Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Being healthy may be the ultimate Sufficient Self trait.

Several of you here know my DH's struggles with diabetes. He was recently informed that his kidneys are compromised and advised to lower the overall protein content of his diet. Being diabetic he also has to control his carb intake. I'm going to try and post some recipes that meet these particular needs.

What I'd love to see is other folks post recipes that meet their health needs whatever they may be. @NH Homesteader, @baymule, @Britesea, @tortoise (and any others that I may have missed) - I know some of you have posted about a challenge that may have influenced you to alter certain lifestyles. Got a favorite recipe?

Low carb, low fat, low calorie, high-fiber... anything goes!

Maybe you have a tip to help you resist temptation... lay it out there!

My first recipe is something that I've done several times and it doesn't feel like you're giving up anything.

Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili with Avocado

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 2 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into ½-inch cubes
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
  • ½+ tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo* (start with ½ tablespoon and add more to taste, I thought mine was just right with 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin (to taste)
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, or 3 cups cooked black beans
  • 1 small can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, including the liquid (we use tomatoes with chili's)
  • 2 cups vegetable broth (or one 14-ounce can)
  • Salt, to taste
  • 2 Avocados, diced
  • Optional additional garnishes: Chopped fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes, grated cheese, sour cream
Instructions
  1. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, bell pepper and butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are turning translucent.
  2. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the garlic, chili powder, ½ tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers, cumin and cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the bay leaf, black beans, tomatoes and their juices and broth. Stir to combine and cover for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Taste about halfway through cooking and add more chopped chipotle peppers if you’d like.
  3. You’ll know your chili is done when the butternut squash is tender and the liquid has reduced a bit, producing the hearty chili consistency we all know and love. Remove the bay leaf and add salt to taste. (I like to take a potato masher and squash the heck out of the squash!)
  4. You may top with chopped avocado, cilantro, a bit of grated cheese, and/or a dollop of sour cream.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of my meals depends on if my MAJOR medical issue is acting up or if it's just fine. There's times where I need more fiber then there's times where I need less.
It's hard to say so I just go from day to day. I try to plan my meals so I can stay neutral instead of going from one extreme to the other extreme.
I don't really have a recipe that I follow plus I was always told that a good cook nor a chef give up their secrets.
I understand that by giving the members of Sufficient Self a recipe of mine I might be able to assist someone else who has the same medical condition/ issue as me but I do have to apologise for not sharing a recipe of mine.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most of my recipes come from really good chefs who shared their recipes with the masses :) my homemade sausage recipe, for one! Thanks Alton Brown, lol

I'll have to go look and see what I can come up with... Hmm...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I LOVE me some Alton Brown! And especially glad that google is full of recipes that other folks share - especially when I'm brain dead and don't feel like being creative on my own!

Since DH and I are looking at lower protein options I was kind of surprised when I read today that meats with more fat have less protein. Hello BACON!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most of my recipes come from really good chefs who shared their recipes with the masses :) my homemade sausage recipe, for one! Thanks Alton Brown, lol

I'll have to go look and see what I can come up with... Hmm...

So what's the recipe? All the store bought sausage mixes have SUGAR in them! :tongue

@frustratedearthmother make sure that you don't cure your bacon with SUGAR!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - nope - I used maple syrup last time! I've got another slab in the freezer that needs to be cured - might need to find another recipe...
Last bacon I made I brined in salt water in the refrigerator, then smoked it. Every darn recipe I find calls for sugar in some form or another.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It does have brown sugar in it, but will often skip the sugar and it's still great. I guess I'm gonna have to go dig it out for you guys.... I have a sleeping baby holding me hostage so not right now! Lol