Rammy's Rabbit Thread

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The winter storm we had just wasn't any fun.
Yeah, y'all got screwed more ways than you can count. Not just you, but the whole state.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BW had her kits today. 5 live squigly kits. She had one kit that didnt look right that was dead, and three "peanuts"? I guess? She never gave birth her last breeding so Im wondering if she retained them or she is having trouble giving birth somehow?

Here is a pic of the dead kits.
20210307_112129.jpg

As you can see the one kit looks funny. Its very "loose", almost like it has no bone stucture and it doesnt feel solid like normal kits. Then there is these three round ones thst I think are kits that never fully formed.
A friend suggested I give her some colloidal silver and some ACV for an antibiotic and herbal supplements.
Any other suggestions? She seems to be fine otherwise.
I'll take pics of the kits tomorrow. I was checking on her every 30 minutes this morning. She was doing alot of " talking" and didnt want to eat.
At least she had more than 4 this time.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One kit died. Didnt look like it was getting any milk. No hair development. Probably just too weak to thrive.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seperated the kits into thier own cages this weekend. Sexed the kits and Belle had 3 does, 2 bucks. The earless white kit that Eve tried to kill is such a sweetie. I pick him up every day he he doesnt mind. I names him Snowball. He looks like a guinea pig.
BWs kits are 2 weeks old today and already have thier eyes open. Wont be long before they are hopping out and exploring.
I think Im going to buy one sheet of plywood and convert the two door hutch I bought a while back into a double hutch and put it outside. I can put the two does in that, or use it for a grow out cage for the kits. I can just make a divider for the center and put a metal roof ontop. With the cost of wood one sheet of plywood is about all I can afford. I still need to replace the wire floor with something sturdier for NZ rabbits.
No way could I get the wood needed to build individual hutches. Hope the prices go back down soon.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know that Folic Acid deficiency has been implicated as a cause of spina bifida and other neural tube defects in humans. I know nothing about breeding rabbits. But, before I start collecting hatching eggs, I put my flock on human multivits for a few weeks. I grind up the vits, and give the approximate equivalent of 1 pill/100# live wt. of birds. I do believe that this improves my hatch rate and viability.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The earless bunny.

20210322_073559.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just a thought: if that mama is still around, and you wanted to try one more breeding: you might even try putting her on a vitamin regimen, including access to salt water ( or do bunnies still have salt/mineral licks?) And, seeing to it that she has plenty of protein. Of course, the easiest thing to be would be to introduce her to some peas and carrots, with a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic, in a warm water bath.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
She is no longer with us.

Latest posts