Real Men Eat Veggies - and other healthy recipes!

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It took about a decade of marriage before MY husband reached real manhood, then, as he was raised by an Oklahoman mother whose idea of veggies with supper began and ended with wilted iceberg lettuce salad (bacon grease dressing) and green beans boiled for 20 minutes in -- bacon grease. (Picture the expression on my face when I had to choke a serving of each down and pretend politely that I enjoyed it.) While we were dating, I introduced my husband-to-be to salad bars and -- TRUE STORY -- first trip through, he proudly showed me his bowl full of iceberg lettuce, two cherry tomatoes, some carrot shreds, and a cup of thousand island dressing. So I spent years serving variations of broccoli, spinach, squash, Brussels sprouts, healthy lettuces, etc. before he would willingly eat veggies. (Never got over the lack of bacon grease, though.)

Even with his health issues now, we just try to eat a reasonable amount of complex carbs, fish, chicken, lots of veggies, and an array of fruits. Neither of us drinks soda or partakes of junk foods. Okay, I'll admit I serve bacon with waffles, heh.

I will look through my recipes to see if there's something you might be able to use.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm no help. Hubby is a carb addict but at home I usually a simple veggie heavy dinner with a bit of meat. Too much meat to help with a low protein diet.

If Im just cooking for me I'll stir fry some veggies in olive and sesame oil, then add some concentrated chicken broth, and tamari with a tiny dash of fish sauce.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Calista, I haven't figured out how to post links with the phone I'm using, but there is a recipe thread here somewhere that many people post recipes on. I know there are lots of great recipes there. There's another thread you might like that's what people had for supper that will make your tongue SWIM!:drool

I rarely use recipes. Many years ago, I was the one in the family that rarely ate anything green. Vegetables for me consisted of corn, green peas, corn, carrots, corn, and fresh tomatoes. :lol: My husband was the one who ate everything.

Now things have switched. Supposedly every 7 years, we have a whole new set of taste buds. I can't verify that, but I've seen our tastes changing a lot over the years. Right now, my husband is on chemo, and has been avoiding almost all vegetables. But I can't taste them the way he does right now.

Over the years, I've used many ways to introduce vegetables in a way I would eat them, and now I love them. One way is to have something like spinach available. I dice it super small and add it to gravies, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, etc. I'd make my own chicken or beef broth and dice veggies like celery, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and spinach very small and let it cook in longer so my kids wouldn't know they were in there. I'd make zucchini bread, and make it pretty by adding thin sliced almonds on top. Make a chocolate zucchini pie, and just not make a big deal about the zucchini. Add just one veggie at a time, rather than trying to force him to eat many. Make muffins with a small amount of veggies the first time, and very gradually increase them only after he likes the first batch. Coming from that side of the fence, you'll get much further faster by making the food enticing than you will by trying to force feed him. Don't try to belittle his choices. Just incorporate small amounts of veggies in to what he already eats gradually.
Last night I had a spinach salad with strawberries, tomatoes, blueberries and almonds, with a raspberry vinaigrette (I HATE vinegar, and am with your hubby on the ACV. I have to choke it down so I usually skip it.)
In another post someone mentioned kale and iodine. I have an iodine deficiency so I do have to be careful with spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, and several other veggies. Now that I like them, I have to limit them... Such is life. All things in moderation, even veggies. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This recipe would be right up DH's alley...he LOVES sausage, and peppers!

Low Carb Sausage and Pepper Soup

• 32 ounces pork sausage
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 10 ounces raw spinach
  • 1 medium green bell pepper
  • 1 can tomatoes with jalapenos
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • 1 teaspoon onion Powder
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add sausage to the pan.
2. Once the sausage is seared on one side, mix it together to allow it to cook slightly.
3. As the sausage cooks, slice green pepper into pieces. I optionally add 1 jalapeno more because I prefer the spiciness of fresh jalapeno.
4. Add the peppers and stir everything together well. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the tomatoes and jalapenos from the can and stir once more.
6. Then, add the spinach on top of everything and place the lid on the pot.
7. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 6-7 minutes.
8. In the mean time, measure out all spices and grab your beef stock to have handy.
9. Once the spinach is wilted, mix it together with the sausage. Then add the spices and mix again. Lastly, add the broth and mix once again.
10. Replace the lid and cook for 30 minutes covered, reducing heat to medium-low.

This makes a total of 6 (1-cup) servings of Low Carb Sausage and Pepper Soup. Each serving comes out to be 597.67 Calories, 50.25g Fats, 6.86g Net Carbs, and 27.03g Protein.

I've gotta say I'd probably cut down on the sausage just to make it a little lower in calories...and/or increase the stock a little which would also dilute the calories a bit.

This is definitely going on my "to try" list!

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found some of my old hippie recipe books from the Seventies, including this one:

oats-peas-beans.gif

Used to make these complete-protein waffles all the time, very tasty:

PINTO BEAN-OAT WAFFLES
These just might be the best waffles you've ever eaten...

2 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup soaked pinto beans (approximately 1/2 cup dry)
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
newsletter-waffle-iron.gif
Soak beans several hours or overnight. Drain. Combine and blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until light and foamy, about 30 seconds. [TIP: if you don't have room for all the water, then mix the batter with half the water and add the other half to your bowl of batter.]

Let stand while waffle iron is heating. The batter thickens on standing. Grease waffle iron (we like the Waring Pro waffle iron, shown here) with a cooking spray or high-quality solid shortening. Bake in hot waffle iron for a full 8 minutes. (Very important!).

Top with fruit and yogurt, bananas and peanut butter, stewed apples, rhubarb sauce, or creamed broccoli and chicken or smoked salmon (my favorite) . Makes 3 to 4 waffles. TIP: Soak extra beans, measure and freeze them for later. The waffles can be made and frozen, too. Just pop them in the microwave or toaster oven.

http://www.plantea.com/oat-bean-waffles.htm

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Who would have ever thought to put pinto beans into a waffle? But, let me get this right....you don't COOK the beans? Just soak them over night and then blend? And, just noticed - no eggs! I don't have a waffle iron anymore :( I'd sure give them a try if I did....pancakes maybe?

Latest posts