen, sistah!

My DH is the same....why you buying that? Ran out of mayonnaise in the fridge the other day. I put it on the list. DH says - you have another one in the pantry. My answer - yes I do. The reason I have another in the pantry is that I always keep a spare. When I run out of one I buy another spare, lol.

I've been making sure we have things like Band-Aids, gauze, peroxide, Neosporin...basic wound care. My last Jeffers order included several rolls of vet wrap. DH is on ANOTHER additional blood thinner and even a tiny scrape will bleed for hours. Band-Aids don't control it - so for now it's gauze pads and vet wrap. I think I may switch him to Kotex pads! LOL - he would be mortified!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just came in from doing the rabbits nails and nobody is happy with me. :p Most of them needed it to some degree but a couple just needed a few on each foot.
Getting ahold of them by the scruff is challenging on a few. They hunch thier neck down when I grab them there. The male Californian runs laps around the cage as Im trying to grab him. He left a big ol' scratch on my hand the other day when I was transferring him to the stackables. 🙁He and Sumi havent had thier nails done for 3 months so they were overdue. The nails werent too bad, tho.
Poor Buckaroo Bonzai got the worst of it.🐰 Once his nails were done I combed out some more matts and yellow hair. 😝His back end is the worst. He is slowly getting less yellow and turning white again. He was a little stressed out once I got done. 😥I feel bad about that. :hitHis little ears were all red. Hope I didnt hurt him. I laid him on his sides as I combed him and tried to be as gentle as possible.
All the rabbits in the barn have a fan on them so I hope it helps. :fl Once I was done I gave everybody a treat of loose timothy hay. I hope they forgive me. 🥺

Latest posts