Rammy's Rabbit Thread

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, yes, Im having a pity party, but I also realize I shouldnt jump into a pool if I cant swim. You shouldnt argue with someone smarter than you.

it's sad to think that IMO. i don't mind arguing with someone smarter than me or someone who has different experiences, but to me the important thing is if they actually have some reasoning or information behind their conclusions which would be enlightening. some people state their personal opinion as a universal truth. ok, sure, go ahead, but don't expect me to give it any more weight than a single item versus some actual really well done studies or people who've done a lot of research or have the actual experience (if it is a manual process).

in the case of where i don't really know a subject that well i'm ready to listen and be humble (heh)... but i may also argue something just for the fun of it.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive decided to sell my banty hens, one of my junior does from my last litter, and the Californians. Im just going to keep the red buck, Leo, the white NZ buck, and the three remaining does. I plan on keeping a red doe from my NZ doe I bred to Leo this time so when she is old enough, I will have 2 trios.
I can stagger the breedings by doing one trio, then when the kits are weaned and sold, or freezer camp, breed the second trio and give the first two does a break.
I plan to sell a few more chickens, too, to get down to a more manageable amount. Feed bill is way to high.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Belle and Betty White are due Nov 2cnd. Betty was already seen with a haystache so hopefully that means shes pregnant. Belle is laying around alot and looking miserable. Poor bunny.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think I have the Californians sold. Guy is coming 1 1/2 hrs away tomorrow at 10 am to pick them up. He said he has been in and out of rabbits and how hard it was to find purebred stock. I totally understand because I had the same problem finding good rabbits.
I just hope he takes good care of them. The doe is soooo nice. Great conformation. Kind of a squirrel in personality, but I dont mess with them much except the monthly nail trims and health checks. I had thought about keeping her until she had a litter and keep a doe from that but think its best to let them go before I change my mind.
I still have 3 does and two bucks. Thats enough.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We do tend to over indulge in our animals. Sometimes we just have to let some go, so we can concentrate on others that we deem more important to us.

it is much better to know that too IMO instead of letting them fall into neglect and abuse. animals need attention and care to some extent. i do think it better for some animals to have a pack because that is how they're bred/raised/etc. but some other animals need personal attention from the alpha and if that isn't there it can be a depressing thing for them and they can go rather mad. i've known a few dogs that really should not have ever been chained up outside all by themself and left for no company or care really other than the food and water dishes. to me that's so utterly sad and makes me angry enough i'd like to stake the owners out like that for a few months too just to see how they'd like it... grrr!!! sorry, pet peeve rant...